autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Mike Phillips

Re: The benefits of a light paint cleaner, cleansing lotion or pre-wax cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by AKT View Post
    Does clay do the same thing? Does it remove embedded traffic film?

I would say “no” not effectively or thoroughly.

Clay first then use a polish to remove embedded dirt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I would say “no” not effectively or thoroughly.

Clay first then use a polish to remove embedded dirt.

Thanks Mike! Clay then AIO seems more feasible for me

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by AKT View Post

Thanks Mike!

Clay then AIO seems more feasible for me
    A quality AIO or generically a quality one-step cleaner/wax is another great option.

Claying remove above surface bonded contaminants

A quality cleaner/wax or if using a cleaner/wax that is actually based upon synthetic protection ingredients than a one-step cleaner/SEALANT (same category of products), will deep clean and also remove below surface defects like swirls, scratches and water spots.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

The benefits to using a paint cleaner
    • Removes sub-surface and pore-embedding stains that washing and claying will not remove and your eyes cannot detect.

• Removes or improves fine swirls, scratches and other minor surface defects like water spots and etchings.

• Maximizes surface smoothness which maximizes gloss and shine.

• Restores optical clarity to clear coats so your eyes can see the true color underneath.

• Restores the full richness of color to single stage paints.

• Cleans the surface of any impurities that cold block or hinder the protection ingredients from bonding to or adhering to the paint.

• Helps your choice of wax or paint sealant to last long and thus protect longer because it can bond better.

• Helps your car’s paint to look better over the service life of the car.

• Maintaining your car’s appearance protects your investment.

• You're working forward in the process, not backwards.

The benefits seems pretty similar to the ones of Meguiars "Ultimate Polish". If I only do it like once a year, would it be okay to just skip the paint cleaner and use Meguiars "Utimate Polish", followed by just wiping with clean microfiber and then applying the sealant?

I was thinking on after polishing with the DA, removing the residue with a combination of ~10% IPA + ONR + Optimum Power Clean degreaser, to disolve oils and add lubricity but I might be overthinking and just the towel alone is enough if I just used Ultimate Polish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwite View Post
    The benefits seems pretty similar to the ones of Meguiars "Ultimate Polish". If I only do it like once a year, would it be okay to just skip the paint cleaner and use Meguiars "Utimate Polish", followed by just wiping with clean microfiber and then applying the sealant?

I was thinking on after polishing with the DA, removing the residue with a combination of ~10% IPA + ONR + Optimum Power Clean degreaser, to disolve oils and add lubricity but I might be overthinking and just the towel alone is enough if I just used Ultimate Polish
    You can skip the paint cleaner. And, JMO...... Pass on the Meg's UP. It works well enough, but it is a b!tch to remove.

And you do not need to IPA/degrease after using a quality polish. Just go straight to your LSP. (Unless you are using a coating).
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Thanks vwite thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    You can skip the paint cleaner. And, JMO...... Pass on the Meg's UP. It works well enough, but it is a b!tch to remove.

And you do not need to IPA/degrease after using a quality polish. Just go straight to your LSP. (Unless you are using a coating).
    Thanks, I was just trying to follow what Mike said about using the same brand when possible since their chemists know what was on products of the step before and what to put on products of the next step.

I wanted to try M27 sealant, what other polisher would you recommend that is easy to remove with just the towel?

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwite View Post
    Thanks, I was just trying to follow what Mike said about using the same brand when possible since their chemists know what was on products of the step before and what to put on products of the next step.

I wanted to try M27 sealant, what other polisher would you recommend that is easy to remove with just the towel?

Thank you!
    Any Griot's product (Griot's creams) or 3D products are sun-friendly, zero (or 99.9%) dust free, and remove easily with a quality MF towel.

I am just a hobbyist, and these two polishes are my go-to's.

Many more opinions to come........ lol
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

9. Thanks vwite thanked for this post
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678