autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Quote Originally Posted by ren20 View Post
    Thank you for the article.

the paint on my 92 911 has seen better days. and you can clearly see the oxidation. I am gonna spend the winter restoring the paint using this method.

It has a single stage red paint. no metallic. Any recommendation on restoring red paints?

Can I use this method in a span of couple weeks? I can only work on Saturday due to time constrain.

The same process I used on Wayne Carini's car will do a perfect job of restoring the paint on your Porsche.

See this article,
    Wayne Carini 1954 Hudson Hornet Original Paint Restored by Mike Phillips

And this article for the exact products used on Wayne Carini's 1953 Hudson Hornet...

4 Steps to restore single paint paint - 1972 Mercedes-Benz 280 SE

The above article is the short version of the article you're reading right now.

On Autogeek.net

Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze

Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover

Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax

Lake Country Flat Pads

Porter Cable 7424XP

Flex XC 3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher

Microfiber Gloves

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Hi Mike,
    Thanks for the tip. I have another question regarding a product for you.

My local classic porsche restorer has recommend me to use bluemagic cream paste to polish the oxidation on the paint.
    bluemagic paste
    Do you have experience with such product?

these guys been in the business for 30+ years and highly praised by PCA folks. I am sure they had success with it. I'd like to hear different opinion on this.

Mike Phillips

Thank you for the article.

the paint on my 92 911 has seen better days. and you can clearly see the oxidation. I am gonna spend the winter restoring the paint using this method.

It has a single stage red paint. no metallic. Any recommendation on restoring red paints?

Can I use this method in a span of couple weeks? I can only work on Saturday due to time constrain.

I use the same technique outlined in this article to restore all the antique single stage paint I work on. There is no other product currently on the market with the history of success that's also been around sine the Model T and thus been around since single stage automotive paints were invented.

If neglected, antique single stage paint CAN BE restored then the approach I outline will restore it. If the paint is past the point of no return and #7 can't save it then my experience is nothing can save it.

Yes you can do this over the course of a couple of weeks...

Hi Mike,

My local classic porsche restorer has recommend me to use bluemagic cream paste to polish the oxidation on the paint.

bluemagic paste

these guys been in the business for 30+ years and highly praised by PCA folks. I am sure they had success with it. I'd like to hear different opinion on this.
    Probably better to start a dedicated thread.

I for one would not use a metal polish to restore antique, original paint. I think the idea or suggestion to use a metal polish on antique single paint completely misses the original point I make in the article on how to restore, preserve and maintain antique original single stage paints.

I'd suggest re-reading, not scanning my original article and take note that I recommend this process for cars that are important to the owner.

Not everyone cares about restoring and maintaining the original paint on ANY car and often times these people will dive right in with an aggressive compound when working on their cars.

I'm perfectly okay with that. I wrote this article for people that it's important to them to preserve the original paint.

Key word being original.

Since my how-to segment started airing on "Chasing Classic Cars" with Wayne Carine I get phone calls every week from around the country from guys that are working on classics and antiques trying to restore the original paint.

So my article is for these guys...

Thank you for the question...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I use the same technique outlined in this article to restore all the antique single stage paint I work on. There is no other product currently on the market with the history of success that's also been around sine the Model T and thus been around since single stage automotive paints were invented.

If neglected, antique single stage paint CAN BE restored then the approach I outline will restore it. If the paint is past the point of no return and #7 can't save it then my experience is nothing can save it.

Yes you can do this over the course of a couple of weeks...

Probably better to start a dedicated thread.

I for one would not use a metal polish to restore antique, original paint. I think the idea or suggestion to use a metal polish on antique single paint completely misses the original point I make in the article on how to restore, preserve and maintain antique original single stage paints.

I'd suggest re-reading, not scanning my original article and take note that I recommend this process for cars that are important to the owner.

Not everyone cares about restoring and maintaining the original paint on ANY car and often times these people will dive right in with an aggressive compound when working on their cars.

I'm perfectly okay with that. I wrote this article for people that it's important to them to preserve the original paint.

Key word being original.

Since my how-to segment started airing on "Chasing Classic Cars" with Wayne Carine I get phone calls every week from around the country from guys that are working on classics and antiques trying to restore the original paint.

So my article is for these guys...

Thank you for the question...

And I was one of those guys who read, then re-read those articles and even called the man himself to confirm methods. I worked on an even older Porsche than your '92 model. So, I would suggest following Mike's direction to a "T" as it will work wonders.

I did this detail over the course of a weekend, so you can definitely spread it out if you want: Resurrection! Breathing New Life Into Dead Paint

Be sure to take a ton of before pictures and share your results. It's very satisfying.
    "The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be." --- Socrates

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike,

bluemagic paste

Brings back memories of long ago-----
    Back in 1979 I bought a '77 Corvette that had been buffed by a dealer detailer. Even though it was a tan color, the swirls were very visible. Taking some advice from some old-timers, I did a test spot with Blue Magic, which I used on the aluminum wheels and also a test spot with cornstarch. Test spot #3 was done with Meguiar's #3 polish, followed by #7, both done by hand, since the paint on the body peaks was perilously thin from the previous work.
    Based on my test, metal polish stayed for wheel use only and cornstarch went back to the pantry.

Stick with the advice you get here.

Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by AC in OC View Post
    And I was one of those guys who read, then re-read those articles and even called the man himself to confirm methods. I worked on an even older Porsche than your '92 model. So, I would suggest following Mike's direction to a "T" as it will work wonders.

I did this detail over the course of a weekend, so you can definitely spread it out if you want: Resurrection! Breathing New Life Into Dead Paint

Be sure to take a ton of before pictures and share your results. It's very satisfying.

Thanks for adding the above. I was going to but it was EOD and I was trying to get out of the office for a dinner date.

Here's the results you achieved following my technique...

Before

After

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing transformation.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

Mike makes it look easy.... Because he is the best at what he does.

I can tell you that it's NOT easy at all....

It takes a lot of time... Days and days and could be over a week depending..... On ONE CAR...

And a lot of the hardest work will be by hand..... And there is no way around it.....

It's all about blood sweat and tears and the passion of bringing the paint back.

Yes, I have done it before, more than once and it's something that you really have to be commented 100% to before even taking on a job like that.

And make sure the customer is really willing to pay for it because it's not going to be cheap.

My hats off to Mike for showing the dedication and passion that is needed to achieve results like he did.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I did read your article more than 3 times already

I will make sure Bluemagic stays with my wheels. as soon as snow hits the ground. I will get to work!

By the way, what a transformation to that porsche!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I did read your article more than 3 times already

I will make sure Bluemagic stays with my wheels. as soon as snow hits the ground. I will get to work!

By the way, what a transformation to that porsche!
    Thanks. You shouldn't have any difficulties doing this procedure and taking your time. I happened to do this detail towards the end of July and man was it hot! You should be comfortable with the winter temps as you can work up a sweat on the #7 application. This 1st application is the hardest and then each subsequent step will go smoother and easier.

I don't know the condition of your paint, but if it's heavily oxidized like his one definitely do multiple applications. And remember, you don't have to scrub really, really hard in a vigorous motion. It's more like rubbing a sore muscle - you want to use firm pressure, but not hurt yourself in the process.
    "The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be." --- Socrates

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast