autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

How many microfiber towels does it take to coat a car?

How many microfiber towels does it take to coat a car?

Question: How many microfiber towels does it take to apply a ceramic or quartz paint coating to a car?

Answer: Lots of towels.

In my opinion and experience, you really need a lot of high quality microfiber towels to chemically strip paint in order to properly prep it for the application of any paint coating.

Why?

Because as you're wiping a polished surface off, (assuming there are polishing oils to be removed), if they are coming off the paint and onto your microfiber towel then you need to be switching out to fresh towels often. This means a LOT of fresh towels.

Each panel should be wiped two times and each time using a clean towel. A 2-door car with 9 panels would require 18 towels just for chemically stripping the paint.

A 4 door car has roughly 11 defined panels. There's also painted portions in the front and rear of the car that need to be chemically stripped if they are to be coated. Here's a list of the defined or independent panels for an average 4 door passenger car.

1. Roof
    2. Hood
    3. Trunk lid
    4. Driver's side front fender
    5. Driver's side front door
    6. Driver's side rear door
    7. Driver's side rear fender
    8. Back of car (not the trunk lid)
    9. Passenger side rear fender
    10. Passenger side rear door
    11. Passenger side front door
    12. Passenger side front fender
    13. Front of car that's not the hood

If you were coating a vehicle with less panels you would need less towels but if you were coating a large vehicle like a truck, it may have fewer defined or independent panels but some of the panels will be very large and for these you should use more towels. For example a Ford F150, Chevy Silverado, Dodge Ram or Toyota Tundra etc.

If you compound and polish the car before coating it then you'll need microfiber towels for these two steps and you'll need microfiber towels for wiping off the high spots after applying the coating.

Compounding step
    Figure a minimum of 5-6 microfiber towels to wipe compound off the entire vehicle.

Polishing step
    Figure a minimum of 5-6 towels to wipe polish off the entire vehicle.

These are minimum numbers for the compounding and polishing step. Of course you can use more depending upon your preferences and skill level.

Final wipe after coating application
    For wiping the coating off you need a minimum of 1 to 3 towels. Technically you could get away with just a single towel as all you need to do is give each panel a gentle buff as well as wipe off any high spots or more specifically, wipe off any excess coating residue.

Note: The term high spots means excess coating residue.

Before you start your detailing project take inventory of your microfiber towel collection and make sure you have plenty of microfiber towels for each of your step.

Just thought I would share this for anyone new to applying paint coatings.

On Autogeek.com

Microfiber towel options

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many microfiber towels does it take to coat a car?

great reminder for Seasoned detailers and Newbies
    Vision Detailing
    Richmond,KY.40475
    859-623-4435

Post Thanks / Like

Great information here Mike, as I plan on using Wolfgang's Uber Ceramic Paint Coating on a project later this year. Thanks for sharing.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell Jarvis View Post

great reminder for Seasoned detailers and Newbies
    Thanks Wendell...

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Parker View Post

Great information here Mike, as I plan on using Wolfgang's Uber Ceramic Paint Coating on a project later this year.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Craig...

I have another tip to share in this thread pertaining to mf towels tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike.

Are the towels for washing and drying, Iron-X and claybar included?

Post Thanks / Like

right on Mike following!!!!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post

Umm... "no".

If fact if you re-read what I wrote I thought I made it pretty clear what the microfiber towels are for. Here's a portion from the first post...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

[B
    Question:[/B] How many microfiber towels does it take to apply a ceramic or quartz paint coating to a car?

Answer: Lots of towels.

In my opinion and experience, you really need a lot of high quality microfiber towels to chemically strip paint in order to properly prep it for the application of any paint coating.

Why?

Because as you're wiping a polished surface off, (assuming there are polishing oils to be removed), if they are coming off the paint and onto your microfiber towel then you need to be switching out to fresh towels often. This means a LOT of fresh towels.

Each panel should be wiped two times and each time using a clean towel. A 2-door car with 9 panels would require 18 towels just for chemically stripping the paint.

The microfiber towels I'm talking about as it relates to the title of this thread has to do with prepping the paint surface AFTER any correction and polishing work is over.

It's about spraying the chemical used to dissolve polishing oils (and any other residues) that are on the paint surface so when you go to apply the coating the paint is bare naked clean.

For washing I like to use the Microfiber Chenille Wash Mitts.

For drying I use Guzzler Waffle Weave drying towels.

Iron X is used during the washing process so NO microfiber towels are needed to apply and remove Iron X.

If a person uses detailing clay to clay the paint AFTER the car has been washed and dried and thus a LIQUID clay lube is sprayed onto the car to act as a lubricant for the detailing clay and the claying action - then "yes" a person would then need some microfiber towels to wipe off and remove any clay lube residue.

Hope that clears things up about what the microfiber towels referred to in this article are for and why you need a lot of them to properly apply a paint coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again Mike
    I didn't seperate the chemical strip 18 towel part from the, if you are going to compound/polish part.
    I was confused because I didn't see a product name for the chemical stripping.

18 towels, wow.
    I thought it was more along the lines of 4-6
    Is the chemical strip, as in using Eraser, Optimum paint prep?

Mike Phillips

Thanks again Mike

I didn't separate the chemical strip 18 towel part from the, if you are going to compound/polish part.
    I was confused because I didn't see a product name for the chemical stripping.
    I didn't include a specific product name because the focus was on what I think is important if you're going to apply coatings and that's to have a lot of microfiber towels. So didn't mention a specific chemical stripper.

Fact is - doesn't matter which chemical stripper you use because the issue remains the same it's called,

Cross Contamination

That is, if you don't switch to a clean, dry microfiber towel often then you risk simply removing polishing oils from one panel or section of a panel and redistributing them to another panel or section of a panel.

And the bigger point would be

How do you know if your cross contaminating?

The answer is you don't. That's why you want to switch to a fresh, clean microfiber towel often.

18 towels, wow.

I thought it was more along the lines of 4-6
    Everyone can create their own method to the madness I'm just sharing my observations after coating to black vehicles back-to-back. The goal was to do professional quality work and by this I mean the coating I applied needs to form the proper bond or ALL THE PREVIOUS STEPS were wasted time and energy.

If polishing oils hinder a coatings ability to fully and effectively make a proper bond to a surface then the surface needs to be surgically clean.

Is the chemical strip, as in using Eraser, Optimum paint prep?
    Yes - these are both chemical strippers. The product I was using is the same product I showing in my London detailing class at Waxstock in a few weeks and that's the Wolfgang Perfect Finish Paint Prep

Great questions - questions like these force me to re-read what I write and do my best to explain what I mean clearly and that keeps my writing sharp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    How do you know if your cross contaminating?

The answer is you don't. That's why you want to switch to a fresh, clean microfiber towel often.

Spies are excellent detailers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast