autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Factors that can cause a pad to stop rotating on a DA Polisher

Factors that can cause a pad to stop rotating on a DA Polisher

Below are a list of factors that can stop pad rotation tools like the Porter Cable, Meguiar's, Griot's and Shurhold DA Polishers. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just a characteristic that also represents how and why these tools are so safe to use especially for people new to machine polishing.

The factors listed below can stop pad rotation and instead what you'll experience and see is a pad that more or less only vibrates or jiggles against the paint instead of rotates.

Pad rotation isn't important if you're applying a finishing wax or paint sealant to a finish in excellent condition but if you're trying to remove any type of below surface defect like,

• Swirls
    • Scratches
    • Water Spots
    • Oxidation
    • Etchings or stains
    • Sanding marks

Then to be most effective you need the pad on these types of tool to be rotating under firm pressure.

• Too little pressure - There's a quirky thing about these tools that if you hold the pad just right against the paint as though barely touching it the pad won't rotate like it does under pressure but more or less just flutter and even rotate backwards or counter-clockwise.

• Too much pressure - If you apply too much pressure you can stop the pad from spinning, this is the safety characteristic that Newbies love and experience people forget about after they master the tool and then complain because the pad stops spinning.

• Uneven pressure against pad - If you don't hold the pad flat to the surface, that is you hold the body of the tool in a way that pressure is greater to just an edge or side of the face of the pad you can easily stop the pad from spinning. This is more noticeable with larger pads like 6.5" and 7" pads as the larger the diameter the pad the more leverage the pad has over the spindler/drive mechanism.

• Raised body line - If you're buffing on a raised body line there will be more pressure to smaller area of the face of the pad and this can be enough to stop or slow down the rotation of the pad.

• Convex or Concave shaped body panel - Like a raised body line, if you're working on a convex or concave shaped body panel you can have more pressure to the outer edges of the pad or the inner portion of the pad and this can stop the pad from rotating or slow pad rotation down.

• Too large a pad - When buffing with larger pads the larger diameter of the pad give the pad leverage over the spindle and this can stop pad rotating or slow pad rotation down.

• Wet or saturated pad - When a pad becomes wet or saturated with product the combination of foam and liquid act to absorb and dissipate the energy coming out of the tool and this can stop or slow down the rotation of a pad.

See this article for more information on how the drive mechanism for these tools works....

The Free Floating Spindle Bearing Assembly - The Story Behind The Story...

The Spindle

Watch the below TV show starting at the 10:30 mark and I will show you not only why the PC style tools are so safe but how too much pressure will stop the pad from rotating. (against my hand )

What's in Autogeek's Garage - Episode 3 - Season 2

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Tj6rV8RIc&t=10m30s]What's in Autogeek's Garage - Episode 3 - Season 2 - YouTube[/video]

2. Likes autosensecarcare liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Factors that can cause a pad to stop rotating on a DA Polisher

When you're out in your garage buffing on a car and you don't see good pad rotation under pressure, click the link below and read through my trouble shooting guide and make sure you're doing everything right and not making any of the common mistakes.

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide

Also, to help you're eyes easily see whether or not the pad is rotating, mark your backing plate like I show in this article,

Mark Your Backing Plate - Makes it easy to see Pad Rotation

If you feel you have mastered DA Polishers and are now pushing them past the limit as to what they can do, then perhaps consider adding one of the below direct drive tools to your tool arsenal.

Flex 3401

Rotary Buffers

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. I run into the "too little pressure" problem all the time when applying waxes and sealants. I give it a little more pressure and TAA-DAA it starts spinning again haha
    Waxin' Willys Detailing
    Like us on Facebook!

Post Thanks / Like

This should be in the "DA holly bible" of every detailer using a DA polisher!

Thank you Mike

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by insigner View Post
    This should be in the "DA holly bible" of every detailer using a DA polisher!

Thank you Mike
    Thanks...

Lately I've been looking at any detailing related task I do and wondering if while I take it for granted someone else might find interesting or helpful and then sharing it.

I was always surprised how popular this article was...

How to correctly fold and use a Microfiber Towel

Plus of course it had a really cool 1959 Cadillac Coupe Deville Robert DiTerlizzi and I buffed out one night here at Autogeek...

I should create a thread with all the cars I've worked on here at Autogeek since coming here from Meguar's... there's been a few...

7. Likes autosensecarcare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Lately I've been looking at any detailing related task I do and wondering if while I take it for granted someone else might find interesting or helpful and then sharing it.
    It always surprises me too when I find out that things that I take for granted (as for example drying or washing a car under direct sunlight is a no go) is normal for other people

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Plus of course it had a really cool 1959 Cadillac Coupe Deville Robert DiTerlizzi and I buffed out one night here at Autogeek...
    You should be aware of how everyone overseas hates you for having the chance to buff such curves

Post Thanks / Like

It always surprises me too when I find out that things that I take for granted (as for example drying or washing a car under direct sunlight is a no go) is normal for other people
    Some of us do not have a choice. There is no nearby tree or anything like that for me to park under. So I have to wash in the sun. Its not a big deal though. Because I have learned to wash a panel at a time. So I have no issues with water spotting at all.
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

I know but this is a whole different story. You know why doing it under sunlight is bad and you know how to avoid the bad consequences

Mike Phillips

You should be aware of how everyone overseas hates you for having the chance to buff such curves
    What can I say.... someone's has to do it...

Quote Originally Posted by timaishu View Post
    Some of us do not have a choice. There is no nearby tree or anything like that for me to park under. So I have to wash in the sun. Its not a big deal though. Because I have learned to wash a panel at a time. So I have no issues with water spotting at all.
    In some situation you just have do the best you can do with what you have to work with. That's where knowledge is power and technique is your friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike I reposted your guide in our Greek detailing forum in Greek language off course. I hope that is ok with you

Cardetailing.gr Link

You have everyone's gratitude

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast