autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Thanks AC. It looks like you agree that maybe I can and should cut out some steps. Your comment about not using a Terry Cloth makes sense too since it was mentioned earlier that the Terry helped muscle through the oxidation.

I appreciate your comments and reccomendations.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Mike,
    Just for clarity, I should have said in my original post that I plan to use my Flex for steps 4, 5, 6 and 7. Just wanted to mention that.

Again, I appreciate your time.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi mike Jeff bell I used that method along with mayo that's right mayo on two very very oxidized paint on rv . I found that if u didn't use those 2 methods the buffer would constantly walk and also high and low spots almost like tiger stripes got them both done looking well beyond my expectations clarity and glossy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Hi mike Jeff bell I used that method along with mayo that's right mayo on two very very oxidized paint on rv . I found that if u didn't use those 2 methods the buffer would constantly walk and also high and low spots almost like tiger stripes got them both done looking well beyond my expectations clarity and glossy.
    Why do you think mayo works?
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by AC in OC View Post

I'm sure Mike will respond to you better than I, but to answer your questions I will take a first pass.

GREAT ANSWERS!

Thanks for chiming in and helping out....

Quote Originally Posted by Harsh View Post

Mike,
    Just for clarity, I should have said in my original post that I plan to use my Flex for steps 4, 5, 6 and 7. Just wanted to mention that.

Again, I appreciate your time.

Thanks.

That will work. Just use the least aggressive product and pad to get the job done as paint like this tends to be thin and also softer than modern clearcoat paints.

Keep us updated as to your progress.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post

Hi mike Jeff bell I used that method along with mayo that's right mayo on two very very oxidized paint on rv .

Hi Jeff,

I could see Mayonnaise working on old single stage paint.

The primary ingredient in Mayonnaise is some type of oil.

Like vegetable oil or canola oil.

It is the oil that is penetrating into the oxidized surface and bringing it back to life, that is restoring the color and vibrancy.

While this might work the oils found in #7 are used not simply because they are an oil but because they have the unique ability to bring out the full richness of color in pigments, plus the other things the #7 Show Car Glaze does for paint.

For me, my time and my money and any project I'm working on.... I'm going to use #7 Show Car Glaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post

Why do you think mayo works?

It's the vegetable oil Al.

Post Thanks / Like

Well everyone, I got my first single stage project done a couple weeks ago and finally got the write up done on it.

1979 Lincoln Town Car revival

Thanks again to Mike Phillips. I wouldn't have been able to do this without you sharing your incredible knowledge in this thread

Post Thanks / Like

MIke,

On the first page you said:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

"XMT 360
    This is a step most people wouldn't do and you can skip but it's a step I like to do and here's why: XMT 360 is a light machine applied cleaner/wax that polishes to a high gloss.

The reason I chose this product is to clean off any left over residues from all the previous steps while leaving behind a high shine that's dry to the touch, not oily.

This product also will ensure any minor swirls or defects missed by the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze are removed. This cleaner/wax has a long buffing cycle which gives you lots of time to work a panel and wipes off incredibly easy.

For this step you can substitute any quality light cleaner/wax."
    I have some Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer which I thought about using as a substitute for the XMT 360 just after the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze step.

Do you agree that the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer would be a good substitute for the XMT 360?

Also, AC mentioned that I could probably skip this step, so I thought I would ask you. Considering the paint is in good condition would you think this step would be critical, optional, or not beneficial? I will skip the step if you don't think I need it, I just did not want to skip it and regret later. I look forward to your thoughts on this.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The car is not physically in my possession yet. When it is finished I will post some pics.

Mike Phillips

I have some Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer which I thought about using as a substitute for the XMT 360 just after the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze step.

Do you agree that the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer would be a good substitute for the XMT 360?
    No. I would not use a paint cleaner after rubbing antique paint down with #7.
    To put this in context and because so many people read this thread and too many people now days are "scanners" (not saying you are just saying people in general are scanners).

As a recap, the paint on this car I used for this write-up has single stage METALLIC paint.

What I wrote and what you quoted me as saying is VERY accurate.

What I mean is because the aluminum flake in the paint on this car bleeds BLACK RESIDUE I chose the LIGHT cleaner/wax to clean up any of the black residue on the surface and also because it does leave a dry, hard shine. Something I wanted for this paint and after all the oily applications of the #7.

In most cases and especially if the paint in question was NOT a metallic I would have sued a finishing wax. That is a wax without any cleaners or abrasives. Also called a show car wax.

Also, AC mentioned that I could probably skip this step, so I thought I would ask you.

Considering the paint is in good condition would you think this step would be critical, optional, or not beneficial? I will skip the step if you don't think I need it, I just did not want to skip it and regret later. I look forward to your thoughts on this.
    Yes. Skip using the cleaner/wax. You don't need this step and it would not benefit the process or the paint.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The car is not physically in my possession yet. When it is finished I will post some pics.

Already looking forward to the pictures.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great information. Thanks.

Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast