autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3™ Trizact™ Foam Discs 5000 FAQs

Hump,

What speed you use GG for 3M 3000/5000?
    Btw. that GTO was in my youth dreams and still is - great job there also....

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

From my 35+ years at 3M I offer this; 1. Use only a 3 inch random orbital sander 2. Use a soft interface pad obviously 3 inches. 3. Purchase a 10,000 rpm sander with 3/16" orbit. 4. Spray the disc and on surface with a combination of water and just a drop of pink hand soap in the spray mister. Start the sander only when on the surface. Stop the sander when on the surface. Wipe with microfiber towel. You know all about the direction and motion of the sander, I hope. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dandy98 View Post
    From my 35+ years at 3M I offer this; 1. Use only a 3 inch random orbital sander 2. Use a soft interface pad obviously 3 inches. 3. Purchase a 10,000 rpm sander with 3/16" orbit. 4. Spray the disc and on surface with a combination of water and just a drop of pink hand soap in the spray mister. Start the sander only when on the surface. Stop the sander when on the surface. Wipe with microfiber towel. You know all about the direction and motion of the sander, I hope. Good luck
    I also like the TRIZACT bands used with the EXPANDER wheel when used for polishing stainless steel.Cars from the 50`s have lots of stainless trim!
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dandy98 View Post
    Thank you for your recommendation but as a "semi pro" detailer I have to deal with tools I already have.
    Do not take me wrong - I had lot of tools but for the moment I can not invest in sander esoecially not in air sander so I have to maximaze available tools so any advice using these discs with Megs MT310 or Rupes LHR15 Mark II are welcomed.
    Regarding 3" vs 6" pads - I will use 3" for spot repairing but need 6" for full panels.

Thx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ARTB155 View Post
    Hump,

What speed you use GG for 3M 3000/5000?
    Btw. that GTO was in my youth dreams and still is - great job there also....

Regards
    If I recall correctly, It was maybe 3-4 on the speed.

HUMP
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by HUMP DIESEL View Post

If I recall correctly, It was maybe 3-4 on the speed.

HUMP

That sounds about right. The Griot's Garage 6" DA Orbital Polisher or GG as people type to shorten the name has a ton more power than the Porter Cable 7424XP orbital polisher.

With the Porter Cable you'll be on the 5-6 speed setting to maintain pad rotation.

With the Griot's Garage 6" DA Orbital Polisher you'll be on the 2, 3 and maybe 4 speed setting and from memory I'd say closer to the 2-3 speed setting.

You want and need to mark your backing plate to make it easy for your eyes to see and monitor pad rotation.

You want the pad rotating and oscillating, NOT just oscillating or vibrating against the paint. AT the same time you don't want to be grinding the paint off so you don't want MAX RPM.

Machine sanding is a skill, a craft and even a art form.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ARTB155 View Post

Mike

Recommended speed is 1400-1800 but what about when using with DA Machines - Megs MT310 for example which lowest speed is 3000.

Thx

Just to clarify for myself and everyone reading, when you typed

1400-1800

Are you describing the common speed recommendation for buffing with a rotary buffer?

The speed settings on the dial of the Meguiar's MT300 are rated in OPM or Oscillations Per Minute. That's a completely different thing than RPM which stands for Revolutions Per Minute.

Please don't try to machine sand with a rotary buffer as it's not longer called sanding it's called grinding and very soon you'll be repainting.

Mike Phillips

For everyone reading this into the future,

If you do any amount of wet sanding then you need a Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher and 3" sanding discs and a 3" interface pad.

The most handy tool for sanding,

1. Thin panels without the risk of sanding on edges or raised body lines
    2. Intricate areas
    3. Edging
    4. Working around components

Griot's 3" Mini Polisher works great as a 3" Dampsander

Dampsanding with 3" Griot's Garage Mini Polisher

Check out the students in a class here at Autogeek back in 2011 as they machine sand this 1971 GTO

Just a reminder, here's what the paint looked like when this 1971 GTO arrived... it has extreme orange peel...

Wetsanding Class at Autogeek - 1971 GTO - The Black Orange

Mike Phillips

Took a little searching but here's the after pictures from the 1971 GTO Wet Sanding Class

1971 GTO - Wetsand, Cut and Buff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Just to clarify for myself and everyone reading, when you typed

1400-1800

Are you describing the common speed recommendation for buffing with a rotary buffer?

The speed settings on the dial of the Meguiar's MT300 are rated in OPM or Oscillations Per Minute. That's a completely different thing than RPM which stands for Revolutions Per Minute.

Please don't try to machine sand with a rotary buffer as it's not longer called sanding it's called grinding and very soon you'll be repainting.

Mike, sorry my mistake while reading your 1st post, was little bit tired and not concentrated.

So, you wrote about 1400-1800 speed of polushing after Trizcat 5000 step is finished, not about speed 1400-1800 while using Trizcat 5000.

All clear now and if I understand well DA speed for wetsanding should be minimum one under which constant pad rotation is.

Thx

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast