autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wow! 3M #5000 Grit Polishing I mean Sanding Discs!

I would like to see what Ultimate Polish on a Meg's black pad could do with the 5000...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    I would like to see what Ultimate Polish on a Meg's black pad could do with the 5000...

I don't think that would be aggressive enough, I could try it but I was thinking more along the lines of M205 and at a minimum a polishing pad.

Going out to the studio right now to do some testing... hang tight for some pictures...

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what would be easier/quicker if you are wetsanding a car/panel. Stopping the wetsanding at 3000 and buffing it out with wool/foam and compound/polish, or doing an extra step of wetsanding with 5000 and being able to use a medium (maybe even finishing) polish and foam pad to buff it out?

If you stop at 3000 you will have to compound and then polish, but if you use 5000 grit you could most likely get away with only needing one step and having an LSP ready surface...hmm....

I almost think I would rather an extra step of wetsanding over compounding...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post

I almost think I would rather an extra step of wetsanding over compounding...

My preference and opinion is to always spend my time upfront sanding and less time on the back end compounding.

Plus, sanding is cool while traditional wool pad/rotary buffer compounding generates heat and heat is never actually good for the paint.

Setting up right now...

Also have M101 and FG 500 to play with...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    My preference and opinion is to always spend my time upfront sanding and less time on the back end compounding.

Plus, sanding is cool while traditional wool pad/rotary buffer compounding generates heat and heat is never actually good for the paint.

Setting up right now...

Also have M101 and FG 500 to play with...

Good to know Mike! I wasn't a huge fan of M101 (sure it worked, but at what cost) FG500 on the other hand is one of my favorite products! Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Post Thanks / Like

For grins, how about some M67 One-Step compound?
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to see the least aggressive aproach to taking care of the 5000. M205 on a megs yellow would be great to see.

Mike Phillips

Okay, I'm a huge fan of the philosophy,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

I also like to push the envelope just to see... what can be done...

Mike aka smack in the detailing forum world suggested using Meguiar's Ultimate Polish with a Meguiar's black 7" Softbuff Foam Finishing pad and I thought,

"Whoa... that's way to gentle"

But... what the heck.

I taped-off a section of the panel that I finished out with a Unigrit foam backed #3000 Unigrit Finishing Disc and the section next to it where I finished out with a 3M #5000 Grit Finishing Disc and then buffed using the Ultimate Polish and the Black Finishing pad on a G110V2 on the 6.0 Speed Setting for 10 Section Passes.

Then I chemically stripped and inspected and estimate about 80% defect removal.

Next I used the Yellow 7" Softbuff Foam Polishing pad with the Ultimate Compound and re-buffed the same section for around 8 section passes and then chemically stripped and inspected the results.

100% defect removal. There was some noticeable micro-marring under the light from a Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light so I re-polished again using the same Black 7" Softbuff Foam Finishing Pad with the Ultimate Polish and then chemically stripped again.

Note: It should be stressed that I'm very familiar with the paint on this panel and I would categorize it at the soft range of paint, definitely not the hard range like a factory finish on a new car.

The only defects I could see were some light marring from wiping the paint using IPA which is not the best "lubricant" for wiping paint but does do a pretty good job of chemically stripping polishing oils.

(I talk about marring and IPA in my article, Hologram Free with a Rotary Buffer )

Below is a quick video I took where I explain the process I used and show the results. In the video I state something I post once in a while to the people that want to use tools besides a rotary buffer to remove sanding marks that goes something like this,

Sanding down an entire car and then removing 100% of your sanding marks already takes a long time using a rotary buffer, wool pad and aggressive compound, why would I want to use an approach that would be slower and less effective?

That's just me and I'm very comfortable using a rotary buffer. I know others are looking for a way to remove both sanding marks and other below surface defects using popular DA Polishers.

Can it be done? You bet. I'll let you decide the best approach for you and your project. This experiment was to,

• Check out the new #5000 Finishing Discs from 3M
    • See how the sanded paint looks as compared to other levels of sanding discs
    • See what it would take to remove the sanding marks

I accomplished these three goals. I like the 3M #5000 Finishing Discs but at the time of this post we don't stock them at Autogeek. If and when we do I would use them for my last machine sanding step just to make removing the sanding marks,

• Faster
    • Easier
    • Cooler to the paint

Here's the video...

#3000 & #5000 Grit Wetsanding Marks Removed
    with a DA Polisher

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Very cool!

I'm hoping they'll also be available in 3" discs.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast