autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thin is in...

Mike Phillips

Re: Thin is in... New Lake Country Hydro-Tech Low Profile 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads

If you're attending the class tomorrow you'll have a chance to try these new pads plus all all the DA Polishers...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thin is in... New Lake Country Hydro-Tech Low Profile 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    If you're attending the class tomorrow you'll have a chance to try these new pads plus all all the DA Polishers...

Be there, 9AM.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    I know at one time they said they had the problem resolved.
    Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    They are a different tpye of foam and require a little more care. As far as backing or center of the pad I have never had one issue. I dry my pads completely...
    Thanks for the answers guys!
    Guillaume is my name.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the Tangerine pad a "follow up" pad after heavy compounding with the Cyan?

for instance, if I used the 105/205 combo or the WG Twins. Would I start with the Cyan and then for my 2nd step use the Tangerine and then LSP with the Crimson?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    That was my traditional route, M105/cyan, M205/tangerine, PO85RD/gray not crimson.

Sent using Tapatalk
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Mike Phillips

Hard to believe this thread is almost 4 years old!

But it's still true today...

Thin is in...

At least when it comes to polishers like the Porter Cable 7424XP.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstone View Post

What about them makes them better?

Like how does being thinner make it maintain speed better?

Sorry I just now found your question, but the reason a thin pad is better than a thick pad when it comes to the Porter Cable, Meguiar's and Griot's dual action polishers is because they are NOT direct drive and as such thicker and even larger pads mean more mass or volume of foam for these tools to try to keep rotating.

Thinner, smaller pads rotate and oscillate easier simply because they have less mass.

Since this article was written, proof that thinner pads are better for dual action polishers include,

The Meguiar's Xtra Cut Microfiber pads. They are about 1/8th of an inch thin.

This microfiber pad and the matching compound are intended to do a very good job of replacing the work in the detailing industry traditionally performed by a rotary buffer. This means squeezing every bit of correction ability possible out of a Porter Cable or in this example a Meguiar's DA polisher. And this is in part done by making the Xtra cut pad thin so the tool can maintain pad rotation/oscillation for heavy correction work.

Lake Country Thin Purple Foamed Wool Pads
    The Lake Country THIN Purple Foamed Wool Pad for use with dual action polishers like the Porter Cable, Meguiar's and Griot's dual action polishers.

I called this trend years ago and it comes from years of actually using this tool to buff out just about everything under the sun and teaching others to do likewise.

I think I have the only article on the Internet that documents the history of dual action polishers.

The history behind polishing paint with a DA Polisher

Mike Phillips

Re: Thin is in...

Mike Phillips

Re: Thin is in...

I'll be sharing info about the history of the first THIN foam pads from Lake Country today.

Click this link for more info

LIVE BROADCAST - Tuesday, May 12th at 3:00pm Eastern Time - Tips & Techniques

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123