autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

How to clean and protect convertible canvas and cloth tops

How to clean and protect convertible canvas and cloth tops

At our January 28th Detailing Boot Camp Class we went over cleaning and protecting a Vinyl Convertible Top on a 1967 Pontiac Gran Prix

For this class we're using RaggTopp products to clean and protect a Canvas Top. The day before I washed the top carefully because it was dusty and had bug poo spots on it. To do this I used the RaggTopp Natural Horse Hair Convertible Top Brush and the RaggTopp Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner.

The horse hair brush has soft bristle so it wont' make your canvas top fuzzy looking by fraying the fibers. The RaggTopp Fabric Cleaner is safe so you're not using to harsh or strong a cleaner.

After washing I blotted dry using Guzzler Waffle Weave drying towels. This was all done on Friday and then the top was allowed to FULLY DRY overnight and out in FULL SUN on Saturday until we pulled it into the garage for the protection step.

NOTE: Before you can apply the first application of a fabric protectant or any second or third applications of protectant, the top must be bone-dry in order for maximum bonding of the protection ingredients.

In the case of RaggTopp Fabric Protectant, this product uses Ciba Tinuvin UV Blockers, the most costly UV Blockers available for this application.

RaggTopp fabric cleaner and protectant are also endorsed and recommended by the Haartz Corporation as well as Rode & Schwalenber Gmbh. (Germany). Rode & Schwalenber have been manufacturing convertible top materials for 105 years and The Haartz Corporation manufactures the majority of convertible tops for auto manufactures world wide. Pretty good credentials.

In this shot I'm explaining how I cleaned the canvas top the day before and why not to use brushes with stiff, coarse bristles.

Using the aerosol RaggTopp Protectant is basically like using a can of spray paint

Hold the can about 12" away and use overlapping motions as you spray the protectant. Be sure to thoroughly spray any seams or stitching.

Here's Iain spraying on the RaggTopp Fabric Protectant...

Use an overlapping, sweeping motion...

In this shot, as I spray the leading edge I can't help but get a little overspray onto the glass but it's not a problem as the overspray will wipe off easily and if you get any on paint it's completely safe and won't cause any harm.

Here's Tony wiping overspray off the windshield using a clean, microfiber towel...

Products

RaggTopp Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner

RaggTopp Fabric Protectant

RaggTopp Natural Horse Hair Convertible Top Brush

The Guzzler Triple Kit

You can also see Autogeek's how-to segment on Two Guys Garage...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3ikT9InF9U]How To Clean And Protect A Canvas Cloth Convertible Top - YouTube[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to clean and protect convertible canvas and cloth tops

Thanks Mike for the thread. I have used this before and the clean the top a day before is a really good tip. But what is regular maintenance for a rag top? Once a year, twice.
    Damn all incontinent birds!!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I have found that these products are so light when they are sprays that some tiny particles can float off onto other parts of the vehicle if it isn't covered. They are so small they wont be seen until dried and then they don't wipe off.

When I say I have found I should mention it was a one time occurrence as I have covered the rest of the cars with plastic since then or else used a carton with the top and bottom cut out to not allow any particles to escape the intended area.

Not a big deal or noticeable to most people but thought I would mention for those that are as crazy as myself.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this.
    I have same brush, when i used it top had a lot of loose hairs from the brush.
    Had to use a lint roller to get all off.
    Is there a tip to prevent this from happening again.

Thanks

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Slicer View Post
    Thanks Mike for the thread. I have used this before and the clean the top a day before is a really good tip. But what is regular maintenance for a rag top? Once a year, twice.
    When you no longer see water beading really well it's time to redo...

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Mike, I have found that these products are so light when they are sprays that some tiny particles can float off onto other parts of the vehicle if it isn't covered. They are so small they wont be seen until dried and then they don't wipe off.

When I say I have found I should mention it was a one time occurrence as I have covered the rest of the cars with plastic since then or else used a carton with the top and bottom cut out to not allow any particles to escape the intended area.
    Great tip Corey...

Everyone reading this, as an option, before spraying the protectant, consider covering the rest of the car with a clean painter's plastic drop cloth or better yet, use a couple of soft flannel sheets and then simply wash the flannel sheets and store in a clean place for future use.

I've used soft flannel sheets all my detailing life for various reason, they can be very hand...

The Soft Flannel Bed Sheet Tip

Knock out painted roofs first, then tackle the rest of the car...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by goose28 View Post
    Thanks for this.
    I have same brush, when i used it top had a lot of loose hairs from the brush.
    Had to use a lint roller to get all off.
    Is there a tip to prevent this from happening again.

Thanks
    After the brush breaks-in it shouldn't be as much of a problem. I used a brand new brush and also had some stray hairs come off, I used strip of painter's tape to remove them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike.