autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: How To Use The Flex 3401

Quote Originally Posted by Toxix View Post

Obviously this isn't the case, what pad sizes are people using now?

You mean,

What size pads are people using with the Flex 3401?

or

What size pads are people using with the Porter Cable type polishers?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    You mean,

What size pads are people using with the Flex 3401?

or

What size pads are people using with the Porter Cable type polishers?

I'm also curious which size pad you prefer on the flex. I've been using 6.5" pads with great results but have always been curious how much more cutting power could be had by dropping pad size down to 5.5". I've pre-ordered a 75E mini with 4" pads for intricate work so dropping pad size on my flex would not be for intricate work. Only to increase cutting power. Would it be worth it?

Post Thanks / Like
    If I recall correctly, Mike will recommend the 5" flat hybrids. Need the LC interchangeable backing plate as well.

I recently started using those, and like them better than the 6.5 CCS pads I had been using.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Just02896 View Post

I'm also curious which size pad you prefer on the flex.

I've been using 6.5" pads with great results but have always been curious how much more cutting power could be had by dropping pad size down to 5.5".

I've pre-ordered a 75E mini with 4" pads for intricate work so dropping pad size on my flex would not be for intricate work. Only to increase cutting power.

Would it be worth it?

In my opinion and experience, if you're going to have and use a Flex 3401 then getting the Lake Country Adapter Plate System so you can get the 4" backing plate is a MUST.

5" pads fit so many panels better than 6.5" pads. The idea being not to buff on a raised body line or an edge.

Last night I buffed out my own truck. Classic Chevys like mine have HUGE flat panels so I used a 6.5" pad on the Flex 3401. But for most newer cars you want and need smaller pads. Then the ability to switch to the backing plate and pad that works best for the project in front of you is nice.

I just got off the phone with a guy in Houston, Texas. He's buying a Flex 3401 to remove sanding marks out of freshly painted, restored Kawasaki motorcycles.

I strongly recommended he get the backing plate adapter system and 5" Hybrid pads.

FWIW

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

What speeds do you use when working the Optimum MF pad with compound, then polishing?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Sicktred08fsi View Post
    Mike,

What speeds do you use when working the Optimum MF pad with compound, then polishing?

I use the 4-5 setting. I learned a long time ago when writing how-to instructions for Meguiar's to always recommend a range, not a specific number. The reason why is there are too many variables involved for most people and most tools.

An exception to this rule would be the Porter Cable 7424XP. For the most part, if you want to do correction work you want to be on the 6 speed setting. Even with thin pads, small diameter pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up Mike. I have really been thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these. I know you are doing a demonstration at cars and coffee with the FLEX. I won't be able to attend as I will be out of town.

I had a couple questions for you.

1. Would I have to change my technique when using this vs my Shurhold DA polisher that I have now? How much of a learning curve is there with this tool? Or is it pretty user friendly like most DA polishers? I do have plenty of experience with a rotary (Makita 9227c) so I am used to the power of a rotary.

2. Can I use the 5.5 CCS smart pads with it? Or do you recommend buying new pads?

Thanks again. Hope to see you soon.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinss View Post

Great write up Mike. I have really been thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these. I know you are doing a demonstration at cars and coffee with the FLEX. I won't be able to attend as I will be out of town.

I had a couple questions for you.

1. Would I have to change my technique when using this vs my Shurhold DA polisher that I have now? How much of a learning curve is there with this tool? Or is it pretty user friendly like most DA polishers? I do have plenty of experience with a rotary (Makita 9227c) so I am used to the power of a rotary.
    With your experience you'll pick up on how to hold and run the Flex 3401 in not time at all.

2. Can I use the 5.5 CCS smart pads with it?

Yes with a smaller backing plate as the factory backing plate leaves no room for error.

Or do you recommend buying new pads?
    In my opinion, the Lake Country Hybrid Pads are optimized for the Flex 3401. If you get a Flex 3401 you should also get the Lake Country 4" backing plate so you can use the 5" Hybrid pads.

The Flex 3401 with 5" Hybrid Pads turns you into a swirl destroying machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you sir!!!
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I use the 4-5 setting. I learned a long time ago when writing how-to instructions for Meguiar's to always recommend a range, not a specific number. The reason why is there are too many variables involved for most people and most tools.
    Thanks Mike. I appreciate it!!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast