autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: The SMAT PACK - Everything you ever wanted to know about Meguiar's SMAT products...

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    Mike .... nice work.

Please share with the other forums too, I know many Megs fans on CorvetteForum and consistently see the need for this info !
    I will after I make a few corrections, I found one word that was in the singular form when it should be plural, etc.

This is actually a part of a series that I'll write on all the compounds and polishes AG carries as well as how-to articles and videos on how to use the rotary buffer, Flex 3401, Porter Cable, etc.

Besides using the tools, you need to use the right pads and products and that's where articles like this will take over answering questions that come up in the future. Instead of typing out an answer, just copy and paste the blue, Clickable links I insert at the top of the beginning of each article.

Like this,

The SMAT Pack - Everything you ever wanted to know about Meguiar's SMAT products...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The SMAT PACK - Everything you ever wanted to know about Meguiar's SMAT products...

Subscribe

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Does D151 have the potential to remove more defects than ColorX?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Mike,

Does D151 have the potential to remove more defects than ColorX?
    Yes.

From what I know, D151 is about equal to or a tick more aggressive than M66 and M66 is about a tick more aggressive than ColorX.

Remember, when comparing products there's a lot of variables, like application method, (hand or machine and if machine which type of machine), application material, (wool, wool/acrylic blend, microfiber, foam, cotton, etc.), and things like time, pressure, skill level, experience, top coat hardness.

You can increase the cut of any product by using a more aggressive application material by hand or machine, the problem can be that the more aggressive your application material usually the finish quality will be reduced in a corresponding relationship to the aggressiveness of the application material.

Besides all that, ColorX uses DAT and theoretically the SMAT has the potential to possibly cut longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, Thanks for all the great info! Is there a particular reason you say to use the soft buff pads with the 105/205? Is it just that logic behind the fact that they are produced by the same company? I am assuming if I use my existing LC pads. Hydro, flat, and ccs that I use with my Menz products it will work just as well. Would I be wrong?
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the LC Hydrotech pads with 105/205 and have been very happy with the results.
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post

Is there a particular reason you say to use the soft buff pads with the 105/205?
    I scanned through all the pages of this thread to see where I listed Meguiar's pads and if I scanned correctly... it was in the actual article I wrote.

It was a little tricky formatting the article to separate out "Manufactures Directions" from my "Personal Comments", but I think you re-read what I wrote you'll see anytime you see a specific pad recommendation for a product it is a recommendation copied from the product label, not my personal comment.

But check me in case I'm wrong.

Regardless, to my knowledge you can actually use any foam pad that you fancy a liking to with SMAT products.

Post Thanks / Like

My mistake, I probably didn't pay close enough attention. Thank you!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

AWESOME! Thank you Mike for all the great information in this thread! Thanks for feeding the hungry like me!
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Mike, Is there a particular reason you say to use the soft buff pads with the 105/205?
    I remember seeing that somewhere too. Not even sure Mike said it. As I recall the reference was to the Surbuf MicroFingers R Series Buffing Pads at Surbuf MicroFingers R Series Buffing Pads, polishing pads, Microfingers pads, orbital polisher pads, surebuff, sur-buf

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast