autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Dampsanding Tools, Tips and Techniques by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by HotRodJoe View Post

What should be next step - TSR on my DA

or Menzerna 4500 on Rotary then final polish with DA or ???

Either one of those methods should work, chances are very good the TSR on a DA with a Polishing pad will remove any swirls left by the rotary step regardless of whether anyone could see any without first chemically stripping the paint.

The Menz SF4500 with a rotary buffer is pretty light but again, any swirls left by the Rotary Buffer and SI 1500 with a foam cutting pad would be shallow too...

If it were me, I would opt for the TSR with the DA and a foam polishing pad.

Is this fresh paint you're working on or factory paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Mike thanks for the feedback and it really is because of your coverage of this subject that I finally made the jump and decided I could/should do this.

My paint is about 3 yrs old and is a very soft clear on a show car. It atill sands like fresh paint in my opinion. My only concern at this point is that I should have bought some 1500 discs because the 3000 didn't correct everything. So Ive had to spot wet sand with 1500 and then dampsand 3000 to get what I want. That still may prove a safer approach, definitely cheaper. But I wanted to sneak up on it until I got a feel for how much material I was removing with the dampsander. In the end, although slurry was thick, the 3000 was pretty tame.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by HotRodJoe View Post

In the end, although slurry was thick, the 3000 was pretty tame.
    Yes, the foam backed #3000 is very non-aggressive and even more so with an interface pad.

If a person is new to wetsanding by hand or by machine it doesn't hurt to start out using the finer grits to get a feel for the process and as your comfort level increases to drop down in aggressiveness.

The biggest and most important factor when it comes to safely wetsanding is film-build or paint thickness. I'm in the camp that believes more paint is better. This reminds me I have an article on this topic to finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Damp-Sanding Tools, Tips and Techniques by Mike Phillips

Are the blue towels to protect the windshield available on AG? I see they have the logo but can't find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Thanks for the kind words... polishing paint in all its dimensions is my passion, sharing with others how to do the same is my other passion...

Here's one of my favorite tools now... it makes machine sanding small defects fast and easy...

Dampsanding with 3" Griot's Garage Mini Polisher

Mike Phillips

Re: Damp-Sanding Tools, Tips and Techniques by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Calibmw23 View Post
    Are the blue towels to protect the windshield available on AG? I see they have the logo but can't find them.

They were available but my guess is they were not popular enough to continue carrying them. They were brought in after I shared my tip called,

The Beach Towel Tip

I've always used normal beach towels because they're long enough to cover all windshields I've ever worked on. I go into depth in the above article.

About two years ago I found this Pirate Beach Towel and I LIKE using it the most because,

A. It fits the culture of South Florida

B. It matches the flag on my truck

C. It is a "Landscape" style picture whereas most Beach Towels have a "Portrait" style picture so they don't make sense when you lay them out landscape style.

Like you'll see below...

Landscape Style makes sense, like this,

Portrait Style

The Palm Trees are sideways?

I still have some and because they are microfiber and thus soft they won't scratch, kind of important on things like this Blown Hemi Engine...

Blown 1934 Ford Pick-up - Show Car Makeover - Modeled by Kristin

Next we cover-up all the brightwork and there's lots of it. Take my word for it, when it comes to projects like this you don't dare get polish spatter dots on the engine or in this example the exposed running gear in the truck bed. It's not professional and besides that it would take you hours to wipe the little dots of polish splatter off.

The Autogeek Cover-up Towel is made from soft microfiber and can be washed and re-used. This come in real handy for covering up anything you don't want to get compound or polish splatter dots onto so you won't have to detail these areas with a toothbrush after the the wax has been removed.

The soft microfiber won't scratch paint or polished metals. Simple cover or wrap around components and then use a little painter's tape to secure them in place.

Here we've covered the polished aluminum gas tank and the chrome independent rear-end...

Kristin inspects our work using the Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light...

Pirate Flag...

Too much fun...

Mike Phillips

***Bump***

Lot of members have joined since I wrote this article. If a new forum member doesn't now where to look it can be hard to find.

If you're interested in wetsanding by machine give this thread a read-through...

It will be a good primer for my next article on this topic.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

which speed of a GG6 should i use for dampsanding with 3000 grit ?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Pumaeu View Post
    which speed of a GG6 should i use for dampsanding with 3000 grit ?
    You want to see the backing pad/sanding disc rotating no matter what, so adjust your speed accordingly but I would try the 4-5 setting. The 6 setting, at least for me is too fast.

Also, I would highly recommend using the foam interface between the backing plate and your sanding disc, you'll experience a lot smoother sanding action.

What are you working on?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    You want to see the backing pad/sanding disc rotating no matter what, so adjust your speed accordingly but I would try the 4-5 setting. The 6 setting, at least for me is too fast.

Also, I would highly recommend using the foam interface between the backing plate and your sanding disc, you'll experience a lot smoother sanding action.

What are you working on?

Thanks for the reply Mike. Ill try with the trizact 3M sanding discs as those are the only available here in Guatemala. and i 'll have to wait a bit to save more $ for my next order. I have a trunk and a hood from a toyota to practice, as the paint is really sof and thin i think it will be a good practice.

My current detailing project is a 2004 Seat Leon. it is yellow and it has been repainted with PPG Global system.

The roof will be a big challange it has just 2 coats of clear, and tons of orange peel and dust, it was repainted in a hurry as was not planned to be painted i dont care if i broke through the clear as it still will be refinish with other color. so i think it will be a good experience, still i'll be really careful with it.

i'm traveling to taiwan, so i'll post pictures the next month hopefully.

I was afraid that the GG6 was to aggressive to damp sand my car! thanks for the clarification!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Pumaeu View Post

i'm traveling to taiwan, so i'll post pictures the next month hopefully.

I was afraid that the GG6 was to aggressive to damp sand my car! thanks for the clarification!

I'm already looking forward to your pictures!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast