autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: The Difference Between a Cleaner/Wax and a Finishing Wax

Quote Originally Posted by pokerbob781 View Post
    I have a quick question also. Is Menzernas Powerlock Paint Sealant a cleaner sealant or finishing sealant?
    From the Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint page... about the 4th paragraph down...

Quote Originally Posted by Autogeek.net
    Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant offers the latest polymer technology that not only lasts longer, it feels slicker to the touch. While it's blocking UV radiation and environmental damage, it's also keeping the paint cleaner with a super slick finish. Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant is totally synthetic so it stands up well to regular washes and rain showers and it keeps on protecting your vehicle.

We've brought in some new waxes and paint sealants since I wrote this article so I'll update it and add all the new products.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Mike!
    Authorized Dealer of
    D2FORGED WHEELS

www.gkautospa.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    We've brought in some new waxes and paint sealants since I wrote this article so I'll update it and add all the new products.
    Thanks Mike this is a great sticky! I'm surprised to see Max Wax as a Hybrid, that explains why it lasts so well...Great stuff.

Where does the new DP Poli-Coat fit in? Is it a cleaner sealant or a finishing sealant? If it's a cleaner, there is no advantage to multi coats (because one coat cleans the other away) over just one..correct? I'm assuming it is a cleaner because of statements in it's description like "self-prepping" and "built-in bonding agent". Thanks!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Im a bit surprised too to see that Megs #20 is a hybrid CLEANER wax....i woulda thought of it as a finishing wax lol....applying it as a last step after say...205 wouldnt be considered working backwards would it?

Post Thanks / Like

Mike - I'm confused about Megs NXT. I had always thought that NXT and Gold Class were cleaner waxes based on what you've stated in the past (here and at MOL). I thought Megs #20 and Yellow Wax were the non-cleaner waxes.

If autogeek's description of NXT states that it has cleaners in it. I have a new bottle of NXT v2.0 but haven't used it yet (since I have Collinite and KSG on my car right now).

Post Thanks / Like

Very in depth explanation Mike. I'm going to send the link to a friend who I think might enjoy reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by emaxxman View Post
    Mike - I'm confused about Megs NXT. I had always thought that NXT and Gold Class were cleaner waxes based on what you've stated in the past (here and at MOL). I thought Megs #20 and Yellow Wax were the non-cleaner waxes.

If autogeek's description of NXT states that it has cleaners in it. I have a new bottle of NXT v2.0 but haven't used it yet (since I have Collinite and KSG on my car right now).
    Nxt contains Kaolin clay, which is a light cleaner and will do best to remove previous layers of wax or sealants left on the surface. It also might remove light Type I waterspots and road grime left over from washing, but won't really be enough to remove swirls. It will fill the swirls a bit though.
    Never be afraid to do something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the titanic

Post Thanks / Like

Menzerna Sealing Wax APO 60 is rubbish in my opinion and I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Apparently Powerlock is so much better but I haven't personally used it as it is not available in Australia. I've recently gone from layering carnauba over a sealant to just multiple layers of Carnauba. I don't use hybrids and I certainly don't use any LSP that contains cleaners.

Mike Phillips

In simple terms a cleaner/wax is for either restoring neglected paint and it's able to do this because it has cleaners of some type in it, NXT and Gold class are not for use on neglected paint they are for paint in good to excellent condition, if your car's paint is in neglected condition to the paint it needs cleaning then before using one of these products you should use some type of polish or paint cleaner.

I personally would never use one of these products on neglected paint.

M20 is a light cleaner/wax, I've never stated otherwise. M26 is a show car wax or a pure wax, it is non-abrasive and should only be used on paint in excellent condition.

Both NXT and Gold Class Carnauba Paste Wax have been reformulated as new technology has become available, I know the head chemist at Meguiar's told me the NXT 2.0 was redesigned from the ground up, not just modified when it was reformulated. The current MSD sheet available to the public dates back to 2007.

Both Gold Class and NXT are targeted at the "Consumer Market" and because the average person only wants to do 2 things on a Saturday morning, that's wash the car and wax the car it makes sense to put something into a "consumer product" so that the wax will better adhere to the paint.

I just looked at both of the current packages and NXT recommends using a paint cleaner like ScratchX if the paint has swirls, scratches, water spots, oxidation or stains. I didn't see this on the outside of the Gold Class packaging but still, they're really not intended for neglected paint, if you have neglected paint they offer two "dedicated" cleaner/waxes specifically for restoring neglected paint and that would be ColorX and A12 Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax.

If they have any cleaning ability at all it's very light; again I wouldn't use either product on neglected paint.

Maybe contact Meguiar's directly and ask them if they would place NXT and Gold Class in the cleaner/wax category and if they say "yes", I already stated when I first wrote this article that product placement was subject to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Nxt contains Kaolin clay, which is a light cleaner and will do best to remove previous layers of wax or sealants left on the surface. It also might remove light Type I water spots and road grime left over from washing, but won't really be enough to remove swirls. It will fill the swirls a bit though.
    I've been inside of a laboratory and seen some very interesting things that it's better that I don't post to a public forum due to a trust issue, suffice to say, it taught me that only the chemist that makes the formula actually knows what's in it and what purpose each ingredient servers and reading a MSD sheet is not always the best way to make assumptions about any product from any company.

A long time ago a friend of mine at Meguiar's, his name is John Dillon, he taught me to,

"Keep the focus on the performance of a product not what's inside the bottle"

Ever since sharing that with me I've been practicing it and sharing it on forums.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Apparently Powerlock is so much better but I haven't personally used it as it is not available in Australia.
    I've used the Menzerna Powerlock and find it to be a nice product.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. As always, you've given a very thoughtful and detailed response.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    M20 is a light cleaner/wax, I've never stated otherwise. M26 is a show car wax or a pure wax, it is non-abrasive and should only be used on paint in excellent condition.

Both NXT and Gold Class Carnauba Paste Wax have been reformulated as new technology has become available, I know the head chemist at Meguiar's told me the NXT 2.0 was redesigned from the ground up, not just modified when it was reformulated. The current MSD sheet available to the public dates back to 2007.

If they have any cleaning ability at all it's very light; again I wouldn't use either product on neglected paint.
    My apologies on misquoting you regarding M20. I had misremembered the product number.

Interesting on the cleaning ability of NXT. I had KSG on my car over the winter and was going to top it off with NXT. I didn't use the NXT 2.0 because I was afraid that it would remove it. I didn't read the labeling on the 2.0 though.

I always liked the original NXT for its looks and slickness. It didn't last long but it was so easy to apply and remove.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast