autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailers that hang out on discussion forums know more than detailers that don't...

Thanks Mike for the kind words! I'm just trying to pass along the knowledge others have shared with me.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Mike Phillips

Re: Detailers that hang out on discussion forums know more than detailers that don't...

Quote Originally Posted by Justin at Final Inspection View Post

Thanks Mike for the kind words! I'm just trying to pass along the knowledge others have shared with me.

Thanks for continuing to share your work as it inspires others - including me.

Post Thanks / Like

I am part of a Facebook Detailers group that attempts to do the same thing as this group here.

Discounting that many of the product suggestions that are mentioned there are not sold here, as much as their goal might be to help increase knowledge among the group, it does little to actually succeed in that mission. I joined it with high hopes of adding to the information I have, but it really comes up short.

That is less a complaint about that group than it is a compliment to this. Look - Are there topics here that don't interest me occasionally? Sure. But 98% of the time I spend on this forum is value added.

I don't think a person could read everything on this forum and be an expert without putting polisher to paint. But I do agree that even the least experienced of this group (including me) know more than 90% of the Facebook group I spoke about. So thank you!

4. Likes davey g-force, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Detailers that hang out on discussion forums know more than detailers that don't...

It's just as easy to do things the right way the first time as it is to do things wrong all the time. Like I always say,

"Detailers that hang out on discussion forums like AGO know more than detailers that don't hang out on forums at all"

A great detailer brings four things to the table...

1. Knowledge
    2. Skill
    3. Experience
    4. Passion

Knowledge is shared, transfered and obtained via detailing discussion forums better and faster than any other media.

Anyone agree or disagree? Make your case.

I definitely agree with that Mike. Another quality that they bring to the table is Beneficence. They share their passion and skill with others and want to see them succeed in the same industry/hobby that brings them joy.

6. Likes PaulMys, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Experience is king, but having knowledge allows you to start at a much higher level than someone who knows nothing and just experiments.

I don't often learn things anymore on the forums, but still just answering questions is a good exercise for things you might not be doing often, it
    brings the knowledge back in your recent memory and makes sure it will be there when needed.

Also I often learn about new products here. So that is a good thing too. Of course trying the product is the best way to know if it is something that will
    work better than what you are using right now, but if there is a concensus on the product being good, I think that is when you can say: "Ok I will give it a try when I
    run out of what I am using".

So in my mind if you take two detailers with the same skills and experience, and one of the them is an active member on forums and groups, he should have better knowledge than the other guy. We all only have 24 hours in a day and can't try everything. Using the experience of other has allowed mankind to be where it is at now. So take advantage of it, this is the information age after all.

8. Likes PaulMys, davey g-force, Aaryn NZ, BillE liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    First of all let me say how much I appreciate your leadership, knowledge, and passion in this discipline of vehicle maintenance.

Thanks for all that you do...and the way that you do it!

I've learned much here and have even altered my less than desired practices thanks to the forums and one on one guidance in pm's and phone calls.

One issue that has always caught my attention is the political correctness and restraint when questionable alternatives are posted. I realize that one has to cinsider the source, and that post count doesn't matter, but some responses to a dilema are highly objectionable.

There are those here that walk the walk, Setec, IID, oldmodman, Funx725, silverfox, and too many others to list...and when they talk the talk, I listen and compare my method/products to theirs. The fact that an old hand (50) like me can still learn and progress is a positive attribute that only forums can provide in this modern area of every jo blo having a soapbox to stand on.

Edit: as a matter of fact, I'll be ringing dad07's phone soon to get a little guidance in his technique for megs mf system, as I'm all about the Optimum Line.

Well said

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456