autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Modified 10 @ 10 Technique for the Rotary Buffer

Modified 10 @ 10 Technique for the Rotary Buffer

At the last Detailing Boot Camp Class I had the opportunity to do a lot of work with Tyler who at age 15 is keenly interested in the craft of detailing cars and the art of polishing paint.

Seriously, this kid is after my job...

Modified 10 @ 10 Technique
    IF you look closely, instead of picking up his bead of product at the 10 O'clock mark on his buffing pad Tyler is going to reverse directions and thus pick his bead of product up at the 4 O'Clock position. For this version of the 10 @ 10 Technique you move the polisher left to right and this way you pull the product into the pad instead of splattering it all over the place.

After passing over the bead of product he then quickly lays the pad flat to the paint and starts removing his sanding marks.

Here's Tyler, learning to hold the pad flat while holding the head of the Flex PE14 Rotary Polisher

Freestyling....

And here's Tyler moving to the other side to continue removing sanding marks. He makes it look so easy and that's the sign of a future Pro!

Nice work Tyler...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Modified 10 @ 10 Technique for the Rotary Buffer

Ironically I was kinda thinkin' about Tyler...haven't seen any pictures of him of late. Happy to see he is 'still in it.'

Thank you for the 'update.'

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!! I was just teaching my helper the 10 @ 10 last night as he had his first rotary buffing session. I never thought about doing it at the 4 O'clock position, perhaps for left handed detailers. Nice to see someone so young getting into correcting auto paint. Nice work on the hood!!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Ironically I was kinda thinking' about Tyler...haven't seen any pictures of him of late. Happy to see he is 'still in it.'

Thank you for the 'update.'

Bill

While Paul and Tyler were here last Thursday, Paul, the owner of his own body shop, told me over the weekend Tyler and tackled an severely neglected car using a Milwaukee Rotary Buffer.

Now that takes some muscle...

The good news is Paul is getting new tools for the shop, I'm not sure which ones he's going with but that was one of the reasons they helped out with the Camaro last Thursday was to let Tyler try out all the different tools to help finalize their decisions.

And that's one of the cool things about coming to any detailing project here at Autogeek is you have the opportunity to use a variety of tools.

When I worked for Meguiar's and still at Meguiar's, you get to use the G110v2 or if you attend the Advanced Class then you get to use the G110v2 and the DeWALT Rotary Buffer. Those are two very good tools but I now that people are curious and like to try other tools they read about on the forums.

So I make sure to have them all out for people to test and play with...

Video and Pictures: 2012 Fiat 500 - Chemical Guys Show Car Makeover