autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailers that hang out on discussion forums know more than detailers that don't...

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    What I never considered a lot before I joined AGO, was how much regional weather affects one approach vs. another.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post

Besides the auto detailing in itself I have learned and observed patience, an ability to "push away from the keyboard" when patience is at a minimum, friendliness, an ability to "push away from the keyboard" when I'm not feeling so friendly, teachability, an ability to "push away from the keyboard" when I'm not feeling so teachable, humility, an ability to "push away from the keyboard" when I'm not feeling so humble.

..,The online discussion forums, this one in particular (IMO) is a part of my life that I don't want to be without. The compassion and support from other members here has been nothing short of amazing at times, and at times I just have to "push away from the keyboard"...such is life...I'll hang out and keep on learning...Thanks to all the members who teach me from day to day, whether you know you're doing it or not.
    You never cease to amaze me.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailers that hang out on discussion forums know more than detailers that don't...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Nice post Dave, as normal...
    Thanks Mike.

The "push away from the keyboard" is also a saying I came up with for myself first of all, that is knowing when I need to push away from the keyboard and get out of "forum world" for a while.

It's also something I've recommended to others for years for the same reasons...

It's all too easy to get all caught up in a heavy and heated discussion when in reality it's just car wax. (or polish or pads, or etc.).
    I added the "quotation marks" so you'd know that I learned that from following your lead. Thanks for all that you do.

Fact of the matter is, a person haning out on a detailing discussion forum has more in common with the other members than differences... think about it...
    No doubt about it. I came here because I was totally confused about how to proceed with my new "Mega Cyclo Kit" (particularly the different color foam pads) and over time I gained a sense of belonging.

[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    +1

You never cease to amaze me.
    Thanks VT, You are definitely on my "want to meet in person" list. In fact, your interest in detailing and also the radio hobby puts you right up to the top of the list.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Thanks VT, You are definitely on my "want to meet in person" list. In fact, your interest in detailing and also the radio hobby puts you right up to the top of the list.

Same here...

AFter talking/typing to people for y-e-a-r-s on a forum I find it very rewarding to meet them in person and put a face to an Avatar.

Had that chance recently at the Evansville GTG...

Pictures with Dennis Gage at the Evansville Detailing Class

Evansville GTG

Been discussing detailing with 2old2change aka Paul since 2005, that's 7 years.

Been talking to Bill aka Hoytman since June of 2011 and various other guys for sometime in-between.

Post Thanks / Like

Turns out Mr. Phillips and I share some other related interests as well.

Sometime ago, before I ever heard of an online "auto" forum I had heard the term pushing away from the keyboard. I also heard something else that I'll share.

I met a retired teacher at a seminar in 2003. He and I were discussing one of our shared internet forums and some of the personalities there. He told me that he reached a point on forums that he placed a yellow post-it note on the side of his monitor that reads, "Is this really necessary?" This was to remind him to "take the high road" that Mr. Phillips eludes to so often.

While I never have actually placed a post-it note on my monitor there's a stark image of that post-it note burned into my mind that always serves as a reminder.

The internet serves as this great multi-media and networking tool that can help you tremendously, or it can hurt you. I prefer to help and be helped.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    I'm always still learning and consider myself a newbie still, but I have learned SO MUCH in the past few months!
    +1.Special thanks to all experienced pro detailers always ready to share their knowledge.
    Johny.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a lot of love in this thread!

But seriously, I agree with everything that's being said. I feel so comfortable and have learned so much here and on other detailing forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

I would have never knew I had a passion for Detailing until I somehow found Autopia back in 2003. At that time I believe the three biggies were them, MegsOnline and Detail City. A few others scattered around but that's where I spent most of my time. It sometimes surprises me that there are folks who don't use any kind of forums; they're all over, about everything and anything.

It's so cool finding, hanging and learning with like minded people, I really dig it.

So yes Mike I agree.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't agree more! I've been detailing for several years but feel like I've opened a whole new book on the detailing world when I joined AGO in September! I was fortunate to get in on the Evansville GTG, and meet Mike Phillips, Dennis Gage, Scott Molden, PorsheGuy999, FlawlessJ, Hoytman, 2Old2Change, and more, and have learned so much in such a short time!

At the end of the day its great to just get to spend some time conversating with guys who enjoy a flawless show car shine as much as I do! People who have experienced and can relate to the detailing world! I can honestly say everytime I log in I learn something new and I thank you all for that!
    Keep Calm... and Detail On!

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't agree more with Vegas Transplant. I too appreciate you and this forum. This is the only forum in which I have ever participated and probably ever will. Other forums are contentious and are full of cursing and know it alls. The patience that you have with mine and others questions is appreciated. I am not a pro detailer but thought that I knew a lot until I found this forum. Man, you guys know your stuff and I didn't. Thanks Mike and thanks to all the members who have helped me learn so much in such a short time.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast