autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bump?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AG Online

Mike Phillips

Re: How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results

Quote Originally Posted by psynx View Post

RTU or dilute this as well, since it says its a safer alternative to Alcohol?

When using MS you use it straight out of the can.

Avoid the environmentally versions as they look like milk/water and don't work well at all. (First hand experience). Stick with the one I pictured, it's easy to find and works well.

Sorry for the late reply...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TOFAST4U2C View Post

Wow, there is some really great information here. Mike must be part machine to not only put his thoughts, and ideas into words here but illustrations too. Very time consuming.
    Thank you for the recognition. This was an article I never wanted to read but became compelled to due to all the inaccurate information being foisted upon people unwilling to do the research and write the article.

Quote Originally Posted by TOFAST4U2C View Post

Does it make any difference in using either the IPA or MS method on single stage, non clear coated paint?
    Very good question.

If the paint and car in question are antique, classics, or special interest I would avoid introducing a solvent to single stage paint. It's too porous and will absorb the solvent.

IF this is a new car with single stage paint, like some new cars have single stage white paint, then go for it. My guess is the safest route would be the weak dilution of IPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill220 View Post

After reading through this thread, a thought came to me that maybe one could use 1 ounce of ONR mixed with 31 ounces of water in a spray bottle. Dampen a microfiber cloth with the mixture, mist the area you want to clean and wipe it off. Would this work?
    IF the goal of wiping with ONR is to leave a residue free surface then you might be fighting yourself as ONR contains gloss and shine ingredients...

Note the word "shine" in the product description.

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine

Rocket Science!

Post Thanks / Like

Can Ethyl Alcohol be used instead of Isopropyl Alcohol?

Post Thanks / Like

Why would you even use ipa, ms etc. Just so wax/sealant adheres better? After reading this article . So usually when using ipa's you are using it before the compound polish process or after? And if so is it necessary to use ipa's on every car done before waxing /sealing? Even on a 1 step detail afterwards and then maybe adding a coat of handwax?

Just wanting clarification as to what ipa is so important and what state is it meant for? thanks alot.

Mike i appreciate the indepth lessons you give ! way to spread the wealth buddy! Godbless
    Shaun Halstead Aka "shaunny blaze"
    Christ Lightning Detailing
    Grandslam Detailing

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by sparklingwater View Post

Why would you even use ipa, ms etc. Just so wax/sealant adheres better?
    I think I answered your question in post #23 here,

Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding

Mike i appreciate the indepth lessons you give ! way to spread the wealth buddy! Godbless

I'm blessed to have a job I love...

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would you even use ipa, ms etc. Just so wax/sealant adheres better? After reading this article . So usually when using ipa's you are using it before the compound polish process or after? And if so is it necessary to use ipa's on every car done before waxing /sealing? Even on a 1 step detail afterwards and then maybe adding a coat of handwax?

Just wanting clarification as to what ipa is so important and what state is it meant for? thanks alot.

I use a 12% ipa post compound/polish 1step, 2step or 3 step. I use it to remove any remaining residue and or oils in the compound polish. So whatever wax or sealant bonds to straight paint and does not have anything inbetween. Some products like opticoat if you arent using optimum polishes and compounds will not bond correctly and you wont get full bod or effect of the product. To add to that anything that I opticoat I normally mix a higher ipa mix around 14-15%. Some people are more experianced and braver than me and I have read about them mixing much higher than that even...
    Hope that helps.
    Ipa wipe down post compound/polish will also help for a top inspection to make sure your polish or compound isnt just filling a swirl and making it very hard to see.
    Mikes mixing thread is a lot of help especially when the store is out of your normal % aged isopropoline alcohal.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AG Online
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" Thomas Jefferson,

Post Thanks / Like

After reading this entire thread, why not use one of the specific products design to remove residual oils such as Eraser, Top Inspection or GG Pre Wax Cleaner? These products don't carry the same warnings and dangers as diluted IPA or MS. Am I missing something? IMO, why be a penny wise and a pound foolish if there is even a remote chance of causing harm to the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard of a number of pro detailers that use a mix of window cleaner and IPA for final wipe down. The theory is that the window cleaner provides lubrication as to not instill new marring in the paint as well as keeping the IPA from flashing to rapidly.

Here's the mix used:

16 OZ Window cleaner--alcohol based not ammonia based
    8 OZ 70% IPA
    8 OZ distilled water

Does this make sense??

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi mike I have a query. Did u find the temperature of diluted product higher than IPA or purified water separately?
    Because when I diluted, the mixture in spray bottle felt warmer than it should have been. Looking forward to your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast