autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132
    Mike Phillips

Re: The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked61 View Post

Here is a single stage transformation years back.

Wow! Huge transformation.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Hi Mike,

Just now I'm working on my Dodge Wayfarer Business Coupe '49. Original paint with a lot of patina and thin layers on several spots.
    It has always been hard to keep the paint clean between waxes, especially on the spots where the paint is almost down to bare metal.
    Rust seems to gather rather fast on these exposed surfaces.

So far I have used Iron Decon from Meguiars to remove the worst of the surface rust. Spraying on to a microfiber towel and applying one layer at a time. Wiping on and wiping off.
    Next on claying the whole car with C2000 + M34 from Meguiars.
    The paint seems to get clean after some time and the rust seems to be gone.

Please let me know your thoughts - maybe you have a better approach?

I plan on applying the M7 and let it saturate over the night.
    But I have a couple of questions for this process.
    I have watched some of your latest videos on this subject, maybe I got it wrong but I got a little confused.

How to use Meguiars Mirror Glaze 7 Show Car Glaze to restore antique and original single stage paint - YouTube

Do you remove the first application (the saturation) before adding the next? - or do you apply the second level onto the first layer?

Since I have had a hard time keeping the paint clean of rust between waxes I have bought the new Hybrid Paint Coating from Meguairs.
    In the video above you advice against applying a coating after the M7 process.
    Can you please elaborate? - I would like to incapsulate the condition of my car with something better than wax this time.

I'm looking forward to hear from you - have a nice day :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vifa View Post
    Hi Mike,

Just now I'm working on my Dodge Wayfarer Business Coupe '49. Original paint with a lot of patina and thin layers on several spots.
    It has always been hard to keep the paint clean between waxes, especially on the spots where the paint is almost down to bare metal.

So far I have used Iron Decon from Meguiars to remove the worst of the surface rust. Spraying on to a microfiber towel and applying one layer at a time. Wiping on and wiping off.

I have watched some of your latest videos on this subject, maybe I got it wrong but I got a little confused.

How to use Meguiars Mirror Glaze 7 Show Car Glaze to restore antique and original single stage paint - YouTube

Do you remove the first application (the saturation) before adding the next? - or do you apply the second level onto the first layer?

Since I have had a hard time keeping the paint clean of rust between waxes I have bought the new Hybrid Paint Coating from Meguairs.
    Can you please elaborate? - I would like to incapsulate the condition of my car with something better than wax this time.

Mike has moved onto 3D.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vifa View Post
    Hi Mike,

The M7 process imparts “moisture” to the paint and a coating needs to have completely clean paint. I’d recommend a strong sealant such as Griot’s Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax and apply it every 4-6 months. I worry the coating wouldn’t bond well with the M7.

5. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132