autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: How To Use The Flex 3401

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinss View Post
    Thank you sir!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicktred08fsi View Post
    Thanks Mike. I appreciate it!!!

Always a pleasure....

Post Thanks / Like

How about pressure?? Do you use more or less pressure when using MF pads verses the foam pads??
    And is the Optimum the best choice of MF for the Flex?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle View Post

How about pressure?? Do you use more or less pressure when using MF pads verses the foam pads??
    Not really, when doing any cutting step where you're trying to remove some paint you want to use medium to firm downward pressure after first spreading your product out and the reduce pressure for the last few passes.

Remember, polishing paint is not a grinding process. You're trying to create beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle View Post

And is the Optimum the best choice of MF for the Flex?
    That or the Lake Country THICK MF pads. Forced rotation dual action polishers buff smoother with some cushion versus a hard thin pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice Mike! I know you have been away but I picked up a 3401 and was able to use it on Saturday on a SL 550. I followed your tips and tricks and got great results. Check out my thread. Thanks for the help!!!
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinss View Post
    Great advice Mike! I know you have been away but I picked up a 3401 and was able to use it on Saturday on a SL 550. I followed your tips and tricks and got great results. Check out my thread. Thanks for the help!!!

Just checked it out...

SL550 detailed (First with a Flex 3401)

Looking good!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you from Slovakia for useful tips and tutorials.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Not really, when doing any cutting step where you're trying to remove some paint you want to use medium to firm downward pressure after first spreading your product out and the reduce pressure for the last few passes.

Remember, polishing paint is not a grinding process. You're trying to create beauty.

That or the Lake Country THICK MF pads. Forced rotation dual action polishers buff smoother with some cushion versus a hard thin pad.

Have you tried the 3401 and DAMF using the Meguiar's foam interface pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    With your experience you'll pick up on how to hold and run the Flex 3401 in not time at all.

Yes with a smaller backing plate as the factory backing plate leaves no room for error.

In my opinion, the Lake Country Hybrid Pads are optimized for the Flex 3401. If you get a Flex 3401 you should also get the Lake Country 4" backing plate so you can use the 5" Hybrid pads.

The Flex 3401 with 5" Hybrid Pads turns you into a swirl destroying machine.

I apologize for bringing this thread back from the dead fellas but I have question about Mikes comment here.
    Was there any difference besides size between the 5" Hybrid pads and the 5.5" Hydro Teck pads?
    To put it simple, did the Hybrid pads work harder with the same effort of the user than the Hydra Teck pads?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Inside Man View Post

I apologize for bringing this thread back from the dead fellas but I have question about Mikes comment here.
    First off... never worry about bringing an older thread back to life. I have articles on this forum dating back 8 years now and I would bet that the information in them is just as accurate today as it was when I wrote it. That's my writing style, as I often post here,

I write for the future -Mike Phillips

Was there any difference besides size between the 5" Hybrid pads and the 5.5" Hydro Teck pads?
    The shape of the pad
    The size of the velcro backing
    The foam formula

And all make a huge difference.

The shape of the pad
    The Hybrid pads are tapered. Somewhere I explained on this forum the BENEFIT to a tapered pad. I've never seen any other detailing guru explain this.

The size of the velcro backing
    The size of the velcro backing on a pad simply makes it easier to center the pad and this means longer pad life, better pad and tool performance and less vibration.

The foam formula
    The hydro-tech pads are closed cell and what I wrote in my how-to book about this is,

The above is in my book, The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine BUT I also cover this on pages 14 and 15 in my FLEX how-to book. (I tend to write my books like my replies in the forum/facebook worlds and that's IN-DEPTH as the original source.

To put it simple, did the Hybrid pads work harder with the same effort of the user than the Hydra Teck pads?

They Hybrid pads last longer.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Justin@FinalInspection View Post

Great advice Mike! I know you have been away but I picked up a 3401 and was able to use it on Saturday on a SL 550.

I followed your tips and tricks and got great results. Check out my thread.

Thanks for the help!!!

Sorry I just now found this thread Justin but I've been following your write-ups on our forum and you are indeed kicking butt!

I'm always impressed with your work and thank you for purchasing my FLEX how-to book, reading it and putting the information I shared into use.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast