autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

3-Categories: Waxes, Paint Sealants and Coatings

3-Categories: Waxes, Paint Sealants and Coatings

In an effort to help standardize terms used in the detailing industry, now that CQuartz and Opti-Coat 2.0 are mainstream, there are three general categories in the "Protection" category

• Waxes
    • Paint Sealants
    • Coatings

Waxes
    Generally defined as any product that contains a natural or synthetic waxy ingredients that are intended to protect the paint and/or add beauty to the paint. These types traditional waxes will wear off under normal wear-n-tear, repeated washings and exposure to the environment.

Paint Sealants
    Generally defined as any protection product that contains man-made or synthetic ingredients that are intended to protect the paint and/or add beauty to the paint. These traditional sealants will wear off under normal wear-n-tear, repeated washings and exposure to the environment.

Coatings
    Generally defined as any paint protection product that contains man-made or synthetic protection ingredients that are intended to permanently bond to the paint to both provide a barrier-coating of protection as well as create a clear, high gloss finish. The products available in this category are considered permanent coatings because like your car's paint, they cannot be removed unless you purposefully remove them or you purposefully neglect them.

Definition of permanent in the context of sealing paint
    This is kind of tricky just because the nature of discussion forums is for some personality types to read super literal into each and every single word, in this case the word permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by From TheFreeDictionary.com
    per·ma·nent (pûrm-nnt)
    adj.
    1. Lasting or remaining without essential change: "the universal human yearning for something permanent, enduring, without shadow of change" (Willa Cather).

2. Not expected to change in status, condition, or place: a permanent address; permanent secretary to the president.
    n.

In the context that we refer to coating as permanent it means that once the coating is properly applied and allowed to cure and set-up, it will not come off under normal circumstances or via normal wear-n-tear such as careful washing. So in this context, a coating is permanent in the same manner your car's paint is permanent.

The paint on your car is not going to come off unless you abrade it, chemically dissolve it or in some other mechanical means, purposefully remove it. In this same way, legitimate paint coatings are not going to come off unless you abrade it, chemically dissolve it or on some other mechanical means, purposefully remove it.

Traditional car waxes and paint sealants will wear off under normal use circumstances or via normal wear-n-tear such as careful washing. So in the context of and in comparison with traditional car waxes and paint sealants, paint coatings are permanent.

Examples of Waxes and Paint Sealants can be found here,

Two new coatings now available at Autogeek.net are,

Optimum Polymer Technologies

CarPro Innovative Nano Coats

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3-Categories: Waxes, Paint Sealants and Coatings

Nice! I don't know if I will use any of the coatings. I like waxing too much!

Post Thanks / Like

Bless you my son!!

Great thread Mike!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Question;

Would there be any advantage / disadvantage to adding a sealant and or wax coating on top of a permanent coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Question;

Would there be any advantage / disadvantage to adding a sealant and or wax coating on top of a permanent coating?
    This came up in the Optimum class on Saturday. A wax or sealant can be added to give you the depth or glow that they offer. Also added protection. However, it was said that you don't need to top it with anything if you don't want to. The coating will bead and protect the clear.

The coatings almost act like a 2nd clear coat on the car. So they can be treated as such. At least that was what I got out of it. It's a very cool technology that I may offer to some of my customers if they are willing to pay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn T. View Post
    Nice! I don't know if I will use any of the coatings. I like waxing too much!
    You can actually wax right over it to give you the depth and glow that a quality wax will give you. You just have to ensure that the paint is flawless prior to applying the coating. Because once you put this stuff on the only way to get it off is to polish it off.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

After applying the coat is it worth applying wax / sealant on top of it or the other way (wax/sealant - coat)

Post Thanks / Like

Talk about having to be on your game with paint correction! If you seal in a paint flaw with a coating you are going to be working double time to remove it or waiting a very long time until that coating is worn away. Don't know which would be agonizing, waiting for the coating to wear away(which I don't think would happen for years) or carefully compounding the coating and paint defect/flaw away then trying to re-coat the spot. Has anyone been through this scenario? I am sure the pros like Mike haven't. Since they only put out flawless finishes. Can't wait to be at the level in detailing that I have the opportunity to put a coating on a vehicle.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by santhoshs View Post
    After applying the coat is it worth applying wax / sealant on top of it or the other way (wax/sealant - coat)
    The proper order would be to do the coating, then sealant, then wax.

The coating doesn't need to be topped with anything. That's one of the features of it. However, if you want the depth and glow that say a nuba wax will provide you can top the coating with that.

Just as an FYI I've never actually used this product. We just had a lengthy conversation about the product at the optimum class at Detail Fest. If you want to get someone that has hands on experience with it I'd talk to Superior Shine. He's been using the Opti-Coat for I think around a year now and he can probably answer best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    This came up in the Optimum class on Saturday. A wax or sealant can be added to give you the depth or glow that they offer. Also added protection. However, it was said that you don't need to top it with anything if you don't want to. The coating will bead and protect the clear.

The coatings almost act like a 2nd clear coat on the car. So they can be treated as such. At least that was what I got out of it. It's a very cool technology that I may offer to some of my customers if they are willing to pay.
    Thanks Jason!

I mean, I have allot invested in sealants and waxes and to have one product eliminate their use would cause sleepless nights and I'd need to find another hobby...

Besides, I like detailing too much to switch to coat and forget it product.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast