autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Still not rotating

I read the whole thread and took every suggestion: Lake Country thin 5.5" flat pads, Meguiar's 5" Microfiber Discs and a new Meguiar's backing plate. Also made sure my technique was OK. I am still not getting the rotation that some folks seem to be getting out of their first gen Porter Cable 7424's. The pad will stop rotating under moderate pressure, but the machine is neither bogging down nor slowing down.

Think I should upgrade to an XP? Are you sure that I'd get better rotation of the new machine? It seems to me that as long as the old machine is not slowing down, I should be getting rotation.

I only detail two well maintained white trucks and two black Harleys. Most of the time ColorX will remove any marring that has occurred.

I already have a Makita 9727 rotary buffer but haven't used it for five years. No reason for any serious buffing and besides that I am still not all that comfortable using it. Shoot....I think I have forgotten how. Last thing I used it on was the badly oxidized gelcoat on my daughter's sailboat. Gotta love that wool pad.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to MAXIMIZE your DA Polisher

Hi Mike, can you help me of how I can use this pads with my DA Polisher from UK is like the Griot's Garage 6 inch

6" Wool / Foam Interlayer Heavy Cutting Pad - V2 - www.CarPro-US.com

6" Cool Pad Hybrid - Microfiber/Wool - www.CarPro-US.com

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Not to bump an old thread, but I too just found this...

I have the original Porter Cable 7424 and love it... I was thinking of giving it to my friend (or he at least wants to buy it from me) and was thinking about picting up the 7424XP but really is the only difference slightly higher RPM's and .5 amp more power? I too have noticed that sometimes the rotation stops in one direction but it's still spinning, I think I've just gotten used to it and use less pressure... but honestly never had a problem with it.

I'd prefer not to spend $300 for a new polisher because I do this only on our cars 3 plus motorcycle and it's done very good... I love it actually.

Just wondering how much of a difference there really is between the 7424 and the XP version...

Thanks,
    -Nigel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy View Post
    Not to bump an old thread, but I too just found this...

I have the original Porter Cable 7424 and love it... I was thinking of giving it to my friend (or he at least wants to buy it from me) and was thinking about picting up the 7424XP but really is the only difference slightly higher RPM's and .5 amp more power? I too have noticed that sometimes the rotation stops in one direction but it's still spinning, I think I've just gotten used to it and use less pressure... but honestly never had a problem with it.

I'd prefer not to spend $300 for a new polisher because I do this only on our cars 3 plus motorcycle and it's done very good... I love it actually.

Just wondering how much of a difference there really is between the 7424 and the XP version...

Thanks,
    -Nigel
    Get the Griots polisher. Night and day power versus the Porter Cable. I have the XP model PC just picked up the griots

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ElGaby View Post

Hi Mike, can you help me of how I can use this pads with my DA Polisher from UK is like the Griot's Garage 6 inch

6" Wool / Foam Interlayer Heavy Cutting Pad - V2 - www.CarPro-US.com

6" Cool Pad Hybrid - Microfiber/Wool - www.CarPro-US.com

Thanks!

Great questions but I'll move your post to create your own thread as that would work better than tagging your questions that really deserve some in-depth information onto htis thread.

Make sense?

How to start a new thread & How to reply to an existing thread

How to write a good title for your thread

A tip to help yourself get great answers when you start a thread

Quote Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy View Post

Thanks,
    -Nigel

Hi Nigel,

First, I've been using the first Porter Cable DA Polisher to polish paint since they were introduced. Not as long as a few but longer than most still breathing air today.

The below picture is from a pad in my antique wax collection, the information is first hand as in I was there doing it.

The history behind polishing paint with a DA Polisher

While you'll find some guys on the forum that will like to argue that the XP has the same power as the first generation 7424 and 7336 models, all I know is from first hand experience, the XP version does a better job of maintaining pad rotation under pressure.

I like the Porter Cable version because it's built really well, you can driver over it with your car, pick ti up and keep using it.

The Griot's does have the most actual power as most people state.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike for answering my question. I love my orginal pc7424, and when I bought it from yall I was amazed at what it did to my paint... I still use it now and really don't have any issues with it. I'm thinking abuot getting 5.5 pads as recommended here, when I bought the kit it came with 6.5 ccs pads and honestly can't really complain. I've noticed some spinning that has stopped but I attribute that to me pushing to hard, so now really I just use the weight of the machine rather than me pushing on it... I just wasn't sure if it was worth it to spend $120 for the same machine with a little more power or perhaps just try a new DA polisher... then again, this is for personal use only, of my cars, wife's and my motorcyles... Not getting paid to do it and it does take me a few days to completely finish the car but I don't mind that honestly... it's a relaxing feeling in a way.

Hard decisions to make...lol I guess I should look at it as if it's still working just as it did and I have no issues it might not be worth it to buy another machine just to do the same job I am doing now in a way...lol

:-)

-Nigel

Post Thanks / Like

Are the new GG DA's made in China? My new 7424XP was made in Mexico. Because of the low power I am thinking of dedicating my PCXP to smaller plates and pads. I have been ponderin on gettin a GG 6", but not sure of the quality of tools made in China. Any suggestion? (great thread by the way)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyace_121 View Post
    Are the new GG DA's made in China? I have been ponderin on gettin a GG 6", but not sure of the quality of tools made in China. Any suggestion? (great thread by the way)
    Yes, the Griots is made in China...and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...pretty impressive. I am really undecided in my head about my next polisher, but I have narrowed it down to three..the Flex3401...the Rupes Duetto, or the GG 6". Thanks for the response.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyace_121 View Post
    I am really undecided in my head about my next polisher, but I have narrowed it down to three..the Flex3401...the Rupes Duetto, or the GG 6".
    I was looking for my first DA not long ago. They are all reportedly good machines. I also considered the Rupes LHR 15 ES. I went with the Duetto and the entire Rupes system, based on the enthusiastic recommendations of some very fine detailers. While I have nothing to compare it to, I am extremely pleased with the Rupes products. I know I could get the same results with the GG, but I enjoy using the best tools. The Duetto is a great tool.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast