autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Tape it off and avoid a lifetime of ugly...

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post
    Or use water based compounds / polishes, makes cleanup much faster.
    Great idea... for some applications...

Most body shop products are formulated for just this reason, but I personally still wouldn't want to have to blast water down the fresh air intake of someone else's car or any other place to remove polish splatter...

Plus then you would have to decide if you're going to do this before the LSP step or after the LSP step. I've done this before, that is wash a car after all the grunt work is done and then finish it off but for me I would rather tape-off then re-wet the car.

Risk of Rust
    Plus a lot of antique and/or classic cars the owner doesn't want you getting it wet because water will get into places that can't be dried and that creates a rust issue that many owners of classics don't want to risk.

Blasting compound or polish residue off new cars like a Honda or a Hyundai? Go for it... Most new cars don't have fresh air grills like classic cars referenced in this thread.

Everyone can find the way that works best for them and their own style... this article was just a suggestion for those looking for a solution or alternative to what they're currently doing.

Mike Phillips

I spoke with Mike Pennington, the Director of Training for Meguiar's about some of the cool features for the new Meguiar's Tape and have summarized our conversation below...

The new Meguiar's Masking is really designed to be a great general purpose tape which lends itself well to use in the detailing world.

Product Attributes:
    • Excellent handling
    • Instant adhesion and good holding power
    • Resists curling and lifting
    • Solvent and moisture resistant
    • Ideal for automotive detail application

Normal painter's tape, usually the blue or green tape we commonly see and use when taping-off a car, is a fantastic tape, it is really an overkill from a design perspective for the detailing market.

Normal painter's tape is purposefully constructed for application where a wet edge (critical edge) is present, that is where fresh paint is being applied and for this reason one of its main features is designed to prevent bleed-through. That is to say that painter’s tape is designed so that wet paint won't leak under it at the edges. This is an important feature when applying fresh paint.

When detailing cars, this is an unnecessary feature that affects price. The Meguiar's masking tape is more specific to the needs of detailing, it is safe enough to protect what you want to cover and protect from product residue but not over designed for its intended use. In addition, the Meguiar's tape has much improved adhesion performance over traditional painters tape when exposed to situations where water is present. (For example - Wet sanding)

Note that because Meguiar's tape is not designed for use where a critical edge is a factor, it is not recommended for use as an actual "Painter's Tape".

Painter's Tape and Detailing Masking Tape, different designs for different applications.

Hope this helps...

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, no need to blast it with water. I use a wet MF to clean up residue, as water based compounds / polishes clean up a lot faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I spoke with Mike Pennington, the Director of Training for Meguiar's about some of the cool features for the new Meguiar's Tape and have summarized our conversation below...

When detailing cars, this is an unnecessary feature that affects price. The Meguiar's masking tape is more specific to the needs of detailing, it is safe enough to protect what you want to cover and protect from product residue but not over designed for its intended use. In addition, the Meguiar's tape has much improved adhesion performance over traditional painters tape when exposed to situations where water is present. (For example - Wet sanding)
    I have noticed this as well. Great to hear my experiences confirmed!

I know when i first saw the tape i said i will just go get some form Home Depot/Lowes. WRONG! it was almost $8 a rolll there. much cheaper from AG!

Mike Phillips

Mike, no need to blast it with water. I use a wet MF to clean up residue, as water based compounds / polishes clean up a lot faster.
    What if the splatter is inside an area you can't wipe, like the pictures I included of the fresh air grills on classic cars, which was one of the points about covering these areas off in this article?

Zero splatter under the grill of this 1964 Ford Falcon

In this picture, what you don't see is all the spatter from the other guy that's down inside, under the area you could wipe by hand.

Here's the ugly part...

Regardless... however it works for you is the best way...

As for me, I don't want a customer unhappy so I tape-off these areas that cannot be reached by hand and wiped.

Post Thanks / Like

Great info as always Mike & thanks!!!
    I TAPE off & cover everything I don't want to clean,because I didn't want to Tape!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, not saying that taping up is bad, so please don't get me wrong.

Mike Phillips

Mike, not saying that taping up is bad, so please don't get me wrong.
    There's actually times when taping, wiping and even washing may be needed, something for everyone and every situation.

I guess the bigger point I was trying to make is that all to often on "Classic" cars, I see splatter in places that cannot be wiped, they could be rinsed or maybe blasted with a strong spray of water but if the car in question is a classic then some owners don't want water introduced to their car because it will get into places that it cannot be dried and this is a rust issue.

By taping these types of areas off, you avoid unsightly splatter that cannot be removed because you cannot reach it by hand and you don't want to introduce water to the car.

With new cars this isn't as much of an issue but with classics it is.

Your suggestion is a good one though and I'm sure that everyone that reads this thread into the future will benefit from all the ideas presented in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Well you can tape up and use a water based compound / polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    What if the splatter is inside an area you can't wipe, like the pictures I included of the fresh air grills on classic cars, which was one of the points about covering these areas off in this article?

Zero splatter under the grill of this 1964 Ford Falcon

In this picture, what you don't see is all the spatter from the other guy that's down inside, under the area you could wipe by hand.

Here's the ugly part...

Regardless... however it works for you is the best way...

As for me, I don't want a customer unhappy so I tape-off these areas that cannot be reached by hand and wiped.

Sorry for bumping old post but how did you get that old crust off?
    Swirl Free Since 2003!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast