autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

I'm just here to give a huge THANK YOU for this incredible write up. As a beginner, I learned so much.

Loving this forum!

Mike Phillips

Re: The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Quote Originally Posted by Eric7810 View Post

I'm just here to give a huge THANK YOU for this incredible write up. As a beginner, I learned so much.

Loving this forum!

Why thank you!

And I just replied to your question here using information from the first page of this thread.

Can center caps be corrected?

Post Thanks / Like

Would this technique work on aircraft paint to remove oxidation? Also could you do an ipa wipe after the polishing step, then apply a coating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy5431 View Post

Would this technique work on aircraft paint to remove oxidation?
    Yes but - I would only do this treatment if the paint on the aircraft were ANTIQUE.

If it's a modern aircraft that simply has oxidized single stage paint then get a good one-step cleaner/wax like BLACKFIRE One Step, some foam pads and an orbital polisher and go to town.

Also - if it's chalky white paint - consider using the "Cheater Technique" I use to know down the loose dead paint during the wash job and then hit it with the BLACKFIRE One Step. That's what we did with the original single stage paint on this classic Cadillac.

The COMET Technique by Mike Phillips - 1965 Cadillac - Original Single Stage Paint - Slam job by Mike Phillips

BEFORE

AFTER

Also could you do an ipa wipe after the polishing step, then apply a coating?
    The short answer is, "yes" but there are caveats, see what I wrote here,

Can you apply a ceramic coating to old school single stage lacquer paint?

What are you working on?

Post Thanks / Like

What are you working on?

There are a couple of planes. I was asking about #7 as a more general question.

Both plans are very well cared for without oxidation.

The first is an extra 300 L that has light swirls. I’m thinking my new RUPES 15 m3 with a white pad and ultra fine polish should do the trick.

The other one is a bit more “fun” it’s a P51 Mustang that is polished aluminum.

This belongs to a friend of mine. We polished it a long time ago by hand. I have to think that there is s better way. I’m wondering if my RUPES DA would be a good choice or if I should look at the 3401 or a rotary?

This is a bit off topic so feel free to move to a new thread

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

This belongs to a friend of mine. We polished it a long time ago by hand. I have to think that there is s better way.

I’m wondering if my RUPES DA would be a good choice or if I should look at the 3401 or a rotary?

This is a bit off topic so feel free to move to a new thread

First - those planes are SWEEEEET!

Second - I think the RUPES would be a good choice or any free spinning orbital. With painted planes you have rivits and high edges from overlapping aluminum panels and these two things, because they stick up tend to get the paint burned off. So you want to stick with the more gentle tools i.e. free spinning orbitals.

Most of the RUPES tools are free spinning except their rotary and the Mille.

I would thing a RUPES 15 or 21 would be fine.

I think and even simpler Porter Cable - 8mm free spinning would do the job too....

I'd highly take a look at the BLACKFIRE One Step as an option. Very nice one-step cleaner/sealant that also wipes of super easy. When detailing LARGE things you normally want to knock it out in one step and for sure want a product that does NOT micro-mar the paint and wipes off easy.

I talk a LOT about abrasive technology in my detailing classes and on this forum because it's IMPORTANT. I wrote this article yesterday after testing two different AIOs or cleaner/waxes. They don't use good abrasive technology.

Pictures of Micro-Marring - DA Haze - Tick Marks - Compounds - Polishes - AIOs - Clearcoat Paints

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    First - those planes are SWEEEEET!

Second - I think the RUPES would be a good choice or any free spinning orbital. With painted planes you have rivits and high edges from overlapping aluminum panels and these two things, because they stick up tend to get the paint burned off. So you want to stick with the more gentle tools i.e. free spinning orbitals.

Most of the RUPES tools are free spinning except their rotary and the Mille.

I would thing a RUPES 15 or 21 would be fine.

I think and even simpler Porter Cable - 8mm free spinning would do the job too....

I'd highly take a look at the BLACKFIRE One Step as an option. Very nice one-step cleaner/sealant that also wipes of super easy. When detailing LARGE things you normally want to knock it out in one step and for sure want a product that does NOT micro-mar the paint and wipes off easy.

I talk a LOT about abrasive technology in my detailing classes and on this forum because it's IMPORTANT. I wrote this article yesterday after testing two different AIOs or cleaner/waxes. They don't use good abrasive technology.

Pictures of Micro-Marring - DA Haze - Tick Marks - Compounds - Polishes - AIOs - Clearcoat Paints

Hey Mike
    Looks like the link didn’t work

Luckily I do have a porter cable as well! What metal polish would you recommend that can be applied by machine?

My friend has a World War II aircraft museum up here in Minnesota. Here’s a few more from their collection

If your ever up in Minnesota, let me know and I might be able to get you in one

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I seeing a P-51, and a B-25 there, Jeremy?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Am I seeing a P-51, and a B-25 there, Jeremy?
    Yes there are two P51s and a p-38 lightning, a few P-40s, a wildcat and a Corsair. That’s not the whole list either.

Also they purchased a German rail box car that was used move prisoners and brought it to the museum.

12. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829303132 LastLast