autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Video: Lake Country Ultra Microfiber Pads & Gtechniq EXO

Video: Lake Country Ultra Microfiber Pads & Gtechniq EXO

Jeff's 2006 Mustang GT Convertible

In this short video I show the new Lake Country Ultra Microfiber Pads for Rotary Buffers and DA Polishers.

This is my friend Jeff's 2006 Mustang GT Convertible. He's going to drive it for a while check out the EXO results and if he likes it then I'll have him back to do the rest of the car.

Turn your volume up
    I'm standing about 15 feet away from my iPhone when I shot this video. I include lots of little tips and techniques plus show the new MicroTemp MT-Pro Non-Contact Digital Infrared Thermometer and the MicroTemp MT-100 Non-Contact Digital Infrared Thermometer to measure the surface temp before applying the GTechniq EXO.

Lake Country Ultra Microfiber Pads & Gtechniq EXO
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRAIiLyFBoM&hd=1]Lake Country Ultra Microfiber Pads & Gtechniq EXO - YouTube[/video]

On Autogeek.net

Lake Country Ultra-Fiber Microfiber Pads

GTechniq EXO Ultra Durable Hybrid Coating

Wurth Clean-Solve

MicroTemp MT-Pro Non-Contact Digital Infrared Thermometer

MicroTemp MT-100 Non-Contact Digital Infrared Thermometer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video: Lake Country Ultra Microfiber Pads & Gtechniq EXO

Hey Mike, is the color on that mustang Redfire Pearl Metallic?
    It looks very similar to a Ranger I did recently with EXO. Here's a video of how crazy hydrophobic this coating is:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av4qdzHthSI&feature=plcp]Gtechniq EXO hydrophobia - YouTube[/video]

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Great video Mike!

Just so you guys know the Ultra-Fiber Rotary Microfiber Pads are now available!

Lake Country Ultra-Fiber Rotary Microfiber Pads

Post Thanks / Like

Nice video Mike!!

I noticed that you mentioned that the DA microfiber pad was previously used and a little damp with product before using it in the video.

In your experience, how many times can you clean the MF pads on the fly, and re-apply product before product saturation in the pad's foam becomes an issue?

Switching the pad out for a dry one once this occurs, about how many MF pads do you think you would use to correct the paint on a car the size of the Mustang in your video if the paint condition was in let's say a moderately swirled/scratched condition?

I am doing some testing of some different MF pads including the new LC Ultrafiber and the Optimum MF pads. I pushed the LC pad "way past it's intended parameters" just to see how easily it would heat up and fail. I find that product saturation in the pad's foam is the culprit concerning pad failure with these types of pads, but too little product doesn't yield favorable results for me.

I'd like to know what your take is, on how often to switch to a new or a dry pad to keep these pads from getting too saturated with product during heavy correction. I'd think maybe a half a dozen pads per vehicle. What are you thoughts on this if you don't mind sharing them?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Nice video Mike!!

I noticed that you mentioned that the DA microfiber pad was previously used and a little damp with product before using it in the video.

In your experience, how many times can you clean the MF pads on the fly, and re-apply product before product saturation in the pad's foam becomes an issue?

I have not buffed out an entire car using the new Lake Country Ultra Microfiber pads so I can't comment. I have a Honda coming in next Thursday in which I'm going to do a complete buff out using both the rotary buffer pads and the DA pads, I'll have a valid opinion after this project.

On that note, anyone in the area that wants to test out the Lake Country Microfiber Pads you're welcome to join me next Thursday Night.

The Meguiar's Microfiber Pads don't really saturate easily because of their design. They don't like a lot of heat over extended use. For me 2 panels, maybe 3 panels tops with the Megs microfiber pads and then it's time to switch to a clean, dry pad. A person can keep buffing with the same pad but the pads not going to hold up due to increased heat plus wear-n-tear. Like foam pads, more pads are better.

Switching the pad out for a dry one once this occurs, about how many MF pads do you think you would use to correct the paint on a car the size of the Mustang in your video if the paint condition was in let's say a moderately swirled/scratched condition?

A minimum of 5-7 pads for the correction step alone if a person wants to work at maximum efficiency. More pads is always better and a person can use less but at some point constant heat and the violent oscillating action plus the introductions of liquids will have a negative effect. Less for the polishing step as the grunt of all the buffing work is always the first step.

I am doing some testing of some different MF pads including the new LC Ultra microfiber and the Optimum MF pads. I pushed the LC pad "way past it's intended parameters" just to see how easily it would heat up and fail. I find that product saturation in the pad's foam is the culprit concerning pad failure with these types of pads, but too little product doesn't yield favorable results for me.
    Sounds about right. The negative influences are,

• Heat
    • Time
    • Pressure
    • Violent oscillating action
    • Liquids - This can be any carrying agents for the primary abrading ingredients be they water, oil or some form of solvent.

It's not a single listed item above its the combination of all of them that destroy any type of pad.

I'd like to know what your take is, on how often to switch to a new or a dry pad to keep these pads from getting too saturated with product during heavy correction. I'd think maybe a half a dozen pads per vehicle. What are you thoughts on this if you don't mind sharing them?
    See my reply above to this question...

And look for my write-up, pictures and videos for the Extreme Honda Makeover next Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your valuable insight and helping me to go about my testing in a reasonable fashion.

I've been working with the Meguiars MF cutting discs for some time now and while I've been reluctant to place a bulk order of MF pads to increase my work per dollar ratio, I've come to the conclusion that I must do exactly that. My current testing is to decide who's MF pads I want to make the bulk order with.

After a somewhat lengthy discussion with David Ghodoussi about this testing, he has recommended and shipped a few pads to use in conjunction with his Hyper Compound Spray in order to maximize the ability and life of these MF pads. I hope to have some useful information to share into the future.

I'll keep an eye out for your extreme Honda makeover project info. I look forward to it.

Thanks again, TD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike- I want to order some of these to try but I was wondering how the DA version will work on a forced rotation polisher? I think the Meguiars version works better on a DA than a forced rotation but that's my opinion.

Mike Phillips

I'll keep an eye out for your extreme Honda makeover project info. I look forward to it.

Thanks again, TD

Coming up this Thursday... that is as long as nothing interferes with the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    Mike- I want to order some of these to try but I was wondering how the DA version will work on a forced rotation polisher?

I think the Meguiars version works better on a DA than a forced rotation but that's my opinion.
    You think, I think and everyone thinks the same, and that is the solid backed, thin microfiber pads on the market don't work well on the Flex 3401 for compounding as the feel is grabby and the polisher is hard to control.

Coming up this Thursday I'll have my fiancé's daughter's Honda here for and extreme makeover and anyone that lives local is welcome to stop by and test out the new microfiber pads as I buff this car out.

Here it is in all it's current glory...

The story I've heard is that this car was wrecked and then repainted at a local body shop. I think it's been about 2 years since the paint job.

Since then NOTHING has been done to the paint that I know of and it certainly looks like nothing has been done to it.

The paint is completely flat and dull. Since a polished surface will hold up and last longer in the elements than a textured surface I'm going to machine polish this paint to restore a clear, glossy smooth surface and then coat it with something.

For this project I'll be using the new Ultra Microfiber pads by Lake Country. I haven't decided upon the chemicals yet but I'm leaning towards GPS by Optimum or one of the other Optimum Polishes.

We'll also test the rotary buffer version of this pad on the Flex 3401 and the Makita BO6040