autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Machine polishing paint - It's not that hard and with modern dual action polishers it's real safe!

Machine polishing paint - It's not that hard and with modern dual action polishers it's real safe!

Note these people are not just "learning" on daily drivers aka new cars, they're learning on someone's "toys" or Special Interest Vehicles. More risk for me, more fun for them...

In the below live broadcast I show a 15 year old boy how to machine polish

Live Broadcast Video - 1965 Plymouth Valiant - Extreme Makeover

And in this one I show a 21 year old girl how to machine polish

Video & Pictures: 1965 Fastback Mustang - Gtechniq EXO Show Car Makeover!

Trista working with the rest of the team to machine polish this 1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2

Trista removing swirls on a show car...

And in this one I show a 80 year old man how to machine polish for the first time...

Video and Pictures - Two 1967 Camaro's - Show Car Makeovers!

And in this shot here's a young couple, probably in their mid-20's learning how to machine polish for the first time.

Here's the point.

In this thread you see 5 people ranging from very young to very old and both girls and guys and they all have one thing in common.

They are MACHINE POLISHING

And if they can do it on these streetrods and muscle cars YOU can do it on your mundane daily driver. All you have to do is simply put away your fears of burning the paint or putting swirls into the paint because as long as you use the tools, pads and chemicals we sell on Autogeek.com and I show here on the forum you're not going to cause any harm to your car's paint.

In fact - you're going to get better results FASTER and you're going to kick yourself for not making the change years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's not that hard...

Very good thread Mike. I love the wide ranging demographic you used as examples. I suppose sometimes I just get discouraged, because sometimes no matter how obsessively I try to keep things "medically clean" and even in air tight containers, and use the best of the best most expensive products... I still end up somehow putting scratches into the paint, or not seeing a dramatic enough change for the better to merit all of that time and those different steps/product stages.

I thoughtfully and honestly explain that to my clients though, and nearly all of my business thus far has all been hand applied services, and my clients are in shock-and-awe when they pick their vehicles up... but I know they would be breathless if I could truly master the art of buffing. I suppose a large part of the reason I don't do it more often, is because I'm such an exaggerated perfectionist, it would be bordering impossible to leave me with a content feeling on a job well done.
    "Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization

Post Thanks / Like

That's what she said.

Post Thanks / Like

^^ Sorry had to do it, I'm immature

Yup, taking that initial plunge is hard, but once you start, you CAN'T STOP!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic_Detailing View Post

I thoughtfully and honestly explain that to my clients though, and nearly all of my business thus far has all been hand applied services, and my clients are in shock-and-awe when they pick their vehicles up...

Actually you can get really good results working by hand it's just the time and labor issue.

Also just to note, most of the car projects we do here at Autogeek, like all the Extreme Makeovers I did for Meguiar's are multi-step procedures and that's because I tend to gravitate towards special interest cars.

That said, most detailers should be doing one-step procedures, that is after washing and removing any above surface bonded contaminants, most detailers should be using a one-step cleaner wax. That's the topic of this article I wrote here,

A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business
    Match your services to your customer

And there's NOTHING wrong with doing one-steps, in fact it's the right thing to do for must your customers and for most cases it will be more profitable.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

As a n00b I appreciate posts like this. I'm not a stupid guy and I am good with my hands and have a solid technical background---but that still doesn't always mean I can jump right into a project without fear.

Most things I can because the risk is low, but when it comes to opening up the possibility of screwing up a brand new car's paint, I tend to be a little more shy.

So yeah, thanks for the confidence inspiration.

And if all else fails, I will get a 21 year old girl to do the work while I sit back with a glass of scotch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    It's not that hard...

PLUS you have everyone on this forum to help you along the way...

I believe in becoming who I am (Translation: You learn everyday.)
    <-Bubba

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Actually you can get really good results working by hand it's just the time and labor issue.

That said, most detailers should be doing one-step procedures, that is after washing and removing any above surface bonded contaminants, most detailers should be using a one-step cleaner wax.

A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business
    Match your services to your customer
    Thanks, AS ALWAYS, for your rock solid advice Mike. Hand application is nice in a way, due to fact I have complete control over, which I have yet to fully develop with a DA/Rotary. When you say "one step" cleaner-wax, you're referring once again to hand application, correct? You are absolutely right if so, because most clients' vehicles are just in bad shape and need a little revitalization, much more than any carnauba could EVER accomplish.

*What are your thoughts on a one-step polish applied with my Flex 3401, and an example of a great specific product that can aptly tackle most any middle-of-the-road average client vehicle in good to fair shape just in need for a pick-me-up? I bought the 3-step Menzerna compound/polishes, and found them to be very, very mild. Sure, some of the problem could be user-error, but with pressure, a semi-aggressive foam pad, and slow passes... I still didn't notice much (or any) or a measurable or appreciable difference.
    "Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization

Mike Phillips

***Reminder***

Need to update my article list with this thread and about 50 more articles that have not been added to my list yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Mike, Hoping SEMA wasn't too taxing, and you're getting back to a little relaxation, and normality with your life.

I did start a thread maybe a week ago, titled something like "The human hand".

I thank you kindly for so many great tutorials, advice, tips, and all the reviews about the vast myriad of products, that IMO are just mind boggling.

I notice you will often demonstrate products on flat panels, due to simplicity, and perhaps as well as some basic principals, and techniques.

But as we all know, virtually no vehicle ever made, even the VW Thing is a simple matter of polishing-waxing this flat panel, then going onto the next flat panel.

There's nooks, there's crannies, there's dips, there's grooves, there's tight spots, there's mirrors, there's gas tank lids, there's sill steps, rocker panels, there's edges, door jambs, license plate pockets, the list goes on and on, and I know we all face these difficult areas on each and every vehicle.

I know from experience, we stay away from such areas with things like Rotary Polishers, and highly abrasive compounds, and Polishes.

But, the mastery, is to of course make these difficult areas that must evidently have to be done by hand, and the mastery is getting those areas to equally match other easy areas that can be quickly, and less effortlessly be done by machine.

So of course I can gather-understand the need of matching the identical products in use at the time, that if you're using let's for say Meggy's 205 at the time, you may wish to logically use the same 205 to reach these hard to get areas.

The point, and advice I am trying to get to Mike with this post, is what recommendations, and advice can you give to addressing these areas?

Is there any right method to such hand processes? Straight lines in some areas, small circular movements in others? Am I correct that the hand eye coordination is something that must be slowly dealt with, and executed like one playing a Guitar?

To slowly go, a little at first, then continue, to use the eye, to use small baby steps, do a little, stop, inspect, start again, check, etc etc?

Are there any vids that you have done to address, and showcase such manual techniques, and how one can get proper final results?

As I close, thank you Mike! Mark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast