autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove water spots by hand

great write up Mike. bringing this one back a little. I bought my 2013 F150 in December 2013. It was sitting on the lot for over a year and has some hard water spots that Bar keepers friend and 0000 wool doesn't get out. could I try vinegar on glass too and no ill effect to the plastics the excess run down to the side walls?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by yanki01 View Post

I bought my 2013 F150 in December 2013. It was sitting on the lot for over a year and has some hard water spots that Bar keepers friend and 0000 wool doesn't get out.
    And this is on the exterior glass?

could I try vinegar on glass too and no ill effect to the plastics the excess run down to the side walls?
    You can try Vinegar on the glass my guess is that if rubbing steel wool over the glass didn't abrade off the water spots that vinegar isn't going to touch it either.

Something I would try would be to buff the glass with a wool pad on a rotary buffer and a quality clearcoat safe compound like Wolfgang Uber Compound.

I've used Meguiar's #4 a lot in my life and it always worked pretty good for this type of project.

Also, use painter's tape and tape off all the inside edges around the windshield frame so you don't sling splatter all over the place especially in the felt or rubber gaskets the glass slides up and down against. And plan on washing the truck and windows when you're done.

Mike Phillips

I'd recommend also reading this article,

Using Vinegar to remove water spots

In it I explain why vinegar works and why it DOESN'T work for removing water spots.

It's one of those, someone at sometime had good luck and posted it to a forum and now it gets regurgitated and parroted all over the forum world with most people that recommend it not knowing what they're talking about.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    And this is on the exterior glass?

You can try Vinegar on the glass my guess is that if rubbing steel wool over the glass didn't abrade off the water spots that vinegar isn't going to touch it either.

Something I would try would be to buff the glass with a wool pad on a rotary buffer and a quality clearcoat safe compound like Wolfgang Uber Compound.

I've used Meguiar's #4 a lot in my life and it always worked pretty good for this type of project.

Also, use painter's tape and tape off all the inside edges around the windshield frame so you don't sling splatter all over the place especially in the felt or rubber gaskets the glass slides up and down against. And plan on washing the truck and windows when you're done.

thanks Mike. yes, it is on the exterior of my front windshield. it's more noticeable during rain or when I engage the wiper blades with wiper spray and you can really see them come to life, then somewhat fade away when it dries. very odd and I'm not sure if it's totally hard water spots or some type of acid from it cooking on the lot for over a year in Texas heat?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

recommended by another user, any thoughts or have you worked with Zanio Z-12?

Mike Phillips

thanks Mike. yes, it is on the exterior of my front windshield. it's more noticeable during rain or when I engage the wiper blades with wiper spray and you can really see them come to life, then somewhat fade away when it dries. very odd and I'm not sure if it's totally hard water spots or some type of acid from it cooking on the lot for over a year in Texas heat?

I grew up and lived most of my life in Oregon. It rains a little in Oregon.

I detailed cars for most of my life starting in high school and moved to Irvine to work for Meguiar's in 2002, point being many of the daily drivers I buffed out had water spots on the paint and on the glass.

Here's the deal...

You can't detail a car and remove the water spots on the paint but give the customer back their car with water spots still on the glass.

So I've buffed out a lot of water spots on glass in my life. In my detailing classes I teach people to tackle three areas BEFORE washing the and one of these areas is to machine polish the glass to save time.

I don't remember ever coming across water spots on glass and road film that I could not buff off.

Scratches IN the glass is a different story. If we're talking about water spots and the type of road film that builds up ON the glass I don't remember ever not being able to buff glass clean.

Most of the time I used Meguiar's #4 Heavy Cut Cleaner which was their wording for Heavy Cut Compound. (There's a story behind the words).

I think you can get the same cleaning effect from any clearcoat safe paint compound and a wool pad on a rotary buffer.

ALWAYS TEST FIRST BUT NOT WHERE THE DRIVER LOOKS THROUGH THE WINDSHIELD

Don't ask me how I know...

Mike Phillips

recommended by another user, any thoughts or have you worked with Zanio Z-12?

I've probably tested or used it at some point in my life as I've purchased everything made by Zaino at one time when I was tasked at Meguiar's with testing competitors products.

I don't remember the anything about the Z-12 product off hand...

Just whatever you want to try do some testing first and make sure whatever it is you're rubbing against the glass isn't putting scratches into the glass.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the help Mike. i'll check out M#4 and see how it works.

Post Thanks / Like

This is really a big help for me.. Lot of thanks sir Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike

Good tips and needed.

Last week I washed a large black 2014 Toyota SUV, water spots everywhere.
    My schedule has been very full since opening my shop so I called my customer to let her know about the water spots.
    She will send it back to me after the holidays.

I'll try your steps, in order

Kevin
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast