autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4 Steps to restore single paint paint - 1972 Mercedes-Benz 280 SE

Awesome job, Mike!

Would you remove the emblems on the trunk lid to get behind them or use a different technique to polish the small, tight areas? Thanks.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post

The only alteration to Mike's method was rubbing down the paint four times with the Meguiar's #7

It really rejuvenated the old paint.
    If a person has the time and is working on really neglected single stage paints, then definitely do more applications and use the product really wet or heavy. It's one of the rare instances where,

More is better

And of course, allowing the oils to soak in for some length of time, even overnight. The reason for this is explained in this part of my article but I think the pictures do the talking...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

This is key...
    Saturation Application --> The First Application
    This is a mostly unknown technique and that is to let the first application penetrate and soak into the paint for up to 24 hours before wiping the product off. The idea being to really apply the product wet and work it in really well and the walk away.

The idea is to allow the heavy concentration of oils to penetrate and seep into the paint for maximum saturation before removing the product and continuing with the process. In this case I finished applying the first application of #7 around 9:00 pm and then left the #7 to soak in until the next day. I started wiping the product off then next morning right about 10:00am.

Some will argue if this works or not but my experience is that with a porous single stage paint it does in fact help. One thing for sure it can't hurt.

Paper Test for Capillary Action
    If you place a few drops of #7 onto a piece of paper and then monitor it over a few days you will see the oils in the #7 migrate or seep away from the actual drop of product. It does this through capillary action and the same thing can work to your car's paints' advantage if it's a single stage lacquer or enamel paint.

I placed a few drops about the size of a nickel on a piece of standard printer paper around 3:00pm.

The next day I took these pictures at approximately 10:00am, (19 hours later), note how the oils in the drops of #7 have migrated outward via capillary action.

Feeder Oils penetrate or feed the paint
    This same effect can take place in a single stage paint but not only will the oils travel horizontally, they will also travel vertically, that they will penetrate downward "into" your car's paint and this is where the term feeder oils comes from as the oils penetrate into or feed the paint. The result is they will condition the paint restoring some level of workability as compared to just working on old dry paint, and they will also bring out the full richness of color, something that will showcase the beauty of your car's paint.

I have a number of hot deadlines for other projects so we could let the #7 soak in but you can see in the pictures, just by rubbing it in really well pushed the oils into the paint to rejuvenate the richness of color.

Quote Originally Posted by 74 thing View Post

Did Wayne like the results, and did he leave with a box full of new detailing supplies?
    Wayne was very happy with the results and the newly learned skills and knowledge...

By restoring the ORIGINAL paint we actually added value to the car, at least in my humble opinion as compared to re-painting not to mention the cost to repaint a car like this the correct way.

One thing I point out is my original article on this topic stresses these types of procedures are NOT for everyone as some people will simply take their old car and compound it. If that works for them it works for me.

But if you read the first few paragraphs I state that my method for restoring "antique" and "original" single stage paints is for the person that it's IMPORTANT to "them" to do everything they can to preserve the original paint because they DON'T want to repaint.

This would include a lot of cool Barn Finds, or Barn Treasure. Here's the article...

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Quote Originally Posted by jwgreen6 View Post

Awesome job, Mike!

Would you remove the emblems on the trunk lid to get behind them or use a different technique to polish the small, tight areas? Thanks.

My normal practice and recommendation is to first ask the owner to remove any emblems, script or trim BECAUSE when working on older cars the owner is likely more familiar with these component and how to safely remove them.

They will often know which trim components can be remove and which cannot due to location or because to remove them could mean breaking them.

Also, a lot of classics and antiques used pot metal for trim, emblems and script and often times when you remove the speed nuts or regular nuts off the back of the threaded posts, the posts will snap off. It's better this happens to the owner and not you.

Besides the above, the answer is "yes" I will try to remove as much trim as I can and I've documented that in a number of write-ups.

Just to note, when I worked on Wayne Carini's 1953 Hudson Hornet, I asked him to remove the "Hornet" script off the trunk and he was happy to do so and he did point out to me that he didn't mind doing it because he was aware the mounting posts could potentially break off and for this reason he wanted to be the one to un-bolt and remove it.

This emblem....

Great questions...

Post Thanks / Like

I posed a question to Mike in a PM on an upcoming project that is similar to this project, and that was that I noticed he didn't start with claying the paint.

Was that intentional or is it just assumed that the paint has been properly cleaned/clayed before you start at step one: heavy/wet application of Meguiar's #7?

He had a good and reasonable response. He said: "If you clay the paint, you'll load your expensive clay up with dead paint.

Rubbing the paint down AGGRESSIVELY with the terry cloth will remove the top dead layer of paint and with it much and even most or all of any above surface bonded contaminants. Things are different when you work on single stage than when you work on clear coats.

Chances are you won't need to clay but check with the baggie test AFTER the first polishing step, (after wiping off the #7)."

It's a good point that I didn't realize. Just thought I'd pass it along.
    "The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be." --- Socrates

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AC in OC View Post
    I posed a question to Mike in a PM on an upcoming project that is similar to this project, and that was that I noticed he didn't start with claying the paint.

Was that intentional or is it just assumed that the paint has been properly cleaned/clayed before you start at step one: heavy/wet application of Meguiar's #7?

He had a good and reasonable response. He said: "If you clay the paint, you'll load your expensive clay up with dead paint.

Rubbing the paint down AGGRESSIVELY with the terry cloth will remove the top dead layer of paint and with it much and even most or all of any above surface bonded contaminants. Things are different when you work on single stage than when you work on clear coats.

Chances are you won't need to clay but check with the baggie test AFTER the first polishing step, (after wiping off the #7)."

It's a good point that I didn't realize. Just thought I'd pass it along.
    Good stuff...that's for adding that in on this thread.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: 4 Steps to restore single paint paint - 1972 Mercedes-Benz 280 SE

Can't thank you enough Mike. I'm no youngster, and for years now Ive had new cars, and always kept them nice..My wife would say Im obsessed, but hey...At least Im not out spending time and money on worse vices eh?

Anyway, my stepson came to me asking how to detail his '87 F150 which is in excellent shape, but really needing some care. I had to confess that it's been so long since I've done such a big job, that I'd have to look into it.

Back in the day, I would have gotten a can of polishing compound, some wax, and as many rags as I could dig up. I knew you'd have a better way to do it and here it is!

To be honest I usually shop for the best price I can find for products, but the wealth of info you share with us is worth so much, that I couldn't in good conscience, go somewhere else to save a few bucks.

I appreciate all the work you put into this forum, and very much respect your approach to business

Thanks Again
    Ed
    San Diego

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by usavageu View Post

Can't thank you enough Mike. I'm no youngster, and for years now Ive had new cars, and always kept them nice..My wife would say Im obsessed, but hey...At least Im not out spending time and money on worse vices eh?

Anyway, my stepson came to me asking how to detail his '87 F150 which is in excellent shape, but really needing some care. I had to confess that it's been so long since I've done such a big job, that I'd have to look into it.

Back in the day, I would have gotten a can of polishing compound, some wax, and as many rags as I could dig up. I knew you'd have a better way to do it and here it is!

To be honest I usually shop for the best price I can find for products, but the wealth of info you share with us is worth so much, that I couldn't in good conscience, go somewhere else to save a few bucks.

I appreciate all the work you put into this forum, and very much respect your approach to business.

Thanks Again
    Ed
    San Diego

Wow Ed... thank you for the kind words...

Hopefully someday when I move on I'll have left some type of positive effect on this earth and in the car world...

Post Thanks / Like

mike how much do i have to pay to bring a car down since i can never seam to make your class? hahaha

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by wompasaurus View Post

mike how much do i have to pay to bring a car down since i can never seam to make your class? hahaha

Well we don't operate it like that but I know what you mean...

There's a great class coming up at the end of this month and then next year we hold our detailing bootcamp classes the same time,

Last week of January

First weekend in May

Last weekend in September

You can always click on the Autogeek's Show Car Garage Detailing Bootcamp picture at the top of each page to get registered.

Super Member Pinpoint_Precision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It always amazes me the awesomeness of Meg's #7. When I worked with Mike on the 1955 Desotor Firedome, I was amazed on what a huge difference it made with just applying that, then we polished, repolished and finished it off with Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax
    , which btw, it happens to be my favorite wax. Amazing turn around for sure.
    Pinpoint Precision Auto Detailing
    Modesta Glass Coating | Suntek Ultra PPF

Http://www.pinpointprecisionautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Mike after reading this post and your other of the 1970 ranchero I was wondering why #7 can't be applied by machine and worked into the paint?
    PCB Reflections LLC
    Specializing in Corrections and Protection
    Servicing Greenville SC & Surrounding Areas

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast