autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Show Car Garage Video: How to use the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video How to use the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer

Great job Mike P. Really liked the close-up this how to use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Video How to use the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer

Mike,
    I have a tip for you (and everyone else).

When the bucket is empty (no water, but all the washing parts), press down on the grit guard and then make a line inside the bucket with a Sharpie marker all the way around using the grit guard as a guide.

This way, when you are filling the bucket up, you know exactly how much water is needed even in the parts aren't in the bucket yet or if you sent a helper to go fill the bucket.

Here are some pics of my bucket, but the line is starting to wear off over time.

Good luck

Randy

Post Thanks / Like

I might be over thinking this.........but wouldn't the ink from the sharpie be a contaminant?

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Video How to use the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer

Quote Originally Posted by mcpp66 View Post
    I might be over thinking this.........but wouldn't the ink from the sharpie be a contaminant?

It isn't a concern of mine and hasn't been for the year I have owned and used the bucket.

It hasn't really washed off that much in a year, so very little has contaminated the 4 gallons of water that goes in the bucket each time.

There are a few people that write on the sides of their pads with marker to identify which products they use with that specific pad. That concentration of ink seems much greater than a thin line on a bucket.

I suppose if it was a big concern, a few dashed lines might work, instead of a full circle. There probably is a more permanent marker that lasts longer and doesn't contaminate the water, too. Heck, a guy could even use a scrawl to scratch a line in the side of the bucket.

For me, this is a good time saver and was quick and easy to do.

Your mileage may vary. Use this idea at your own risk. This idea is not endorsed by the FDA, EPA, CIA, ACLU, NFL, YMCA, or NBA. No Sharpies were harmed in the marking of this bucket.

Randy

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ZimRandy View Post
    Mike,
    I have a tip for you (and everyone else).

When the bucket is empty (no water, but all the washing parts), press down on the grit guard and then make a line inside the bucket with a Sharpie marker all the way around using the grit guard as a guide.

This way, when you are filling the bucket up, you know exactly how much water is needed even in the parts aren't in the bucket yet or if you sent a helper to go fill the bucket.

Randy
    Great Tip Randy!

I actually show this in this video,

The difference between a Normal Car Wash, a Waterless Car Wash and a Rinseless Car Wash and how to use a Rinseless Car Wash

And a similar tip in this how to article,

How dirty is too dirty to safely use a rinseless wash?

Fast easy way to measure 2 gallons of water

Now if you have a 5-gallon bucket like the 5-gallon buckets that come in ALL OUR car wash kits here at Autogeek, here’s a fast, simple way to measure 2 gallons of water.

Take any standard 12 inch ruler and fill the bucket till the water level reaches the 6 inch mark on the ruler, this will be approximately 2 gallons of water, (in the Autogeek 5-Gallon Buckets).

If you plan on using a rinseless car wash often you can even use a Permanent Marker to make a mark inside the bucket for fast reference when adding water.

Place a ruler into the Autogeek 5-Gallon Bucket till the end is against the bottom and make a mark at 6 inches.

Now every time you want to add 2-gallons of water, all you have to do is fill the bucket to the mark.

KISS = Keep It Simple Simon
    Little techniques like this save time by making frequent procedures easy to repeat over-and-over again without having to measure or think about it.

Hey I noticed your pictures are a whopping 1760 pixels WIDE! and 1168 pixels tall. The height of a picture doesn't matter much but good forum Netiquette is to resize your pictures to a maximum of about 800 pixels wide so your reader doesn't have to horizontal scroll.

I know a lot of people join forums, make a few posts and never come back because they're not really into "forums" but instead are just trying to get an answer to a question and move on. Perfectly fine.

But for anyone reading this that plans on hanging out on forums as a part of their life, then it's a good idea to learn how to work with pictures for use with discussion forums and it's really not that hard. I've written some how to articles that include links to free software and together with the software and the tutorial you can learn how to,

Crop out the fluff
    Resize your picture
    Upload your picture into the AG gallery (instead of) Photobucket
    Insert your picture into a thread (not the dreaded "attach a thumbnail" method)

Here's the link,

How-to work with pictures on discussion forums

And you can find that article as well as other article in a brand new forum group with articles on just tips and techniques on how to interact on discussion forums.

Tips, Techniques and How-to Articles for Interacting on Discussion Forums

Pretty cool. Using the forum to help people use the forum.

Hope you don't mind but I took the time to download your 1760 Pixel Wide Pictures, resize them and then upload them to your photo gallery here ZimRandy's Photo Gallery on AutogeekOnline. In a second I'll edit your post and insert the 800 pixel wide versions.

Like this one,

Again, thank for the excellent tip Randy, I can't believe I included this in the Rinseless Wash video but forgot about it for the Pad Washer video but a great idea all the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show Car Garage Video: How to use the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer

Mike,
    After you use the universal pad washer to wash/dry your pads. Is the pad dry enough to continue to use it for further polishing right away?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by matth9 View Post
    Mike,
    After you use the universal pad washer to wash/dry your pads. Is the pad dry enough to continue to use it for further polishing right away?
    It's best to blot any excess water out using a clean dry towel, especially if there are any concerns.

With a rotary buffer it's pretty easy to sling out the majority of water using centrifugal force, with all the other polishers you can sling out a lot of the water but not as thoroughly as the RB will do.

You're supposed to lift the polisher up a little and continue running it while it's still under the splash guard lid. Then you can run the pad against the Grit Guard Extension which will act to squeegee some excess water out of the pad.

It's not a perfect system, but it's a system that removes

Spent product
    Removed paint

So you can continue using the same pad while working cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

Great, thanks for the reply and write-up. This is going to 'my list'!