autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: How to remove tiny pinhole pits in glass windows using a rotary buffer

Quote Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
    Mike is it possible to use any of this stuff with a PC DA polisher? (non XP) or a cordless drill that can be plugged in? I was going to buy a kit for drill use but a lot of them say to set to 1800 RPM for instance like you used on the rotary, but my drill just has a trigger and clutch resistance settings. I did recently inherit an old fully electric drill but I suspect it does not have speed settings either.
    Sure!

If all you're wanting to do is to remove things like the road film, water spots and other gunk that builds up on the glass over time a PC or a drill will work.

For actually abrading glass in a way to remove things like scuffs and shallow scratches, you really need the power of a drill. I think I covered this in my first post of this thread.

Here's a feature I shot with Bryan Fuller on using a PC to machine polish glass using this kit. You can't see what we could see or feel in the studio but this truck has been parked outside since it was purchased new and before we could use it for the glass polishing feature I had to clean up the hood so it looked good on TV

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjJSSqORjKA&hd=1]How to clean and polish glass with Diamondite by machine - YouTube[/video]

The kit we used is not for removing scratches though... at this time we are out of stock of the Glass Resurfacing Creme. I sent out my only two bottles to the other two guys also posting to this thread with glass issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Sure!

If all you're wanting to do is to remove things like the road film, water spots and other gunk that builds up on the glass over time a PC or a drill will work.

For actually abrading glass in a way to remove things like scuffs and shallow scratches, you really need the power of a drill. I think I covered this in my first post of this thread.

Here's a feature I shot with Bryan Fuller on using a PC to machine polish glass using this kit. You can't see what we could see or feel in the studio but this truck has been parked outside since it was purchased new and before we could use it for the glass polishing feature I had to clean up the hood so it looked good on TV

How to clean and polish glass with Diamondite by machine - YouTube

The kit we used is not for removing scratches though... at this time we are out of stock of the Glass Resurfacing Creme. I sent out my only two bottles to the other two guys also posting to this thread with glass issues.

Yeah I'm not in a rush, but I think I'd need the stuff you used in this project because what I'm interested in fixing is the same kind of pinhole pits that build up over the years. I don't have any scratches, and since I clayed the windows last spring I have minimal water spots. It's just full of the pits. Would that creme work with a drill or DA once it's back in stock?

I do have a "future brother-in-law" who recently bought a rotary for polishing his canoe so I could probably borrow that. It's some company I'd never heard of (and can't remember now), nothing that's sold around here as a detailing device. I want to say it was "something" Drill Company or something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Which type of tool are you using?
    What are you trying to accomplish?

I have a GG DA and I am trying to remove some light surface scratches similar to old wiper blade scratches

Post Thanks / Like

OK, dove in this afternoon. Focusing on a test area, have hit it twice and am not making much progress. Mike, how much time did you spend on each section? My first pass I was obviously too delicate as I wanted to be sure I wasn't going to do more harm than good.

2nd run though, I spent a good 3-4 minutes on the same section with enough pressure that my arm was giving out (1500 rpm on the Makita). Results - still many pits, actually can't even tell if I put a dent in any of them. Do I just need to keep at it??

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by courtdale View Post
    OK, dove in this afternoon. Focusing on a test area, have hit it twice and am not making much progress. Mike, how much time did you spend on each section? My first pass I was obviously too delicate as I wanted to be sure I wasn't going to do more harm than good.

2nd run though, I spent a good 3-4 minutes on the same section with enough pressure that my arm was giving out (1500 rpm on the Makita). Results - still many pits, actually can't even tell if I put a dent in any of them. Do I just need to keep at it??
    You need to get heat in there to work for you, without overheating it to the point of creating distortion or ruining your glass (any experts feel free to correct me if wrong). It's high speed and pressure, and it does tear your arms up pretty good if you have an office job (like me, haha). I have 3-4 passes on my windshield to remove the hazing, the glass was definitely warm, and I went through a lot of water and polish. If the pits are deep, you are going to have a hard time removing them.

I posted an update in my other thread a bit ago: swirls in glass
    Luke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 83hurstguy View Post
    You need to get heat in there to work for you, without overheating it to the point of creating distortion or ruining your glass (any experts feel free to correct me if wrong). It's high speed and pressure, and it does tear your arms up pretty good if you have an office job (like me, haha). I have 3-4 passes on my windshield to remove the hazing, the glass was definitely warm, and I went through a lot of water and polish. If the pits are deep, you are going to have a hard time removing them.

I posted an update in my other thread a bit ago: swirls in glass

Hmm, they're deep, looks like I'll have to take of the skirt and get in there again next weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

bump for Frank20

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike,
    I have a bottle of diamondite glass restorer, can this be used with the glass cutting pads to cut and polish the windshield? Do you have a recommendation for something to seal afterwards?

Post Thanks / Like

No pictures of the glass from the inside? My van, mustang and grand marquise all have pitting and it drives me nuts!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like mega-labor. I am VERY impressed. Just last week I had a new window put in one of my cars. GREAT WORK!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast