autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Tip: Frequent car care equals fast and easy car care...

Tip: Frequent car care equals fast and easy car care...
    (In this case a truck)

The last time I detailed Behemoth was the end of April, so for easy math we'll say May, it's December 22nd today and I washed, clayed and waxed Behemoth yesterday, so it's roughly been over 7 months since this truck has seen any kind of maintenance outside of normal washing.

Cleaning, claying and re-sealing the paint was fast and easy after 7 months of outside exposure to the elements, it would be even faster, and even easier if this second detailing session would have been performed a month or two earlier.

The Poli-Coat appears to be holding up well so we're sticking with it and re-applying it as our LSP.

The key point is that putting your car, or your customer's car, on a regular maintenance program makes cleaning and maintaining the exterior faster and easier than waiting so long that the finish degrades to the point where you need to use aggressive products like a compound to remove oxidation, swirls and scratches.

2004 Custom Kodiak Truck

This truck sits outside 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, as such it's exposed to the harsh, Florida weather year around... lots of rain, lots of humidity and lots of sun...

This truck has a clear coat finish but topical staining still takes place...

Instead of washing this truck we wiped it down using the new DP Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate, it easily cleaned the truck up for the next step, claying...

The sides were still smooth so we only had to clay the horizontal surfaces...

Then I applied DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant using a 6.5" Crimson Hydro-Tech Pad on the Porter Cable 7424XP on speed 5.0

A few hours later... finished...

The application of Poli-Coat did a great job of keeping the paint protected but nothing lasts forever, so replacing the sealant that's worn off with a fresh coat of Poli-Coat will help keep this truck looking bright and shiny and make the next wash and wax just as fast and easy.

On the Autogeek Store...
    DP Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate
    Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay
    DP Universal Clay Lubricant
    DP Poli-Coat
    Porter Cable 7424XP
    6.5" Lake Country Hydro-Tech Crimson Finishing Pad
    Cobra Indigo Microfiber Polishing Cloth 6 Pack
    Cobra Supreme 530 Microfiber Towel

So put your car or your customer's car on a regular maintenance plan and you'll spend less time working on your car and more time driving and enjoying your car...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tip: Frequent car care equals fast and easy car care...

Great post, Mike! I love how quickly cars clean up when the wax or sealant is still on the paint. The water just beads right off, making short work of the drying stage.

The same can be said for interiors. If you wait a couple of months between cleanings, you're breaking out all the brushes and heavier chemicals, where if you make it a habit to clean it up once a week, you need only a clean MF towel and maybe a few sprits of an interior detail spray.

Mark

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KSVT View Post
    stage.

The same can be said for interiors. If you wait a couple of months between cleanings, you're breaking out all the brushes and heavier chemicals, where if you make it a habit to clean it up once a week, you need only a clean MF towel and maybe a few sprits of an interior detail spray.

Mark
    Great point... even cleaning your interior once a month goes a long ways towards keeping it new versus months and months and months... the accumulative effect of wear-n-tear, plus whatever else spills, stains, smears etc. makes for more work and more time...

I'll ask Dave how often he washes Behemoth and when he does wash it how he washes it but chances are good he just blasts it with a pressure washer...

He'll be here today to pick it up and I'll post back what I find out...

Not only does Dave move Yachts around at American Custom Yachts Incorporated where he works, but he also takes his buddies Monster Trucks to all the big Mud Truck events around South Florida, next time he goes to the Triple Canopy Ranch event I'll try to get some pictures of his truck and trailer and the trucks on the trailer.

Post Thanks / Like

does autogeek do detailing? if someone came in and wanted there ride done is this possible ?just wondering..
    names tom i live in nj with my wife cindy .and our 3 children. samantha gabriella and little tom...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by trhland View Post
    does autogeek do detailing? if someone came in and wanted there ride done is this possible ?just wondering..
    No. Matt, who works in Tech Support & Customer Service is perfectionist detailer that offers detailing services but as a company we don't offer detailing services to the public.

Good question though...

Mike Phillips

Dave just picked up Behemoth... I asked him how often he washes it and he says about once a month unless it gets muddy towing hauling trucks to the Mud Fest events then it get washed after the event.

I took a quick iPhone video of Dave leaving the studio, it's kind of jittery, that's me walking backwards...

Behemoth
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg2j7Kux4Ao]YouTube - Detailing Behemoth[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

How many gallons to the mile does that thing get?

Post Thanks / Like

So if I understand correctly Mike, you didn't remove the previous layer of sealant (other than what might have been removed during the claying process)? You just "reapplied" the sealant as you stated, correct?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by indianaryan View Post
    So if I understand correctly Mike, you didn't remove the previous layer of sealant (other than what might have been removed during the claying process)? You just "reapplied" the sealant as you stated, correct?
    I wiped the car clean, clayed the horizontal panels and applied a fresh coat of Poli-Coat.

That's the process I used and it worked pretty good, simple yet effective. Any Poli-Coat still left on the surface after 7 months and after repeated washings, being wiped clean and then clayed is welcome to continue on with the journey.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Scott DeBrun View Post
    How many gallons to the mile does that thing get?
    I sent Dave a text message, I'll let you know what he says... I'm kind of curious too...

My guess is less than 10 mpg...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast