autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

I just read this article for the 11th time. I never get tired of it. I learn some new tidbit of information from it each time that I read it that I had previously missed.

This article is in my top 3 of my favorites by Mr. Phillips...and it may just be my number 1 article.

This article is an oxidized, dried out, tired ol' single stage paint KILLER!!!!
    Bill

Mike Phillips

Re: The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Quote Originally Posted by 57BORNTORUN View Post
    I am half way through it Mike, I will read it again and again.By the way which is you favorite hot sauce in a bottle? TIM.

Widow Hot Sauce - It will kill you...

My fiancé Stacy makes a really hot Habanero Hot Sauce too...

I'm not as good at graphics as Yancy...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    And for everyone that will read this into the future, before you "touch" the paint of something cool in bad shape, read this article...

The power in the after shots is created in the before shots

Widow Hot Sauce - It will kill you...

My fiancé Stacy makes a really hot Habanero Hot Sauce too...

I'm not as good at graphics as Yancy...

I think if Scoville was still alive he would be quite proud of you.Jonny Carson once said "I`ve been married so long I`m on my second bottle of Tabasco sauce".I guess thats not the case with you and Stacy.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

WOW!!!! This is one serious process in restoring this paint! i am so glad to have had richy point me in this direction! This thread was very insightful and full of learning. i skipped through the last few pages and i am not sure what is going on with al of the Hot Sauce talk, but defiantly sent me for a loop!

Thanks again Mike for all of your hard work and enthusiasm in perfecting the art of detailing!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing Autogeek.net and AutogeekOnline.net with your friends, this is truly doing win/win business and we do appreciate it.

Sat in a barn and then a garage for about 14 years! Ding dang that's a long time to be without your pride and joy...

And that's why when I wrote this article I specifically worded it the way I did and that includes this part, which is about the third paragraph down in the article...

For a lot of people, their first new car, or even their first car even if it was used, is very important to them, they don't want to make a mistake with it.

So I applaud you for keeping your first car for so long and it's a genuine pleasure to know that my article is helping you to preserve the original paint.

If it were mine, I would apply a thin coat of wax to the paint to help protect it until you can get back to this project again. Single stage paints tend to be porous and this is a good thing because it means you can put oil back into them. It's also a bad thing because it means these life giving oils can come back out of them.

By applying a thin coat of wax you will seal the surface, (to some level), and this will help to lock in the polishing oils you've already pushed back into the paint and lock or seal everything else out including both oxygen and water/moisture.

By applying a thin coat of wax you will seal the surface, (to some level), and this will help to lock in the polishing oils you've already pushed back into the paint and lock or seal everything else out including both oxygen and water/moisture.

Mike, Thank You!! It never dawned on me that the wax would help seal the oils in the paint, but after you mentioned it, it seemed so obvious.

"Sat in a barn and then a garage for about 14 years! Ding dang that's a long time to be without your pride and joy..."

The first few years it sat because I took a new job as a Division Manager with a distribution company to launch a new division. It was 12-16 hours a day sometimes 7 days a week setting up everything and getting it up and running, then a number of years to get things running smoothly. That left little time for anything but sleep for a number of years. Then we had grown so fast I was told to put together a proposal for the design and layout of a new warehouse that would allow for future predicted growth, equipment I would need(everything from shipping tables to fork lifts to delivery vehicles), staffing requirements, and computer programming modifications to solve some of the issues we had been having with the current software, the inventory to fill the new warehouse and the logistics for moving to the new facility. Then, just as things started to level off and run smoothly and I was able to take my first vacation since I had been there, I was in a bad car accident that forced my retirement at 40. I had been out of work a few months and even though my Dr. was against it, I talked him into letting me go back part time on a trial basis for two weeks, I really missed the challenges and the pressure. When I saw my Dr again after the two weeks I had to admit to him that he was right. I loved my job and the company where I worked, it took a number of years just for me to be able to accept that I would most likely never be able to work again, for me this was a very big adjustment that took a long time. Before I knew it all those years were gone, but at least I never sold the car.

Mike, Thank You again for all the help that you offer, and for the most valuable thing- your knowledge and
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints-trans-am-before-wax-06-24-2012-08c-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

my m7 and m80 have just arrived, ill be doing multiple applications of m7 as told in ur article. but i dont now how to use m80, i have never used an abrasive product before but tried m80 with dodo juice finger mitt on a clear coated car and managed to remove swirls with moderate pressure. how would you suggest using it with a foam pad. rotary can be summoned but it is dangerous so my first preference is to work by hand. i have meguiars pads and a dodo finger mitt

p.s pics coming up . honest this time :P

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by margallar View Post

my m7 and m80 have just arrived, ill be doing multiple applications of m7 as told in ur article. but i dont now how to use m80,
    What are you working on?

Sometimes it helps to share what the project is, you would be surprised at how often people start a thread and talk about all kinds of things and then never mention what it is they're working on?

Also, if this is an upcoming project, I would recommend starting a "dedicated thread" for it versus tagging onto this one...

i have never used an abrasive product before but tried m80 with dodo juice finger mitt on a clear coated car and managed to remove swirls with moderate pressure.
    That's the only way to work on most clear coats by hand and that's with moderate pressure, has to do with th hardnes... see this article,

Put a little passion behind the pad - Mike Phillips

how would you suggest using it with a foam pad. rotary can be summoned but it is dangerous so my first preference is to work by hand. i have meguiars pads and a dodo finger mitt

p.s pics coming up . honest this time :P

Apply the #7 by hand if you're working on antique or original paint. When it comes time to use the M80 with a rotary buffer and a foam pad I would recommend doing a follow-up with a DA Polisher to ensure no holograms. Free advice.

Do please start a dedicated thread though, it will be better for providing help along the way...

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said before amazing information just finished some of my homework. Thank you Mike you are truly amazing to the art of detailing, and thank you for sharing this link in my post. I have passion for this art can't wait to apply what i have learned today.
    Ross

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bamafire View Post
    Like I said before amazing information just finished some of my homework. Thank you Mike you are truly amazing to the art of detailing, and thank you for sharing this link in my post. I have passion for this art can't wait to apply what i have learned today.

Thank you for the kind words.

Some of the topics I write about are tips and techniques I've developed myself while other tips and techniques are simply information I've learned from those that have gone before me and I'm just passing it on...

I do my best to give due credit where credit is due as I think that it's the right thing to do to quote Bill Clinton...

Post Thanks / Like

incredible writeup

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast