autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

3™ Trizact™ Foam Discs 5000 FAQs

3™ Trizact™ Foam Discs 5000 FAQs

#5000 Grit Trizact Foam Finishing Discs

Will Trizact 5000 allow me to skip compounding?

Skipping compound will depend on several factors. These factors include the brand of clear, cure time, temperature, age of clear coat, and the vehicle color. Before skipping compound and sending the job out to a customer it is highly recommended to go through the process, clean the surface with a degreaser and inspect. Below are a
    few tips to help the opportunity to eliminate compounding:

1. Fresh clear (less than 12-18 hours)
    2. Small area sanding
    3. 5-6 passes over all areas with both Trizact steps
    4. Run polisher at 1400-1800 rpm
    5. New foam polishing pad

How long will the Trizact 5000 disc last?

4-5 panels (feedback from field test)

Is this just another step in the process in addition to the current process?

No, chances are good that you will be able to eliminate, if not reduce your
    compounding by 50%. This will help keep the shop clean, reduce clean up time in the
    detail bay, and increase the overall quality of the job.

What throw/orbit should be used when sanding with Trizact 5000?

For best results use a 3/16” orbit or higher with all Trizact products. 3/32” orbit tools do not allow the Trizact abrasive to cut. Larger orbit tools will help finish the job quicker and allow the abrasive to completely refine the previous scratches.

Can Trizact 5000 be used dry?

No, Trizact foam discs are meant to be used “damp” to avoid instant loading

How much water should I use?

Generally you will need less water for the Trizact 5000 when compared to the Trizact P3000. For every 2 sq ft area, about 5 sprays from a spray bottle will be adequate. If the disc dries up, apply water as needed.

Is it acceptable to use soap in my water source for the discs?

Yes, a mild soap can be used in the water with the Trizact discs. If the soap is not mild, it may start to dissolve the foam backing over the life of the disc. Most car wash soaps are acceptable.

Is a soft interface pad required for Trizact 5000?

No, a soft interface pad in not required, but it is recommended. The user will get a finer finish with the Trizact 5000 when using a soft interface pad. Using an interface pad will assure there are no course scratches left behind on body lines and curved surfaces.

What sort of sanding pattern works best?

Sanding in a north-south and east-west pattern with 50% overlap for 5-6 passes will help assure every spot has been refined by the Trizact 5000.

Is it required to use Trizact P3000 before using Trizact 5000?

Yes, the Trizact 5000 was designed to remove Trizact P3000 scratches. If you want to increase your chances of eliminating compound, it is required to use Trizact P3000 to refine your previous scratches prior to using the Trizact 5000. If you are just using the 5000 alone to remove oxidation or light scratches, Trizact P3000 is not required.

Can Trizact 5000 be used by hand?

Yes, Trizact 5000 can be used by hand or on an orbital sander. If there is not air supplied in your work station, all Trizact products can be used by hand. We also offer hand pad accessories to help hold the discs. Be sure to spend an adequate amount of time sanding to remove previous scratches. Sanding by hand will be slower than sanding with a tool.

Can Trizact 5000 be used to remove oxidation and light scratches on aged paint?

Yes, Trizact 5000 is a great disc to use for removing oxidation and light scratches. In most cases you will need to use compound after 5000 due to the paint being well cured and tough to remove.

How well does the Trizact 5000 work on Ceramic Clear Coats?

Working with ceramic clear coat tends to be very difficult. In this case, you will not be able to skip compounding, but the 5000 can help reduce compounding time on those hard coatings.

What speed should I run the polisher at over the Trizact 5000 scratches?
    Recommended speed for the polisher is 1400-1800 rpm

If I still have to compound after using Trizact 5000, will I have to use a wool pad?

No, a wool pad will not be needed to remove the fine scratches left over from the 5000. One quick application of compound with a foam pad will remove all the remaining scratches. Using foam will also significantly reduce swirl marks in the surface.

Can Trizact 5000 be used on Chrome? Aluminum?
    Yes, Trizact 5000 can be used to remove light scratches from chrome and aluminum. Be cautious on chrome as most plating is very thin. Follow up with a chrome/aluminum polish.

Front

Back

Close-up

See examples of the sheen left by this #5000 Foam Backed Sanding Disc and a video in this thread...

Video: Wow! 3M #5000 Grit Polishing I mean Sanding Discs!

From left to right...

#1500 Grit Sanding Disc, #1500 Foam Backed Finishing Disc, #3000 Foam Backed Finishing Disc and #5000 Foam Backed Finishing Disc

Super Member Joe@Superior Shine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3™ Trizact™ Foam Discs 5000 FAQs

With all the new technology out now paint perfecting has never been as cool or fun as it is now!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome.

I will venture out and say that a properly sanded panel with 3K and 5K will be able to be buffed out with nothing more aggressive than M205 on a 8207 polishing pad and 1600rpm.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@Superior Shine View Post
    With all the new technology out now paint perfecting has never been as cool or fun as it is now!!!

Sometimes I quote you Joe from something you said somewhere or posted somewhere, goes something like this,

"It used to be you actually needed a little skill, talent and experience to create a show car shine. With the introduction of all the new pads, products and tools just about anyone can get show car results their very first time"

Or something like that but I agree. There was a time when you actually had to have some skill and experience to get good results and not make any mistakes. Talent never hurt either...

Ah... the good old days...

:d

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Awesome.

I will venture out and say that a properly sanded panel with 3K and 5K will be able to be buffed out with nothing more aggressive than M205 on a 8207 polishing pad and 1600rpm.

Less work than that, you can use a DA Polisher...

#3000 & #5000 Grit Wetsanding Marks Removed
    with a DA Polisher

Mike Phillips

Or...

Makita BO6040 Removing Sanding Marks

For this test I'm going to use 3 Pro Grade Body Shop products that will tackle just about any product that ever drives into your shop or garage with just about any pad and tool combination known to man.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of pad color and compound choice would work best if somebody was using say a flex 3401 VRG to buff out a few larger panels that were sanded with 3000 and then followed up by these 5000 grit discs?

Thanks
    Kody

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at products to remove scratches from windshields and came across THIS webpage that is selling these Trizact discs for glass correction. I'm curious if anyone has considered or attempted this.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JayG30 View Post
    I was looking at products to remove scratches from windshields and came across THIS webpage that is selling these Trizact discs for glass correction. I'm curious if anyone has considered or attempted this.

That's interesting.

No time to look into it but I will.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Kody View Post
    What kind of pad color and compound choice would work best if somebody was using say a flex 3401 VRG to buff out a few larger panels that were sanded with 3000 and then followed up by these 5000 grit discs?

Thanks
    Kody

IF you finish out with 3M 5000 you should be able to remove the sanding marks using a number of options including using a foam cutting pad with either a compound or a polish or a foam pad and a medium cut polish.

You could also use a Purple Foamed Wool Pad or the new Blue Hybrid foamed wool pad.

If it were me, I would do some testing to see what was removing the sanding marks 100% the most effectively.

Paints are different in their hardness and softness and as I wrote in my how to book the only way to find out how hard or soft a paint is would be to go out into the garage and do some testing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast