autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If it has paint... it gets polished...

Great Job Mike
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rohnramirez View Post
    Oooops..sorry. That's not exactly what i meant. Sorry for the confusion. What i meant was that the Unigrit # categories for cutting are also the same as those of regular sandpapers. Like if i were to use it by hand, 3000 megs Unigrit cuts the same as 3000grit of 3m sandpaper.
    It would apply when comparing Unigrit to Unigrit but probably not when comparing conventional wet/dry paper to Unigrit. Even if a conventional paper is #2000 and you compare to #2000 Unigrit, they are going to cut differently because of the control over particle size and distribution.

A paper that has more precise control over particle size and distribution is going to cut faster, usually longer and leave behind a more controlled sanding mark pattern than a paper with less control over it's particle size and distribution of particles over the working surface of the paper or interface medium.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    It would apply when comparing Unigrit to Unigrit but probably not when comparing conventional wet/dry paper to Unigrit. Even if a conventional paper is #2000 and you compare to #2000 Unigrit, they are going to cut differently because of the control over particle size and distribution.

A paper that has more precise control over particle size and distribution is going to cut faster, usually longer and leave behind a more controlled sanding mark pattern than a paper with less control over it's particle size and distribution of particles over the working surface of the paper or interface medium.

Understood, crystal clear. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work Mike!!! I can't wait for the Meg's sanding disc to be stocked.

Mike Phillips

**Update***

Just finished machine polishing each panel using M205 on a W8207 Foam Polishing Pad on the Rotary Buffer at 1500 RPM.

The previous step was to compound each panel to remove the #3000 Unigrit Sanding Marks using M105 with a W5000 Aggressive Wool Cutting Pad on the Makita 9227C Rotary Buffer at 1500 RPM. This removed the sanding marks but left shallow Rotary Buffer Swirls throughout the finish.

Before removing the swirls over the entire car I first did a test spot, (Although I already did this previously on the hood and roof), just to check my process again, this included machine polishing with the M205 with the W8207 with the rotary buffer and the wiping with Mineral Spirits and thin inspecting with the Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light.

Before starting with the polishing process I de-taped the car and hand rubbed any residue lines off using a microfiber applicator pad with the M205 by hand, then afterwards, as I moved from panel to panel with the polishing process I used the RB to carefully massage the paint where the residue lines were to insure there were no toweling marks.

Each panel was carefully polished section by section, panel by panel to remove the swirls left by the compounding step. After removing the swirls at 1500 RPM I would wipe the panel clean, then clean my pad, then re-apply fresh product and re-polish each panel at 600 RPM, slow and methodical, using light pressure.

If it has paint... it gets polished...
    Buffing out the major panels is alway easy, the lower panels take just a little more time and effort but complete the job. If you don't have a hydraulic lift to bring the car up to you, then you need to bring yourself down to the car...

After machine polishing each panel, the Brinkman Swirl Finder light was used to insure no sanding marks were missed and no swirls were left behind.

For really low panels, if you hold the light down low and at just the right angle it will shine just right to show the "surface" condition of the paint, this is the area you want to be looking at when inspecting. The part of the light I'm using in these shots is the small lit up area that's is the reflection of the bulb in the paint, not the large blown out area lit up by the light.

After Shots - This is after all the rotary buffer steps...

The rotary step are finished, next up will be to re-polish each square inch using a foam finishing pad and M205. After a Mineral Spirits wipe-down I couldn't see any swirls left in the paint but to insure there are no swirls I'm going to re-polish each panel and change the action of my tool to a oscillating action and this will insure there are no swirls. Plus, in the video this is what we demonstrated so to stay true to the video, each step that was demonstrated in video was purposefully applied to the rest of the El Camino.

Post Thanks / Like

great work

Mike Phillips

Next I Machine Polished with M205 on a W9207 Foam Finishing Pad on the 5.0 Speed Setting using the PC7424XP

I followed this with a machine applied application of M21 Synthetic Paint Sealant, for this used the Meguiar's G110v2 with another W9207 Foam Finishing pad on the 3.0 Speed Setting.

Note the placement of my left finger, I'm stabilizing myself as I lean out to seal the center of the roof but instead of touching any painted portion of the car I'm using the trim surrounding the window. At this point there are not defects in the paint and any new defects will show up like a Sore Thumb.

Shake shake shake... a small circle of product onto the face of the pad

I use the "Kissing the Finish" technique when machine applying a liquid wax or paint sealant, that is instead of taking the wax you see on the face of the pad and simply squishing it up into the foam by placing the foam pad flat against the paint, the Kissing the Finish" technique is where you touch down just an edge of the face of the foam pad and deposit a little of the wax to a portion of the panel you're working on.

Then after you've Kissed the Finish in a few places, take what's left and place the face of the foam pad against the paint and THEN turn the polisher on and begin making overlapping passes over the paint.

UNLIKE removing swirls with a DA Polisher where you only want to work a small section at a time, (about 20" squarish or so), if you've removed all the below surface defects and now you're just applying a wax or paint sealant, you can work a section as far as you can reach as long as you have ample product to spread out. For the hood of this El Camino I can easily reach and work on half of the hood so I use enough wax to coat over half of the hood and move the pad over each square inch at least 2-3 passes to sufficiently work the sealant over and into, (to whatever level possible), the paint.

As I come up to a dab of wax from where I "Kissed the Finish" with my pad, I tilt the polisher, lifting the leading edge of the pad but maintaining constant contact with the trailing edge of the pad and then run the pad over the dab of wax and then immediately lay the pad flat again and then work new territory with this new dab of wax.

Tilt the polisher a little to lift the leading edge of the pad...

Then lay the pad flat and begin working the wax or in this case a synthetic paint sealant over the paint.

Mike Phillips

And here's what an ample but thin, well worked-in coating looks like after machine application using a DA Polisher.

I'm using the Flash to highlight the coating of sealant otherwise it just doesn't show up very well...

Next I'll remove the dried sealant and let the protection ingredients left behind fully set-up over night and the next and almost last step will be to hand apply a layer of Füzion.

Then re-attach any trim components, check for wax in the cracks, (shouldn't be much), then take some after pictures and some after video and then return the car to the owner.

Post Thanks / Like

Owner will be astonished!
    2006 Lincoln Zephyr- 28% Solar Guard Charcoal tint, Pioneer DVD player/In-dash, Boston Acoustics component 5x7's

Future Ride- Either the 2008-09 Mustang Shelby GT or base Camaro SS

Mike Phillips

Let the 1969 El Camino sit in the Autogeek Garage all night after wiping off the initial application of M21 Synthetic Sealant. Swung by the garage today to pull her out and take a few pictures...

Here's the cake... cake is good... cake is even better with frosting on it...

Tomorrow we'll put the frosting on the cake...

Note the chrome trim around the side marker lights is still missing...

Note on the front fender the chrome trim for the side marker is still missing...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast