autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Beginning Clearcoat Failure

Beginning Clearcoat Failure

Here is the best example I've been able to find that shows beginning clear coat failure, it's from a thread I created on MeguiarsOnline called the The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

Since I have not been able to find a similar car with the beginning of clear coat failure to photograph for the AG forum, and because this is a very useful picture for helping people diagnose what type of problem they're having with their car's clear coat I've added to the Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive here on AG but have given proper credit to where I obtained the photograph.

Due credit where due credit is due.... which more people would do this...

On AutogeekOnline.com

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beginning Clearcoat Failure

I have recently worked on a couple of late model 528i BMWs that both showed beginning - advanced clear coat failure. In the case of each the roof & rear bumpers were the first to go. Model years 1997 (Indigo Red) & 2000 (Jet Black). It's that era of production times that I tend to see the most clear coat failures.

Obviously things have gotten better over the past 10 years or so as I have also recently worked on vehicles that had NEVER received a wax & are pushing the 7-8 year new mark ........... next time I'll snap some pics of the failed clear coat.
    Shade Tree Auto Detailing
    Austin, Texas & surrounding areas

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Shade Tree View Post

next time I'll snap some pics of the failed clear coat.

That would be great, I have not built up the photo gallery for the Clear Coat Failure Archive as much as I should have by now...

It's easy to find extreme clear coat failure, it's hard to get pictures of when it's just starting and it usually needs to be a dark color or black to capture.

Post Thanks / Like

I really, really hate to be able to say this, but I'll take a couple photo's of my car tomorrow (if I have time before I leave for work) So you'll have an example of the very incipient stage of it, a early stage, medium, and full-blown. Unfortunately, I've got it all.

I can wax it (and do) as much as I want, but the best wax in the world can't stop a defect that's been present since before the car was made, and under the clearcoat too.
    2000 Lincoln Town Car Cartier, 73,000 Miles, Ivory Parchment Pearlescent Tri-Coat.
    1993 GMC Sierra SLE, 134,093 Miles, Hunt Club Red Metallic/Silver.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a small spot on my roof where I think clearcoat failure is just starting. Which is weird because I always keep my car clean and waxed. It's been there probably 4 - 6 weeks or so, and hasn't changed. Kinda weird. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow if I can. Looks like a trip to the body shop is in order.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the delay Mike, but here you are:

There is one more (which is the shot I wanted to get you) which didn't turn out so well, since it is later in the afternoon, it's really gotta be done around noon for it to reveal itself. I'll try for that easily next week. It hasn't begun to turn white yet, but you can see where the affected clear is slightly "darker" than the rest, and the clear up top is just ever so slightly cloudy.
    2000 Lincoln Town Car Cartier, 73,000 Miles, Ivory Parchment Pearlescent Tri-Coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    I have a small spot on my roof where I think clearcoat failure is just starting. Which is weird because I always keep my car clean and waxed. It's been there probably 4 - 6 weeks or so, and hasn't changed. Kinda weird. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow if I can. Looks like a trip to the body shop is in order.
    Can you tell me if this is the beginning of clear coat failure? Is this something I should be concerned about? What do you think I should do about it?

Personally, I think I've just loved the paint right off my car.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, yes, it's begun to fail. The only thing you can do is repaint the panel, or the whole car.

I know what you mean about loving the paint off the car...

Post Thanks / Like

while we are on the subject, Honda seems to have an issue with their dark blues. They had some issues on 2nd generation odysseys, 3rd gen odysseys (where you could actually blow the paint off with a compressor stream of air) and i can personally speak of issues with 8th generation civics. my wife's 2007 si sedan in fiji blue pearl has the clear failing on the roof in two spots - it's starting to haze/craze in a big patch in front of the sunroof and a smaller patch, about 3" across, near the rear window upper edge. Her car has about 65k on it (had it since new) and i called the dealer about it. they said they would call me when the rep came by but they never did. i haven't pursued it because frankly i'm so unhappy with the quality of hondas now i'll probably leave it alone until she trades it in to our broker and he can deal with it.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Can you tell me if this is the beginning of clear coat failure? Is this something I should be concerned about? What do you think I should do about it?

Personally, I think I've just loved the paint right off my car.
    Uh oh. That doesn't bode well..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast