autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Sorry to say but the answer is "no" and that's not because we don't want to accept the funding from a GI Bill but it's OUR Government that has created multiple multiple layers of bureaucracy to comply with before we or ANY type of school can accept the GI Bill funding.

That said, Bob McKee is and has always been very supportive of our men and women in the military. So while our government makes it pretty much impossible for Autogeek, a private sector business to help you, Bob will still help you by offering your our class with a military discount provision.

In the past when we have had someone ask us this question, because the government makes it difficult if not impossible to accept funding from the GI Bill that most people that ask are or were hoping to be able use this option to avoid any or most out-of-pocket expense. Then when this proves to not be the case there's less interest.

If you truly want to attend one of our last two classes for 2016, that's the class in May or the class in September, then give Andre a call at 1-800-869-3011 x244 and he will let you know what Autogeek can do to support your interest in taking one of our classes.

I personally would love to have you attend a future class.

mike, im sure you get a million of them but PM coming your way

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm very green as to starting up a part-time car detailing business. Hoping you guy's can help me with this (provide a link if it's easier.) If I were to start doing this at my home, is it best to have customer drop their vehicle off at my house? Drive my personal vehicle to their location, drive their vehicle back to my house and return when finished (valet car detailing)? Just looking for best option(s). Thank you in advance for any information. Just trying to get input from the experts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyashley79 View Post
    I'm very green as to starting up a part-time car detailing business. Hoping you guy's can help me with this (provide a link if it's easier.) If I were to start doing this at my home, is it best to have customer drop their vehicle off at my house? Drive my personal vehicle to their location, drive their vehicle back to my house and return when finished (valet car detailing)? Just looking for best option(s). Thank you in advance for any information. Just trying to get input from the experts.
    Most zoning laws in towns do not allow for detailing services to be performed at your residence.

Driving the customer's vehicle is not a good idea, IMO. If you wreck it, their insurance takes a hit. If you damage it in your driveway, your insurance will not cover it.

I perform services at the CUSTOMER'S property.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    Most zoning laws in towns do not allow for detailing services to be performed at your residence.

Driving the customer's vehicle is not a good idea, IMO. If you wreck it, their insurance takes a hit. If you damage it in your driveway, your insurance will not cover it.

I perform services at the CUSTOMER'S property.
    So taking your personal pressure washer and using their water? Just making sure I got my ducks in a row. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

You really need to see what your city/county rules are. What your insurance will cover and what they won't. Remember some places like OHA might have rules and restrictions as well

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rod73 View Post
    Interesting. It seriously takes me about 4 hours to clay a car. Now I do make an extra pass sometimes to double check my work, not wanting to forget any contaminants, but my technique probably needs work.

Have you tried a rinseless wash with clay and lsp in the mix, this allows you to work one panel at a time making it less for possible spots missed.

Post Thanks / Like

If I was doing it part time I probably wouldn't do any polishing, a good old waxing,decon,clay.. and have them come back to me in 3 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread - lots of good info

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ELEVATED View Post

Great thread - lots of good info

Thank you.

It's important for all detailers to rein in their passion at times and do what's profitable and right.

Mike Phillips

***Bump***

I met a detailer struggling to make good money. He says he spends too much time on each car he details.

I asked him to show me his detailing packages...

Guess what... he doesn't have packages. He has ONE package and this is why his customers are able to take advantage of him and this is why he's not making good money.

If you don't have a copy of my VIF in either the paper or the electronic versions, then get it and create your packages and then

Match your services to your customer.

Let you customer decide which package fits their budget and then do what you promise in the time you promise it and then after that STOP.

Quit working for free, quit giving yourself away....

Paper version

Mike Phillips VIF or Vehicle Inspection Form

Electronic version

Click here to download the VIF App

Video showing you how to use the electronic version but also works to show you how to use the paper version too...

Video - How to use the VIF App - The Auto-Spec-Tor

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast