autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Boy Scouts Troop 840 at Autogeek to earn their Automotive Maintenance Merit Badge - 2017

Boy Scouts Troop 840 at Autogeek to earn their Automotive Maintenance Merit Badge - 2017

On Saturday, April 8th, Autogeek welcomed the Boy Scouts of Troop 840 to our facilities to attend a class on Automotive Maintenance to earn their .

Boy Scouts Automotive Maintenance Merit Badge

As a former Boy Scout myself it was an honor and a genuine pleasure to work with this group of around 28 Boy Scouts, their Scout Masters and parents to help the boys learn about the proper and safe ways to maintain an automobile.

Below are some pictures taken by Izzy Martinez, (yes Yancy's boy), during the class that covered all the basics of maintaining and automobile plus at the end of the class a session on how to change the oil and the oil filter and how to clean and wax the paint.

First thing first we go over what topics the students must learn and demonstrate comprehension over to earn the Automotive Maintenance Merit Badge.

Key to earning the Automotive Maintenance Merit Badge is understanding the importance of using a car's Owner's Manual to locate the manufacturer's recommendations.

FULL CLASS!

To cover all the topics, one of the parents let us use their 2011 Camaro and to fill in any for anything we can't learn from the Camaro and to also let the boys learn how to change the oil and learn how to wax a car, we'll use my 1987 Chevy Silverado.

The benefit to using my truck with so many boys is we don't have to jack-up the truck in order to get under it to change the oil. Plus from experience, most young boys like monster trucks.

I'd also like to say thank you to Frank aka FrankS here on the AGO forum for being my assistant for this class. You can see Frank below holding a white board as I try my best to diagram out the drive train of a car. (I can't draw worth a bean so stay tuned as I'll share the diagram at the end of the pictures.

Mike Phillips

Re: Boy Scouts Troop 840 at Autogeek to earn their Merit Badge with Mike Phillips - 2017

The below pictures are in order they were taken and you'll see us bounce between the Camaro and the truck as we go down a three page list of topics to cover and learn for the Automotive Merit Badge.

First we covered safety and hazards to be aware of. Then we covered the fluids common to most vehicles including,

Brake Fluid
    Engine Oil
    Coolant
    Power Steering Fluid
    Windshield Washer Fluid
    Transmission Fluid
    Battery fluid

We covered

Air filters
    Belts and hoses
    State emissions and safety inspections

A lot of cars have sealed batteries. For example the Camaro battery is sealed battery and located in the trunk.

My truck uses a traditional Group 24 battery so I let the guys see where the caps are located and how to check to see the level of fluid in the battery is correct.

Since they are going to stand on a Werner Work Platform I showed them how to set the safety locks so no one gets hurt and most important, if you don't personally set up a platform like this to make sure the OTHER GUY correctly set the safety locks so no one gets hurt.

I explain what to look for when inspecting a battery...

Then let the boys form a line and take turns inspecting...

Mike Phillips

Re: Boy Scouts Troop 840 at Autogeek to earn their Merit Badge with Mike Phillips - 2017

Continued....

We also cover the importance of the Fuse Block and Fuses...

Plus how to remove a fuse, inspect a fuse and replace a fuse.

Time to check for safety including all the lights, the gauges, what they read and what they mean, seat belts and air bags.

I need a volunteer... (all the boys want to volunteer, that's a good thing)

This is a scary picture....

Headlights - Check!

Brake lights - Check!

Step by step we work through all the topics for the merit badge...

Mike Phillips

Tire safety

We go over tread depth, camber, castor, air pressure and spare tires. Where to locate the factory recommended tire pressure...

To show the guys how to check for correct tire pressure and add air if needed I let them check the tires on my truck...

It's good to have an independent accurate gauge and then you can compare the readings with what the air chuck reads....

He says I need two pounds of air!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for helping are young boys out. Maybe one of them will become a car nut.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Continued....

We covered how gasoline, diesel and hybrid cars work...

We covered how an engine works from air intake, to fuel intake to exhaust to how the power created by the engine is transferred to the transmission and then to the drive axes.

We also cover how to safely and correctly jump start a car with a dead battery.

Back to the classroom to watch me diagram out the drivetrain of a vehicle... (this is embarrassing)

Mike Phillips

Continued....

Time to change the oil! I think this was their favorite part, this or waxing....

Mike Phillips

Continued....

Time to go over exterior care, my specialty.... We talked about washing and drying, compounds and polishes and the simple one-step cleaner/wax.

I shared how to do a traditional car wash and then how to use a waterless wash and then turned the boys loose to clean my truck.

Looking clean and shiny!

Mike Phillips

Continued....

Then we went over the correct way to hand apply a wax followed by how to machine wax....

I think my truck was waxed twice! Sure came out shiny!

Nice work boys!

Mike Phillips

Continued....

After questions and answers it was time to wrap things up!

Here's the Boy Scouts...

One with me....

A thank you to the parents for bringing the Boy Scouts to Autogeek for not only the Merit Badge class but also for Cars & Coffee earlier that morning.

And this is why I'm a typist.... this is my attempt at diagraming the running gear of a vehicle....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast