autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results

This may sound like a dumb question, but I'll ask anyways. Will using MS soften the finish at all as compared to using an IPA mixed correctly? I am just curious to know, should I wait a certain amound of time after the MS or IPA evaporated before polish, such as a few minutes, or can I go back to it? Since the polisher will be generating some heat, I didn't know if there is a period I should wait

It has been mentioned that IPA contains no lubricants, and is probably not the best idea to wipe it across a polished surface with a lot of pressure. Is blotting IPA applied to a MF towel on the surface as effective as wiping the IPA across at removing any kind of residual polishing oils left behind?

What are your thoughts on using something like PrepSol?

Post Thanks / Like

I have 99% isopropyl alcohol from work that we use to clean fiber optic connectors with. I used this to make my IPA solution in a 36oz. bottle. I went with a 15% solution for now. I might have to back to 10% cause 15% might cause damage to the paint.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 05RLS2 View Post
    This may sound like a dumb question, but I'll ask anyways. Will using MS soften the finish at all as compared to using an IPA mixed correctly? I am just curious to know, should I wait a certain amount of time after the MS or IPA evaporated before polish, such as a few minutes, or can I go back to it? Since the polisher will be generating some heat, I didn't know if there is a period I should wait
    Actually it's a very good question and in my article I actually state,

FWIW
    My colleague stated that Mineral Spirits will tend to penetrate deeper into automotive paints, but it's safer than IPA.

I'm not a chemist so I don't like to type over my head but the big picture is as long as you're using common sense then wiping with either on factory baked-on paint and then waiting for a few minutes you should be able to go right back to work without any issues. People do this everyday and you don't see a plethora of posts on any detailing discussion forum about any issues or problems people are running into with this practice so that's a big picture indicator that there are not any problems.

It has been mentioned that IPA contains no lubricants, and is probably not the best idea to wipe it across a polished surface with a lot of pressure.
    I would strongly agree with your statement. IPA doesn't feel as good to wipe paint with as MS, just test yourself sometime. IPA is a liquid but a poor lubricant. Definitely don't replace the oil in your car engine with IPA

Is blotting IPA applied to a MF towel on the surface as effective as wiping the IPA across at removing any kind of residual polishing oils left behind?
    Blotting is always less aggressive to paint than wiping but probably not as effective as loosening and removing trace oils.

One thing for sure, don't take washing and waxing your car to the point of becoming Rocket Science.

I haven't wiped good paint with it lately and in order to get some I have to go to a PBE store, but from memory it's about like wiping with IPA

Prep-All

1. What are you working on?
    2. What condition is the paint in?

Post Thanks / Like

prep-all doesnt say if it is paint safe???

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 2kredbb6 View Post
    Great Info! I feel smart after reading that, not really..
    But I see why you posted so many options after, the term to each their own comes to mind..
    Definitely everyone has their own personal preferences and opinions....

I wrote this article because I couldn't find a single article anywhere on the topic, just vague recommendations with no specifics. If you read the forum enough you'll come across threads where some forum members tend to get emotional about this topic.

Hopefully this article will act to help people make an informed decision on how they want to proceed for all their own personal detailing projects.

Chemically stripping paint is recommended by a handful of manufacturers while the majority don't specifically state it's mandatory in order for their products to work.

So everyone in the end will have to do some level of their own research and come to their own decisions. This is actually another article that I asked for volunteers to take a stab at writing and when no one stepped up to the plate I wrote one.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by qaz393 View Post
    prep-all doesnt say if it is paint safe???
    It's a product formulated for and targeted towards body shops for prepping panels for new paint.

People use it for a wax and grease remover to chemically strip paint. That doesn't mean it's good or safe for the paint as it's a solvent, not a beauty enhancing polish or wax.

I address an option for cleaning paint that's safe in post #4 of this thread,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Personal thoughts on removing previously applied waxes or paint sealants...
    My personal opinion and habit is to use a light polish or paint cleaner to remove any previously applied waxes or paint sealants to get down to a fresh base.

Not only will a quality light polish or paint cleaner effectively remove any previously applied wax or paint sealant, it will also create a clear, high gloss surface perfect for application of wax or paint sealant. This is what I call working forwards in the process.

For those that are concerned about proper bonding of a wax or paint sealant to the paint due to any trace residues left behind, see my article,

Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

1. What are you working on?
    2. What condition is the paint in?
    1. Just machine polishing and looking for the most effective way of removing any kind of left over polisihing oils that could cause concealing
    2. Factory finish above average and not neglected

Post Thanks / Like

Given the possible issues with IPA and the exposure to solvents from mineral spirits, why not just use Optimum Power Clean or Griot's Pre-wax Cleaner or Paint Prep if you're concerned about residue?

Mike Phillips

[/LIST]
    1. Just machine polishing and looking for the most effective way of removing any kind of left over polishing oils that could cause concealing
    2. Factory finish above average and not neglected
    When working on a factory finish as long as you're using common sense you're not going to harm the paint with anything listed in this article. The fastest stripper to make and use is just get a 16 ounce bottle of 50% IPA and pour it into a 32 ounce bottle with the other half water and this will peel any residues off so you can see the true condition of the paint. That's the fast, no brainer way to create your own chemical stripper.

MS wipes a lot easier and it doesn't feel so antagonistic to the paint.

Washing the car gently is another option but that takes time and gets the car all wet again.

Try not to make something so simple too complicated...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    Given the possible issues with IPA and the exposure to solvents from mineral spirits, why not just use Optimum Power Clean or Griot's Pre-wax Cleaner or Paint Prep if you're concerned about residue?
    All of the above are great options too...

Post Thanks / Like

This may sound like a dumb question, but I'll ask anyways. Will using MS soften the finish at all as compared to using an IPA mixed correctly? I am just curious to know, should I wait a certain amound of time after the MS or IPA evaporated before polish, such as a few minutes, or can I go back to it? Since the polisher will be generating some heat, I didn't know if there is a period I should wait

It has been mentioned that IPA contains no lubricants, and is probably not the best idea to wipe it across a polished surface with a lot of pressure. Is blotting IPA applied to a MF towel on the surface as effective as wiping the IPA across at removing any kind of residual polishing oils left behind?

IPA leaves the paint faster than mineral spirits or prepsol does. IPA can leave within a few hours while other slower solvents can remain much longer.

Check out this product:

Review: CarPro Eraser

ERASER vs. IPA (+ VIDEO)
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast