autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Detailers that hang out on discussion forums know more than detailers that don't...

Detailers that hang out on discussion forums know more than detailers that don't...

It's just as easy to do things the right way the first time as it is to do things wrong all the time. Like I always say,

"Detailers that hang out on discussion forums like AGO know more than detailers that don't hang out on forums at all"

A great detailer brings four things to the table...

1. Knowledge
    2. Skill
    3. Experience
    4. Passion

Knowledge is shared, transfered and obtained via detailing discussion forums better and faster than any other media.

Anyone agree or disagree? Make your case.

2. Likes LSNAutoDetailing, Jim w, Loach liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailers that hang out on discussion forums know more than detailers that don't...

I agree Mike. There is a big difference in knowledge between us that hang out here and the "other guys" that just pick up a rotory, glaze, and whatever pad they can get there hands on at that moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailers that hang out on discussion forums know more than detailers that don't...

Mike, I was going to start a thread on this a couple of weeks ago and quote you as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I remember when I first stated out we didn't have discussion forums to get help and I had to ask the people around me for their "opinions".
    The problem was their opinions were wrong and I almost ruined my first custom paint job on my second car, which I pulled out of a barn and fixed up and then saved my money to get a custom paint job.
    I remember that experience like it was yesterday and that's why I like to share with people how to do it right the first time so they won't have to do it a second time.
    ...detailers that hang out on detailing discussion forums tend to know more than detailers that don't for the simple fact that it's in the forum world where all the newest technology is introduced and discussed and then used and then shared whether good or bad.
    That's a fact.
    What's more important is to find what works best for you but always be open to new ideas, products and process.
    Further, I was going to remark about how right you were and how forums have revolutionized the ability to learn about complicated hobbies or become better at your avocation...but you kind of beat me to it.

Post Thanks / Like

...It's just as easy to do things the right way the first time as it is to do things wrong all the time. Like I always say,

...Knowledge is shared, transfered and obtained via detailing discussion forums better and faster than any other media.

Anyone agree or disagree? Make your case.

First of all let me say how much I appreciate your leadership, knowledge, and passion in this discipline of vehicle maintenance.

Thanks for all that you do...and the way that you do it!

I've learned much here and have even altered my less than desired practices thanks to the forums and one on one guidance in pm's and phone calls.

One issue that has always caught my attention is the political correctness and restraint when questionable alternatives are posted. I realize that one has to cinsider the source, and that post count doesn't matter, but some responses to a dilema are highly objectionable.

There are those here that walk the walk, Setec, IID, oldmodman, Funx725, silverfox, and too many others to list...and when they talk the talk, I listen and compare my method/products to theirs. The fact that an old hand (50) like me can still learn and progress is a positive attribute that only forums can provide in this modern area of every jo blo having a soapbox to stand on.

Edit: as a matter of fact, I'll be ringing dad07's phone soon to get a little guidance in his technique for megs mf system, as I'm all about the Optimum Line.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Agree! It's all about immersion and willingness to continually improve. And what better place than to see a popular forum with tons of combined experience and diverse approaches and perspectives. What I never considered a lot before I joined AGO, was how much regional weather affects one approach vs. another.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    First of all let me say how much I appreciate your leadership, knowledge, and passion in this discipline of vehicle maintenance.

Thanks for all that you do...and the way that you do it!
    I'll add that his leadership of internet netiquette alone is worth the price of admission, for sure.

I'm amazed at how far my knowledge has come on various topics through professionals who give their time and share information through various internet forums. It's certainly a fast way to communicate. A new product can be released and before the end of the day the information is spread across the world for all to see.

Can someone asnwer a question I had that spurred from this thread? Didn't want to hijack this thread so here's the link to where I posted my question: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tml#post754659
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I'm always still learning and consider myself a newbie still, but I have learned SO MUCH in the past few months!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

Further, I was going to remark about how right you were and how forums have revolutionized the ability to learn about complicated hobbies or become better at your avocation...but you kind of beat me to it.

You had all weekend...
    (I was offline doing car guy stuff)

I remember when "Blogs" were introduced and someone told me it was the next evolution if discussion forums....

I replied and said at that time which was probably around 2007 or 2008 that the "blog format" would be good for news reporting and that proved to be true. They have not and will not take the place of the discussion forum format and to be honest, I can't really see anything moving into the future that will improve upon the discussion forum style format that we're typing in right now.

You can add pictures, video, links and text. What else is there that matters?

And... as long as the person that owns the forum pays their bill the content remains and is searchable and indexed by sites like Google. Pretty powerful. That's why I also stress to people to take the high road and keep their posts or their online personality and even online character professional. One word... transparency. People can know you and your character by your posting history.

I'd go a step further and say that sometimes newer isn't better. I for one do not like the newest versions of vBulletin. Maybe I have not been on a "new" vBulletin software site that has been laid out really well and that could be the problem but for all the sites that have upgraded I will rarely go to, post to, read or hang out on these forums due to the horrible interface. Here's an example where the classic interface wasn't broken and there was no need to fix it. AGO uses the classic style.

Back on topic...

I started this thread because I find myself saying the above quote all the time, both online and offline. Discussion forums are where it's at... in fact, when I brought up the MOL forum back in 2004 I wrote the forum's introduction that for years was the first paragraph on the MOL forum homepage.

It's now a link you click to and shows up under Mike Stoops post but I originally wrote the text and it goes like this,

Welcome to the Meguiar's Online Discussion Forum!
    As the Internet has evolved, discussion forums have become the primary way like-minded people come together to share their passion and their interests. Here on Meguiar's Online you'll find lots of friendly and helpful people willing to share their knowledge and experience when it comes to cleaning and polishing every inch of your car, truck or s.u.v.

(Click here for full size image)

And what I wrote is still just as true today as when I originally wrote it.

Post Thanks / Like

When I think of all the hours I've spent in front of this computer reading on this forum it is sometimes unfathomable. I have learned so much as a result of doing it, and not just in regards to detailing either. There are so many lessons that were learned (for me) in so many different areas that I could surely only mention a few.

Besides the auto detailing in itself I have learned and observed patience, an ability to "push away from the keyboard" when patience is at a minimum, friendliness, an ability to "push away from the keyboard" when I'm not feeling so friendly, teachability, an ability to "push away from the keyboard" when I'm not feeling so teachable, humility, an ability to "push away from the keyboard" when I'm not feeling so humble.

Seriously though, I absolutely agree that being a part of an online community where learning something is at the forefront of things is the way to go. In terms of networking with other detailers and just some folks that have a passion for keeping their own vehicles in tip top shape, this is a great place for that too.

I have personally met quite a few folks in person as a result of being a part of the online detailing community that I really liked. Over the years of taking part in this online community I have a large list of other folks that I would really like to meet in person. IMO, that's adding spice to life.

The interaction over the PM system is nice too when some folks may feel a bit vulnerable about posting some questions in the public forum sections. These PMs often lead to a bantering back and forth of ideas and sometimes even lead to a phone call to exchange ideas about how to proceed in a certain situation and both parties often come out of it more enlightened in more ways than one.

The online discussion forums, this one in particular (IMO) is a part of my life that I don't want to be without. The compassion and support from other members here has been nothing short of amazing at times, and at times I just have to "push away from the keyboard"...such is life...I'll hang out and keep on learning...Thanks to all the members who teach me from day to day, whether you know you're doing it or not.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    When I think of all the hours I've spent in front of this computer reading on this forum it is sometimes unfathomable. I have learned so much as a result of doing it, and not just in regards to detailing either. There are so many lessons that were learned (for me) in so many different areas that I could surely only mention a few.

Besides the auto detailing in itself I have learned and observed patience, an ability to "push away from the keyboard" when patience is at a minimum, friendliness, an ability to "push away from the keyboard" when I'm not feeling so friendly, teachability, an ability to "push away from the keyboard" when I'm not feeling so teachable, humility, an ability to "push away from the keyboard" when I'm not feeling so humble.

Seriously though, I absolutely agree that being a part of an online community where learning something is at the forefront of things is the way to go. In terms of networking with other detailers and just some folks that have a passion for keeping their own vehicles in tip top shape, this is a great place for that too.

I have personally met quite a few folks in person as a result of being a part of the online detailing community that I really liked. Over the years of taking part in this online community I have a large list of other folks that I would really like to meet in person. IMO, that's adding spice to life.

The interaction over the PM system is nice too when some folks may feel a bit vulnerable about posting some questions in the public forum sections. These PMs often lead to a bantering back and forth of ideas and sometimes even lead to a phone call to exchange ideas about how to proceed in a certain situation and both parties often come out of it more enlightened in more ways than one.

The online discussion forums, this one in particular (IMO) is a part of my life that I don't want to be without. The compassion and support from other members here has been nothing short of amazing at times, and at times I just have to "push away from the keyboard"...such is life...I'll hang out and keep on learning...Thanks to all the members who teach me from day to day, whether you know you're doing it or not.

Nice post Dave, as normal...

The "push away from the keyboard" is also a saying I came up with for myself first of all, that is knowing when I need to push away from the keyboard and get out of "forum world" for a while.

It's also something I've recommended to others for years for the same reasons...

It's all too easy to get all caught up in a heavy and heated discussion when in reality it's just car wax. (or polish or pads, or etc.).

Fact of the matter is, a person haning out on a detailing discussion forum has more in common with the other members than differences... think about it...

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast