autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business

Quote Originally Posted by AK1015 View Post

so I was wondering if you could give me any guidance on maybe where i could purchase some used equipment, also so recommendations on equipment, tools, products that i should have to get started. Due to economy, just trying keep it on the lowest budget i possibly can. Thanks
    Check your local Craigslist and even classifieds...

The equipment you need depends upon what you want to do, to start out keep it simple, make sure you can and want to do this for a business before you start adding pressure washers, water tanks, extractors, steam cleaners, etc.

Start with the basics,

• Wash
    • Clay
    • Wax
    • Clean Windows
    • Dress Tires
    • Dress interior vinyl and leather

Once you get all of the above down to where you're making a profit then start looking into other services to add...

Quote Originally Posted by nesto View Post
    As a beginner wanting to start detailing part time I have a couple questions. Trying to save some money, so I want to buy in bulk and I was thinking Meguiar's Detail line. I was planning to buy the X-press liquid wax and for that need more work, D151 then the X-press wax.
    Meguiar's Detailer Line is a low cost way to get what you need to keep it simple but still do good work.

Quote Originally Posted by nesto View Post
    Second question, is there a different process for single stage and cleared finishes? I'm trying to save money and time, I want to do a wash clay and wax. But there have been some single stage jobs that I've done that need serious cleaning and polishing before waxing. And of course those easier clear coat finishes that just need to be clayed then cleaner wax or just wax. (sorry for rambling sometimes i just keep going) Thanks in advance for any help and or feed back.
    Generally speaking, single stage paints are softer than most clear coats and so it's easier to remove defects out of them. Because the paint oxidizes, it's messier because you're going to have lots of dead paint coming off so you'll need to clean your pads more often.

Keep in mind when you abrade a clear coat finish you have clear paint coming off that needs to be cleaned, it's just that you cannot see it because it's clear.

See these two articles,

Why it's important to clean your pads often...

The practical differences between single stage paints and a clear coat paints

Also, it's a good idea to start your own thread for topics like asked above versus tagging them onto an article. You'll get more attention by a wider spectrum of people...

2. Likes RiverDog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good info indeed. I never would have thought of the one step process or the difference between swirl and squirrel.
    WolfGang it!

Post Thanks / Like

Great information to anyone considering making a go of detailing on the side. Reading your articles makes one have just about all he/she needs to start from the ground up. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed this article Mike. Very insightful. When i decided to start up, I sat for quite some time trying to work up the packages to offer to customers I think I did find a happy medium to offer the daily driver with just enough "extra" in it to upsell certain items. The one thing thing that I am adding to each detail as my final step ( and kind of a message to the customer that I care about their long term satisfaction ) is a one page "tips" sheet explaining very easy ways to maintain their clean vehicle between services.Naturally I attached a business card to the list. The first customer I detailed immediately commented on it and asked more questions about a full detail. Took me all of about 10 minutes to come up with the tips and it may have already made a difference.

6. Likes RiverDog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am very interested in starting a part time detailing business, But what kind of insurance do you get or buy ? any advice will help.
    I will be detailing vehicles and yachts.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike
    Nice article. Will help a lot in my part time detailing business. After some experience I am going to convert it in full time business.

Post Thanks / Like

Need help....

I started a business Friday as a DBA... paid the 20bucks with the state got a EIN with the IRS got a Bank account.... My question at hand is should i have done an LLC instead. Should i call the state tomorrow and change this? Please need advise...will i be fine with doing business as?!

thanks

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Another awesome post! There are very few detail shops in my area but the one that are here all do hack jobs! And when i say hack jobs i mean...removing wax with a rotary buffer and a bone dry wool pad on 5-6000 rpms! Talk about hologram/swirl city! So ive always made it a point to go above and beyond but after reading this post i think im going too far! I am doing show quality work for production prices! Time to sit down at the drawing table..thanks mike

Post Thanks / Like

I have been detailing for about 2 years now (production detailing). One thing I do is take a little time to know the customer and how the feel about their car. I don't offer multi-step to a soccer mom who only wants her van cleaned up. Most of my customers just want a clean car. I have a meeting today that could land me a contract with a local limosine service that will involve simple cleanup on the taxi's he owns, but full detailing with swirl removal on the limo's. I'm another on that explains to the customer what I do and the benefits of each step and how to maintain between detailings. I'm attempting a move into the higher end market in my area (small college town).

Post Thanks / Like

Disregard what i said about show quality jobs, i shouldnt call it that! But im doing multiple steps on cars that are daily drivers but im obviously not charging enough! Beings im doing this part time i wasnt to worried about making a ton of money, but now that im looking into going full time i need to make some changes after spending hours learning from this site!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast