autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Video: How to remove shallow RIDS and how to machine apply both a paint sealant and a finishing wax

Quote Originally Posted by davidg View Post
    Glad you made an in depth video for machine application of sealant and wax. Been wanting to make sure I was doing it correctly.

I was curious about your approach to priming the pad. Would you discourage applying 4 or 5 pea sized drops of product and spritzing the pad with detail spray for the first section pass? This would be less product, but would keep a dry foam pad from touching the paint.

Normally you don't mix water with waxes and sealants, this adulterates the formula. If the chemist wants some water in his wax or sealant formula that's taken into consideration when creating the formula, not after the fact.

Wetting agents like pad conditioners have a high content of water plus whatever else is inside of them. Most Pro-grade compounds and polishes are okay having some pad conditioner sprayed onto the pad first but not things that don't like water.

Waxes and Sealants = non-water soluble.

Make sense?

Instead, waxes and paint sealants are already VERY slippery, so use them as your lube...

Good question that comes up from time to time...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video: How to remove shallow RIDS and how to machine apply both a paint sealant and a finishing wax

Mike - this is now one of my favorite videos posted here. I really enjoyed it because you brought in a "real guy". It's neat to see the professional shows, but even better to see one of us, a forum member, learning and doing right alongside with you.

You covered so much material in the video as well, it's a great learning tool.

Thanks!
    Our Lady Of Blessed Acceleration - Don't Fail Me Now.

Alex, from Northern Virginia.

Post Thanks / Like

Great video Mike!!! I like how in depth your tutorial is and this should help out a lot of guys starting out. It gives the viewer a chance to see how to prime the pad, apply polish and how to properly use the buffer (pressure and section passes). I think these longer videos you've been posting lately are a lot better than those short ones seen on TV. It helps me to learn a lot faster when I visually see my teacher how it's properly done.

Quote Originally Posted by Schiffdog View Post
    Mike what was the very first pad that you used? Sorry for all the questions.
    The very first pad Mike used is a Lake Country Hydrotech tangerine pad as seen here: Single 4 x 1.25 Hydro-Tech Tangerine Ultra Polishing Foam Pad
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Great video Mike!!! I like how in depth your tutorial is and this should help out a lot of guys starting out. It gives the viewer a chance to see how to prime the pad, apply polish and how to properly use the buffer (pressure and section passes). I think these longer videos you've been posting lately are a lot better than those short ones seen on TV. It helps me to learn a lot faster when I visually see my teacher how it's properly done.

The very first pad Mike used is a Lake Country Hydrotech tangerine pad as seen here: Single 4 x 1.25 Hydro-Tech Tangerine Ultra Polishing Foam Pad
    Thanks marc!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schiffdog View Post
    Thanks marc!
    If you're planning to get those pads, you need the 3.5" Lake Country backing plate as Mike has shown in the video. 3.5" Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate- porter cable 7424XP hook and loop backing plate 3.5 inch.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    If you're planning to get those pads, you need the 3.5" Lake Country backing plate as Mike has shown in the video. 3.5" Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate- porter cable 7424XP hook and loop backing plate 3.5 inch.
    Will do man thanks again.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep up the in depth videos. They really help us new guys out with proper technique. I really like how you applied the wax to the pads, I've never seen that mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice video and nice cars, I actually watched the whole thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree the lnoger videos are great!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice video, very informative! Thanks for sharing Mike!
    Can i ask you how many MF towel and bonnets did you use to fully remove any residues of sealant and wax? Could some quick detail help with stubborn residue?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast