autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Griot's 3" Mini Polisher works great as a 3" Dampsander

Griot's 3" Mini Polisher works great as a 3" Dampsander

Most people don't need to wetsand and probably shouldn't wetsand but if you're ever working on a project that requires sanding then do yourself a favor and get yourself a Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher and then get the Meguiar's 3" Unigrit Finishing Discs and the 3" Interface Pad and you're going to love what this little tool can do.

Here's a few pictures from our recent Wetsanding Project where we machine dampsanded my friend Jay's 1989 K5 Blazer which you're going to see on the 2nd Season of our TV show, What's in the Garage".

Because the 3" sanding and finishing discs have such a small footprint the are EASY to control so you can sand close to edges or tape lines with accuracy.

If you're NEW to any type of sanding, the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher used as 3" Dampsander is a great way to learn and increase your confidence in the art of machine sanding.

End results...

On Autogeek.net

Meguiars Unigrit 3 Inch Finishing Discs

I can't recommend enough getting the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher

Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher

Note: Make sure you get a couple of 3" Interface Pads you want this for contours and curved panels.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's 3" Mini Polisher works great as a 3" Dampsander

Wow! Looks great, thanks for sharing
    Waxin' Willys Detailing
    Like us on Facebook!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good! What speed do you recommend when dampsanding with the Griot's 3"?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Obviously Mike is more experienced than me, but, I have been using 4, 5 or 6 depending on the grit and the job. I was using 4 or 5 with the 1500 and 5 or 6 with 3000. I would likely use the higher settings once I am more comfortable with how quickly it removes paint.

I even tried some dry sanding. I liked it. You can see the RIDS much better and tell when to stop sanding. I plan to do some more this weekend. I will try to get some pics to show the difference.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

To AutoGeeks & Mike - Thanks for putting this together. This was great learning experience being this was my first time wet/damp sanding. I realize now I have more tools to buy with the Griot's being one of them. After my car came back from the bodyshop, I now feel I have the confidence to tackle the "gifts" they left me.

Thank You Jay for putting your trust in us. Thanks for the pizza too! It was a pleasure working with you and hope our paths cross again. I look forward to seeing your truck on TV!

I was blown away with the amount of work that goes into wet/damp sanding. As many guys as we were on this truck, it still took a ton of work to get this end result. I certainly have a much better appreciation for the body shop guys that do this. They are true craftsman.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4 Shelby View Post
    Obviously Mike is more experienced than me, but, I have been using 4, 5 or 6 depending on the grit and the job. I was using 4 or 5 with the 1500 and 5 or 6 with 3000.

I would likely use the higher settings once I am more comfortable with how quickly it removes paint.

Perfect recommendations. Most the time you'll need the higher speed settings to maintain pad rotation and to do the job in a timely manner.

Believe it or not I think I was demoing on speed setting 3 at this year's Mobil Tech Expo but that's because I didn't want to remove a lot of paint on my black demo hoods as I demoed for 2 1/2 days how to dampsand and then remove the sanding marks using either a Flex 3401 or a Flex PE14

Mobile Tech Expo 2012 - Pictures and Comments

Mike Phillips

Unsticking stickies in this group for my how-to articles.