autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Dirt in Paint or DIP - Stained Paint - Dirt Embedded Paint

Dirt in Paint or DIP - Stained Paint - Dirt Embedded Paint

Here's an example of what dirty paint looks like, note how where Marius has been machine polishing the green paint is now a lighter, brighter color of green while the un-touched paint has a darker, cloudier look to it.

Here's Marius showing Brandon how use the Porter Cable with Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish to "carefully" clean and polish the original paint after we first rubbed the paint down with #7

I used MS Paint to draw a line around the section to make it easy to see the before and after difference where Marius has buffed and where the original dirty paint remains. This is an example of DIP or Dirt in Paint also called,

• Dirt Staining
    • Dirt Embedded Paint
    • Stained Paint

Here's the picture, not the difference in the color of green on either side of the black line...

I have an article about it here,

How to remove stains and embedded dirt out of paint

And just by coincidence, my new friend Mike Searle brought his 1955 Chevy Sedan Delivery by today and his paint has a dirt embedding stain throughout the entire finish...

1955 Chevy Sedan Delivery - Upcoming Thursday Project

I cover the topic of dirty paint and how to fix it in this article I wrote way back around 1997... the forum you're reading right now is called vBulletin and it went commercial in 2002. So I wrote this before this software was even invented... LOL

The Lesson White Paint Teaches Us

The big picture is this, as your car is driven and parked outside, over time the paint itself gets dirty and the dirt that builds up can and will cloud your view of the true color of the paint.

Periodically you need to use something that will "clean" the paint. This can includes a product as simple as a one-step cleaner/wax or any of the various paint cleaners, pre-wax cleaners, polishes or compounds available today.

Of course, always use the least aggressive product to get the job done as this will fix the problem while leaving the most paint on the car to last over the service life of the car.

2. Thanks AKT thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Dirt in Paint or DIP - Stained Paint - Dirt Embedded Paint

And the car Marius and Brandon are working on is the same one in this article...

Wayne Carini 1954 Hudson Hornet Original Paint Restored by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for another great thread Mike!

My question is what to do when you have embedded dirt in your glossy white vinyl stripes?

Claying has not helped me :/
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    Thanks for another great thread Mike!

My question is what to do when you have embedded dirt in your glossy white vinyl stripes?

Claying has not helped me :/

Don't buy cars with vinyl stripes?

Seriously, if the vinyl is stained, you can try non-abrasive cleaning product to try to clean it. Even something like the Mr Clean Erasure might work? I non-abrasive cleaner/wax or pre-wax cleaner softy applied by hand with a clean foam applicator pad and a light touch?

That's why I've always like cars like Steve's 1969 Camaro. Steve did it right when he PAID extra to have the orange stripes painted UNDER the clear. No detailing problems, no vinyl graphics to mess with...

1969 Camaro Pace Car - Show Car Makeover - Modeled by Michelle

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Roshan...

Since the stripes are "glossy":

-Spray some of the below product on a soft cloth (work up to a gentle brush if necessary)...
    (As always: Avoid "going-against-the-edge"...to prevent possible 'lift-up'.)

-Apply a layer/coat (or more) of your favorite wax/sealant afterwards.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Don't buy cars with vinyl stripes?

Seriously, if the vinyl is stained, you can try non-abrasive cleaning product to try to clean it. Even something like the Mr Clean Erasure might work? I non-abrasive cleaner/wax or pre-wax cleaner softy applied by hand with a clean foam applicator pad and a light touch?
    Thanks I'll try a non abrasive cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Steve did it right when he PAID extra to have the orange stripes painted UNDER the clear. No detailing problems, no vinyl graphics to mess with...

Not everybody's got that kind of money Maybe in a few years...
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Hi Roshan...

Since the stripes are "glossy":

-Spray some of the below product on a soft cloth (work up to a gentle brush if necessary)...
    (As always: Avoid "going-against-the-edge"...to prevent possible 'lift-up'.)

-Apply a layer/coat (or more) of your favorite wax/sealant afterwards.

Bob
    How does carpet cleaner clean vinyl? Not that I doubt you, but I'm asking from a more scientific perspective (since I know you got that kind of knowledge ).

Post Thanks / Like

How does carpet cleaner clean vinyl? Not that I doubt you, but I'm asking from a more scientific perspective (since I know you got that kind of knowledge ).
    I don't have this Mother's Carpet & Upholstery All-fabric Cleaner's MSDS in front of me...
    But let me just say that it has "cleaning-chemicals" (per its product description) that are:

"tough enough to pull out the stubborn stains and marks that mar your vinyl,
    velour, cloth, carpet and sheepskin. It is pH balanced and environmentally safe".

I've been using it to clean "glossy"-vinyl...even wax-stained vinyl-trim...since ~ 2007.
    Before that: Different Vinyl-flooring cleaners.

Of course...YMMV.

Always:
    "Test Spot"<<<(M.P.)

And you can, if you so desire:
    PM Forrest@Mother's

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post

I've been using it to clean "glossy"-vinyl...even wax-stained vinyl-trim...since ~ 2007.
    Before that: Different Vinyl-flooring cleaners.

Of course...YMMV.

Always:
    "Test Spot"<<<(M.P.)

Bob

Hey if it works for Bob then that's a pretty good indicator it will work for you. My guess is when Mothers states it's good for cleaning vinyl that they mean interior vinyl not graphics but somehow or another all these plastics must belong to some kind of chemical family.

Here's a tip... you can always try diluting it a little with some water for our testing purposes. Take the safest route and then advance if you see good results and your confidence in the solution, (no pun intended), increases.

Post Thanks / Like

nice.
    Scuto Indonesia
    now available in 18 cities near you.
    www.scuto.co.id

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast