autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mike Phillips

Re: The story of 3 H's - Horrendous, Horror Story and Hack Detailers...

Quote Originally Posted by JKDesign View Post

Mike,

i have read through this thread a few times since I joined this forum, and this really caught my attention this time through. I must've scanned over it the first couple times.

-Anyways, this caught my attention as I was in this situation at one point in time with a previous job. It is not a fun situation to be in, and its even worse for those of us with diagnosed OCD.

Having to produce hack work of your own to cover up/fix hack work from careless painters- just to get a vehicle out the door on schedule -is not something I wish upon anyone.

I completely understand and that's why I invested the time to carefully write this article.

I know and understand that sometimes it's not the fault of the guy doing the work, it's just the situation they are in.

Thank you for taking the time to re-read the article and making the above comment.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JKDesign View Post

Mike,
    i have read through this thread a few times since I joined this forum, and this really caught my attention this time through. I must've scanned over it the first couple times.

-Anyways, this caught my attention as I was in this situation at one point in time with a previous job.

It is not a fun situation to be in, and its even worse for those of us with diagnosed OCD. Having to produce hack work of your own to cover up/fix hack work from careless painters- just to get a vehicle out the door on schedule -is not something I wish upon anyone.

And now knowing your background a little better, I can appreciate that you did a second read-through and then took the time to share your own experience.

I for one am completely empathetic to anyone that works for a dealership or body shop or even a detail shop that does sub-par work but they need the job to put food on the table, at least in the moment.

The good news is most people in this situation are able to find an escape route and leave job situations that they know are never going to change and worse - are going to drive them crazy.

I think his is just ONE of the reasons dealerships have such a high turnover rate in their detailing department. The people they hire get tired of doing crap work and taking orders from someone that doesn't care they are doing crap work and then they figure out that they can do the same work they're doing only do it right and keep all the money for themselves.

3. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed this read. Nice one Mike!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

in 1963 and 1964 i worked for a Pontiac dealer. my job was to clean up used and new cars for delivery.

i also had to buff out new paint work that came out of the body shop.all paint work was done in lacquer , that had to be polished.

we had #2 compound which was like rocks in a can. we also had to wet sand the new paint to get it smooth. the finest wet or dry sand paper was 600 grit that was the finest at the time.

you had 1 buff pad and that was wool .swirls was the norm.

i would finish buffing out the paint with blue coral liquid, that would take care of the swirls.. that was in the mid 60s.

6. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post

in 1963 and 1964 i worked for a Pontiac dealer. my job was to clean up used and new cars for delivery.

we also had to wet sand the new paint to get it smooth. the finest wet or dry sand paper was 600 grit that was the finest at the time.
    WOW!

#600 grit sandpaper is so course. They must have put a LOT of paint on the cars back then.

1. Sanding removes paint
    2. Compounding removes paint
    3. Polishing removes a little paint

i would finish buffing out the paint with blue coral liquid, that would take care of the swirls.. that was in the mid 60s.
    Back then that was the "system".

Meguiar's introduced the FOAM buffing pad in 1965 but that doesn't mean everyone knew about them or had access to them.

When I started calling on body shops in the late 1980's - I called on many shops, I would even say MOST of the shops I called had still never seen foam buffing pads.

We've come a long way....

8. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    WOW!

#600 grit sandpaper is so course. They must have put a LOT of paint on the cars back then.

1. Sanding removes paint
    2. Compounding removes paint
    3. Polishing removes a little paint

Back then that was the "system".

Meguiar's introduced the FOAM buffing pad in 1965 but that doesn't mean everyone knew about them or had access to them.

When I started calling on body shops in the late 1980's - I called on many shops, I would even say MOST of the shops I called had still never seen foam buffing pads.

We've come a long way....

Whoah that's some amazing history in just a few paragraphs!!!

Post Thanks / Like

i also had to buff out new paint work that came out of the body shop.all paint work was done in lacquer , that had to be polished.

we had #2 compound which was like rocks in a can. we also had to wet sand the new paint to get it smooth. the finest wet or dry sand paper was 600 grit that was the finest at the time.

WOW!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345