autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business

Wash-n-waxs? Based off what Mike is saying, a 1 step process consisted of a Wash Clay and Wax, but when I view peoples services and pricing they state Wash and Wax but most dont clay. With that being said, should someone who prices a wash and wax ranging from 30-60 dollars add the clay in making that WnW now 50-80 dollars or just having clay as an additional price of 20 dollars or so and upsell the customer explaining what the clay does? Mind you I am in no way making any kind of money, just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

I must say i particularly liked the part about keeping things simple with 4 plans

• Simple Car Wash - Wash and dry car. (Up-sell dressing tires, cleaning inside of windows)

• Interior Detail

• Exterior Detail

• Interior and Exterior Package

I can't tell you how rediculous it seems to me when looking at some price lists & all i see is a wall of text:

Product Price
    Product Price
    Product Price
    Product Price
    Product Price
    Product Price
    Product Price
    Product Price
    Product Price
    Product Price

And then there's the extras!
    How confusing it must be to prospective clients when all they really want is the car washed, cleaned inside & some shiny tyres.
    Yet somehow our industry makes it a mathematical dynasty to figure out something that 'rainman' would have nightmares over understanding.
    No doubt there are many different 'things' to touch and do in a detail, but i don't think our customers care or want to know every little thing and how much extra it is to do it.
    My philosophy is to do it all and here's the price for that.
    I think it degrades the the industry when you get down to 'interior detail' - but then have to explain what that is with a list of 55 things.

I could write a massive rant about this topic alone.
    I'm glad Mike came out and said it.
    Take his advice

3. Likes dmiracle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

what product would be good for a 1-step interior vinyl cleaner/conditioner?
    right now, I use apc+ for wipe down and dress the dash with DP interior dressing.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 604_Snooze View Post
    what product would be good for a 1-step interior vinyl cleaner/conditioner?
    right now, I use apc+ for wipe down and dress the dash with DP interior dressing.

Any of the brand name products you see talked about here that offer a one-step cleaner/and conditioner will work.

Just about every company has a product that is a one-step cleaner conditioner. IF they don't they they offer a two step approach of a dedicated cleaner and a dedicated protectant.

Check out this page there's lots of products to choose from

Vinyl Cleaning and Protecting products

Post Thanks / Like

I know its an older article but this was super helpful. I just did a 2013 GT500 Mustang with 300 miles on the clock, all swirled and scratched already for a "friend". I broke my back getting the swirls out, polishing, sealing, waxing and he came to pick it up and didn't nearly notice or appreciate the work. I realized just then, to explain the processes and options, and if they say "just throw wax on it" .... do it and be happy.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by The Moose View Post

I broke my back getting the swirls out, polishing, sealing, waxing and he came to pick it up and didn't nearly notice or appreciate the work.

Kind of disheartening huh? Been there, done that...

Quote Originally Posted by The Moose View Post

I realized just then, to explain the processes and options, and if they say "just throw wax on it" .... do it and be happy.

Some people look at there car as merely transportation... it's up to us to evaluate our customer and then do the right thing but also the best thing for all parties involved.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Been reading this thread and being a boater and detailed my own and others boats various times I've decided to explore the boat detailing business part time. I have another business of 10 years so don't need the administrative advice. What can you suggest from a sales point and service point of view and anything else helpful. Thanks !!

Post Thanks / Like

IT's probably the best expert business advice I've seen. My most common problem is where you explain we try to get show car results for the average joe who just wants a basic upgrade in a few hours. I can very easy get lost on a car for 8+ hours and I know people don't want to pay hundreds for my time. It's why our prices have to compete with the fast food car washes of today! I am definitely the student here. THanks for the teaching....lesson learned

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! That hit me right on the nose. I was trying to make everyones car a show car, spending hours & days, just to have them run to a car wash or take it in to trade in for a new vehicle. Will be changing my approach this year. Thanks Mike.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast