autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mike Phillips

Re: How To remove Paint Transfer off your car's paint

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post

This is AWESOME!!! I've actually got a vehicle coming Thursday that I believe will have paint transfer. So we'll see how it goes.

I don't have any paint cleaners, but do you think Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze or BF One Step would Suffice?

I also have 3D One, Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish, and also the Sonax Perfect Finish.

Here's the deal....

Normally with this type of issue, that is where someone has rubbed or bumped their car against something, the paint on the "thing" came off and KEY WORD --> IMPACTED <-- ONTO the paint of the car. It's ON THERE.

The technique I use and I share in this article is to NOT machine polish first. The paint transfer can be so IMPACTED ONTO THE paint of the car -that machine polishing is not as safe or as effective as simply RUBBING ON THE PAINT TRANSFER BY HAND.

Make sense?

By rubbing by hand you keep temperatures LOW. You can also stay focused on JUST the impacted paint. Remove the impacted paint FIRST by hand and THEN machine polish the underlying paint to perfect it and remove any marring you caused by rubbing by hand.

I'm telling everyone straight-up - this is the SAFE approach. Sure machine polishing can work if the offending paint transfer is not too impacted onto the car - but you won't find out until you start working on the car.

Me? I take the safe approach. Everyone else can do as they see fit in their eyes.

One more thing, when removing paint transfer by hand first, a compound works best. In fact an aggressive compound that you can still feel grit or abrasives in it. Basically the abrasives are going to CHEW off the paint transfer. It's hard to find any quality compounds that you can FEEL the abrasives in them because everything is so refined now days.

The OLD RUPES Zephir Gloss Compound was like this. I have not felt the new RUPES DA Compound or the Rotary Compound. Most compounds now days feel like Jergens hand lotion. This is great for normal paint correction but for removing paint transfer - old school works better.

Same goes for COTTON TERRYCLOTH instead of microfiber. Cotton terrycloth like a wash cloth out of the linen closet has more bite than microfiber and enhances the bite of the compound.

Hope this helps...

2. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That totally makes sense, and does indeed help. Thank you Mike!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post

That totally makes sense, and does indeed help. Thank you Mike!

As I always say,

The little things are the big things...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234