autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

How to use a hand applied abrasive polish or paint cleaner by hand

How to use a hand applied abrasive polish or paint cleaner by hand

• Always work clean

• Use a clean, soft foam applicator pad, I really like these,

CCS Red Wax/Sealant Applicator Pads 2 Pack

Because they are fairly thick so the spread out the pressure of your fingers better than thinner versions.

(I like thinner versions for applying finishing waxes and sealants because then I'm not pushing hard so don't need the thickness).

• Work on a cool surface in the shade

• Work a small area at a time, about 8" to 10" squarish or so...

• Use an "ample" amount of product, don't under-use and don't overuse to the point that you hyper-lubricate the surface but use enough to keep the surface lubricated throughout the process. I would use a teaspoon to a tablespoon of product, usually a tablespoon's amount to start with because your pad is dry when you start and some of the product is going to go into the pad, and after breaking in your pad then cut down to about a teaspoon's amount of product.

• Hold your hand flat to the pad, not vertical, the idea is to not put pressure ONLY on your fingertips but over the face of your fingers to avoid Fingermarks

• Spread the product out over the area you're going to work

• Work the product for about a minute, don't work till the product is dry, but it should go from an opaque film to a clear film

• Wipe off before residue dries

• When you move on to a new area overlap a little into the previous area
    Before going over an entire panel or an entire car, first do a "Test Spot" and make sure you're getting the results you want and hope for. If you can't make one small area look good with your choice of product, pad and "your technique" then you'll be glad you only worked on a small section to start with or to test and not went over the entire panel or car.

When working on clear coats by hand to actually "remove" defects, technique is just as important as your choice of product and pad, (pad = application material).

So do a Test Spot first.

Also, read the manufactures directions and follow them as the above is just a general guideline. The manufacture always knows their products best.

Paint Cleaners at Autogeek.net
    Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion
    Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer
    3M Scratch Remover
    Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite Cleaner Glaze
    Dodo Juice Lime Prime Pre-Wax Cleanser Polish
    Duragloss PreCleaner
    1Z Einszett Paint Polish
    Four Star Ultimate PreWax Cleanser
    Griot's Garage Fine Hand Polish
    Liquid Glass Pre-Cleaner
    Meguiars SCRATCH X 2.0
    Meguiars SwirlX Swirl Remover
    Mothers California Gold Pre-Wax Cleaner
    Mothers California Gold Scratch Remover
    P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser
    Poorboy's World Professional Polish
    SONAX Premium Class Paint Cleaner
    SONAX Paint Cleaner

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use a hand applied abrasive polish or paint cleaner by hand

Just wondering, but how does these CCS Red Wax/Sealant Applicator Pads compare to the Meguair's Applicator Pad as in the ones that come in the Meguiars Mirror Glaze #26 Hi-Tech Paste Car Wax in terms or ease of usage and also cut-level?

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Polishing Pal and a 4-in foam pad.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by GRexer View Post

Just wondering, but how does these CCS Red Wax/Sealant Applicator Pads compare to the Meguiar's Applicator Pad as in the ones that come in the Meguiars Mirror Glaze #26 Hi-Tech Paste Car Wax in terms or ease of usage and also cut-level?

The primary difference is how much thicker the red CCS pads are compared to the Meguiar's pads. I think I pointed out this extra thickness helps to spread out the pressure from your fingers and that IS the benefit.

As for cut and ease of use, both are the same in ease of use and "cut" doesn't really apply as they are both very soft and gentle to the paint. The cut will come from you and the passion you put behind the pad and your choice of product.

Put a little passion behind the pad - Mike Phillips

Also you don't have to use the CCS side, you can use the flat side.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the education, Mike, it certainly gives me some more confidence in trying to rid the spot on my own. I guess my greatest fear is that by applying too much pressure, I would change the reflective characteristics or cause a "dimpling" in the finish of the treated spot such that it would easily stand out from the rest of the hood. Furthermore, even though I am handy and careful, but have never done work like this, do you think it is still a DIY project that won't make things worse?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post

Thanks for the education, Mike, it certainly gives me some more confidence in trying to rid the spot on my own. I guess my greatest fear is that by applying too much pressure, I would change the reflective characteristics or cause a "dimpling" in the finish of the treated spot such that it would easily stand out from the rest of the hood.
    I think it would be hard to do this on a clearcoated finish but maybe on a single stage metallic finish if you rubbed too much in one area.

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post

Furthermore, even though I am handy and careful, but have never done work like this, do you think it is still a DIY project that won't make things worse?

I think working on paint by hand requires more skill, experience muscle and technique than most people possess.

I think it's a LOT easier to do anything to a clearcoated finish by machine than by hand.

I've taught a lot of people in my life how to work with their hands to remove swirls and scratches and after showing people how to work by hand the most common comment I would here went like this,

That's not how I was doing it...

And the person that would say the above was also a person struggling toe remove swirls and scratches. Then when they see a simple dual action polisher used to do the same job without any real skill, muscle, talent, experience etc. they would always want to buy the polisher and heck with working by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

God bless whoever bumped this thread, I do a lot of work by hand to complete my machine polishing process, and this method reassures and give new ideas to what I'm already doing.

Thanks a bunch!

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    God bless whoever bumped this thread, I do a lot of work by hand to complete my machine polishing process, and this method reassures and give new ideas to what I'm already doing.

Thanks a bunch!

Kind Regards.
    It's important to be skilled in both hand polishing and machine polishing to be able to tackle anything that pulls into your garage.