autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How long does it take for a bird dropping to etch paint?

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Corey,

This might just be a candidate for the nearest automatic car wash. I mean just how much worse can it get!
    You got a point there Bobby!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Sparrow: three days
    Crow: one day
    Parakeet: 6 months
    Buzzard: 30 seconds
    American Eagle: Never unless you drive a foreign car, then instantly.

Now you know.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a subject near and dear to my heart. My car, a 2008 model, was bird bombed a few months after buying. These bird bombs must have contained nuclear waste because the largest did the type two damage. Having done body work in the past I knew the clear coat was permanently damaged. This led to my research on bird crap. You know, a subject you can discuss with all your friends! Found that some birds produce even more toxic turds than others. Pigeons are one of the bad boys. More concentrated uric acid. From what I read you should even put something on your paint that will neutalize acid like baking soda and water, let it soak, then wash or it may continue to eat away at your paint. Needless to say it teachs you to be very afraid of bird crap! Instant Removal!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to bump this thread up and let new users know how important this is.

I haven't really paid much attention to 'bird bombs' until today. Overnight a bird pooped on my opti-coated, blacklighted, V7'd black roof leaving a type 1(thank god not 2) etch. I quickly wiped it this morning but noticed a blemish. Lo and behold, an etch! Fuuuuuuuuuuuu

Haven't really kept a quick detailer in the car, now is a different story. As soon as I see a 'bomb,' off it goes.

/rant

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mamut View Post
    Just wanted to bump this thread up and let new users know how important this is.

I haven't really paid much attention to 'bird bombs' until today. Overnight a bird pooped on my opti-coated, blacklighted, V7'd black roof leaving a type 1(thank god not 2) etch. I quickly wiped it this morning but noticed a blemish. Lo and behold, an etch! Fuuuuuuuuuuuu

Haven't really kept a quick detailer in the car, now is a different story. As soon as I see a 'bomb,' off it goes.

/rant

Thank you for bumping the thread and re-enforcing how important it is to carry some spray detailer and a couple of clean microfiber towels with you at all times for the car or toy that's important to you.

Here's a tip...

Place a couple of clean, folded microfiber towels in a 1-gallon size zip-lock baggie to keep them clean and tuck them away inside your car, truck or suv somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guys, re-reading the bird poop posts- would the weather conditions have an effect of the speed at which the damage is done? Our temps in south Texas are brutal. If a car has been sitting outside and the paint temp is well into the 100's, does that enable the damage to take place even faster?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SATracker View Post
    Hey Guys, re-reading the bird poop posts- would the weather conditions have an effect of the speed at which the damage is done? Our temps in south Texas are brutal. If a car has been sitting outside and the paint temp is well into the 100's, does that enable the damage to take place even faster?
    Great question SATracker!

Look forward to reading a reply!!

Mike Phillips

Hi temperatures would cause the body panels and the paint to expand this couldn't be helpful.

Warm temps in some situations accelerate cleaning/dissolving action, for example you can wash oil grunge off your hands with soap and warm water better than you can with soap and cold water.

Of course, warm or hot temps will evaporate off the liquids faster so they might have less effect.

I don't know?

Here's what I know, keep some spray detailer in your car and some clean microfiber towels and as soon as discovered remove it.

Dang birds...

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike, I have a detailing emergency kit in the trunk of my car and I've made emergency kits for family members for Christmas presents.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike, I have a detailing emergency kit in the trunk of my car and I've made emergency kits for family members for Christmas presents.
    That, is a great idea!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast