autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 - Types of Water Spots - Type I, Type II and Type III

I own a black 2012 Dodge Charger and have type II water spots. I'm wondering if any of the new "Black" line of products will work to remove these spots. I know the issue is with the hard water from my home so I will be purchasing a in-line water filter and I already own a PC7424XP so just need to know what else I need to purchase to start the detailing process.

Thank you.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mannytwotwo View Post

I own a black 2012 Dodge Charger and have type II water spots.

I'm wondering if any of the new "Black" line of products will work to remove these spots.
    Blackfire has a compound and a polish in it and one of these products would work.

Quote Originally Posted by mannytwotwo View Post

I already own a PC7424XP so just need to know what else I need to purchase to start the detailing process.

Thank you.

You're going to want some 5.5" thin foam pads like the 5.5" Lake Country Orange Foam Cutting pads plus the Blackfire SRC Compound.

5 inch Backing Plates on Meguiar's, Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers

Buff the paint using this combination till the spots or imprint rings are removed.

Thne polish and wax.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can water spots cause damage to a sealant or the paint if not removed promptly? For example, if you leave your car in the sun for 1 week with water spots, can these spots etch into the paint? With bugs and bird droppings I understand they should be removed quickly.

The link below talks about some stuff that could be in water. How damaging can these minerals be to paint?

Car Wash Guide, Car Wash how to - easy steps to shampoo and dry your vehicle using paint-safe mitts and towels, plus sponges, the Grit Guard and

No water is pure. All water has minerals and most has some form of sediment. If your car shampoo (or hair shampoo) doesn’t lather well and your faucets and fixtures tend to turn green, you’ve got hard water. If water will not sheet off your vehicle and you’re constantly battling water spots, you’ve got hard water. Hard water is mainly caused by calcium and magnesium, which can be removed with a water softener.

Sediment is another common enemy of any paint finish. Sediment is actually dirt and rust in the water line. Water treatment plants filter out sediment but more sediment can enter the pipes between the plant and your home. This is why household faucets have screens in them. If you have well water, beware. You most likely have sediment and hard water.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fastfurious23 View Post

Can water spots cause damage to a sealant or the paint if not removed promptly?

For example, if you leave your car in the sun for 1 week with water spots, can these spots etch into the paint?

Great question.

I think whether or not the water will etch into the paint depends upon what's in the water. I also think that for the most part, after the water has evaporated off the finish, any damage that is going to happen has probably already taken place at that time. More damage won't happened from the water that has dried in the past. Now if it continues to get water on the paint, either the rain or a sprinkler or fill-in-the-blank, then each subsequestn wetting of the paint could lead to more and more damage but again, it depends on what is in the water.

So the question is....

What's in our water now days?

Mike Phillips

6. Likes Azure liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Shared here,

Hard water spots?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123