autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Don't use your polisher without it!

plus, it is next to impossible to remove the backing plate without the wash there.

i was using my PC a few weeks ago and was switching from 5" backing to the 3.5" backing plate, and the washer must have slipped off the 3.5" in the rush of changing them out. i tightened it up and realized something was wrong with the spinning(or lack of spinning) of the pad(before i turned the machine on thank goodness).

I looked and there was the washer sitting on the utility cart! I thought "OH CRAP!!!" i struggled and struggle taking the backing plate off, but finally was able to without damaging the machine. once i got my blood pressure back to normal and reinstalled the backing plate with the washer, i went back to work! =)

like Mike said, treat that little washer like gold!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by A.P.A.D. View Post

like Mike said, treat that little washer like gold!

You have to make the word gold bold and gold to emphasis how important it is, like this,

GOLD

Well kind of gold, more orange but you get the idea...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to go find a rubber gold colored washer!!!! lol

Post Thanks / Like

This is probably the reason the BP that came with MF kit made weird noise when it was spinning. The rivets was hitting the counterweight, so I switched back to my old backing plate. I think I threw out the washer, because I had never had to use one before. Thanks Mike for the tip, going have to check out HD to see if I can get another one.
    Gary

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by slickooz View Post
    This is probably the reason the BP that came with MF kit made weird noise when it was spinning. The rivets was hitting the counterweight, so I switched back to my old backing plate. I think I threw out the washer, because I had never had to use one before.
    My ears pick up on any abnormal sound coming out of DA Polishers when we have classes or project cars.

Often times someone new to machine polishing will change out a backing plate and be unaware of the compression washer and then when they turn the polisher on they'll tend to start buffing because they're not aware of the new, extra noise but my ears pick right up on it.

Kind of like when I use to go to the lake with my drag boat, anytime another drag boat would fire up I would pick right up on it and start scouting the lake for my next race.

Quote Originally Posted by slicks View Post
    Thanks Mike for the tip, going have to check out HD to see if I can get another one.
    No problemo... lately I've been making sure that the things I know and take for granted might be of help to others so when topics discovered I try to share on the forum.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to kick up the dust on an older thread -- I found that my PC came with a washer, as well as my 5.5 inch backing plate. I figure that I shouldn't install both of them so was curious which one is recommended?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by eatnosenuggets View Post
    Sorry to kick up the dust on an older thread -- I found that my PC came with a washer, as well as my 5.5 inch backing plate. I figure that I shouldn't install both of them so was curious which one is recommended?
    I don't think you'll find any scientific comparison tests performed to prove one is better than the other, the important thing is to have one in place when using the tool.

Use the one that looks less crushed and save the other in case you wear out the other one or lose it.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by eatnosenuggets View Post

Just to note, if you look at these pictues you can see both types do crush, or compress...

Nylon Compression Washer
    Here you can see where after tightening the compression washer has an imprint from where it was crushed during tightening.

Fiber Compression Washer
    Here you can see where after tightening the compression washer has an imprint from where it was crushed during tightening.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips, Mike

Mike Phillips

Re: The Compression Washer - Don't use your polisher without it!

Jesi Bezruk from Argentina asking about a

Clack Clack Noise

With his Porter Cable here in the comments section here,

How to save time when you polish your cars paint. - YouTube

From experience, it sounds like the Porter Cable is missing the Compression Washer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast