autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mike Phillips

Re: Tape it off and avoid a lifetime of ugly...

Quote Originally Posted by -Longhorn- View Post
    Sorry for bumping old post but how did you get that old crust off?
    I didn't.

At least I didn't get it all off. I do try to do my customer a favor and remove as much as I can without spending a year doing it.

Here's how...
    I take a microfiber and shove it between the ribs and run it back and forth and put pressure to one side or the other. Sometimes I shove the microfiber in-between the ribs and twist it... and then rub it back and forth. And sometimes I do all of the above and dampen the microfiber with a spray detailer.

Most owners don't even notice it till I point it out and I always point it out and document it so they don't think I did it. A good practice.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use my powerwasher to blow out all the dust and if any splatter once I am done compounding but granted I dont work on classics where water is that much of a concern at all.
    Swirl Free Since 2003!!!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by -Longhorn- View Post
    I usually use my powerwasher to blow out all the dust and if any splatter once I am done compounding but granted I dont work on classics where water is that much of a concern at all.

This compound splatter had been there for months or even years, it was case-hardened. This is what I call,

TOGW = The Other Guy's Wax

And personally, I very much dislike removing the other guy's wax but it goes with the job, that's why I do my best not to put the residue in to hard to reach places in the first place.

Good point about classics... for those not aware, it's a good practice to not get water down into the cracks and crevices of classic and antique cars because it promotes rust. So if you can, avoid washing classic and restored cars and use either a waterless wash or a spray detailer to clean before buffing.

Post Thanks / Like

A sort of Deja Vu.

At least 25 years ago, I detailed a car for the best looking cutie in the hood, Donna, (but we later wound up referring to her as "D-Love". Don't ask) Yes, I dated her when I was 19, but she was just too much to handle. She was gorgeous, and Italian.

Pictures & Photos of Jennifer Esposito - IMDb

I mean like Jennifer Esposito gorgeous!

She took nice care of her car, and wanted me to give it the d-lux treatment. Well, I did, you could've eaten off the car, in and out, I think it was one of those God ugly Granadas.

Anyway, after she did a walk around inspection, what does she note, is the rear passenger quarter panel all bashed in. And was "asking me what happened to her car?"

I told her I don't have the slightest clue as to where that damage came from, but it surely wasn't me!

Sure enough, her brother Joey borrowed the car the night before, got drunk, and messed her clean car up. Damn shame.

But, the moral of the story, is "ALWAYS" do a "walk around" with a customer, and you better be looking real close with coke bottle glasses on, lest you be blamed for such. Mark
    Last edited by MarkD51; 02-22-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Mike Phillips

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123